U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,584 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 years old, from a town of 5,000 in Minnesota. The town I live in/grew up in is probably 99% white, no diversity. I have been thinking about moving for awhile, I have a friend who's brother lived out there and loved it. I've also been thinking about going back to school, looking in the Norfolk area. I am looking for something different, ready to jump in to a new adventure. How easy do you think the transition would be for a young, white female with barely any experience with diversity?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

Last edited by kt1991; 04-26-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM

368 posts, read 916,516 times
I'd say that it would be a nice experience for you and a real chance to see that, basically, people are people. As long as you stay in a good area (in Norfolk, that would most likely be Ghent), you'll find that most people (white and black and everything in between) will be lovely. If you stay in a bad area (which I wouldn't recommend), you'll find that some people (white and black and everything in between) can be quite unpleasant. It will most likely be less of a transition than you're expecting. Life can be disappointing (and wonderful) that way.

Best of luck!

Last edited by artistatheart; 04-26-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 AM

41 posts, read 71,052 times
Change is good! Do it while you're still young! I highly doubt you'd ever regret it.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,057 times
It would definately be sort of a culture shock at first.Norfolk is 80% black and alot of the black people in norfolk are racist towards white people.But there is alot of navy people here who like to have a good time too.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 AM

154 posts, read 356,828 times
Um, Norfolk is only 43% black. There are actually more white people (47%) than black people in Norfolk.

That being said, this is a diverse area. There may be a little culture shock to you but it won't be an issue if you are open minded. This is a great area (other than traffic, and the lack of a diversified economy.) By all means try it out.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 AM

120 posts, read 190,158 times
This area is not diverse by any means. It's essentially a bunch of white and black people, with a small sprinkle of everything else. What is so diverse about that? What is your definition of diverse anyway?

I've spent much of my life in Columbus Ohio and 3 years here. Hampton Roads couldn't hold a candle to even a mid-western city like Columbus in terms of diversity and being "cultured." If you're looking for true diversity, you need to move to a bigger city (ie. DC, NYC, SF, Seattle, Austin, etc.). If you're looking for a high cost of living without the amenities that typically go along with it, the beach, fair amount of traffic, a plethora of chain restaurants, then by all means, come.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,523,569 times
Norfolk is a good city. It's a city, meaning its got the good and the bad. While thesolution has a point in that Norfolk is lacking in terms of culture when compared to DC, SF, NYC, Seattle, etc., you have to remember that MOST places are lacking in culture when compared to those cities (even Columbus). However, Norfolk and the surrounding area does have enough going on to keep most people happy. There's good entertainment venues in the city like Harrison Opera House, Attucks Theatre, Wells Theatre, Scope, and The Norva (which is consistently ranked among the best music venues in the country). Lots of festivals that happen every year in this area, great restaurants and bars/clubs, outdoor amenities, and so on. There is culture here. Is it "in your face, everywhere you look" like in SF or NYC? Nope. But it's not non-existent either.

Norfolk's culture isn't always found in art galleries and jazz clubs. It's found in the established and proud neighborhoods with a strong sense of community. In those neighborhoods, where the residents are often retired Navy folks, longshoremen, and regular working class, you can see Norfolk's character and vibe. The people in this city are good people for the most part. Sure, places like Ghent and Freemason are hip and trendy and fun, but places like West Ocean View, Riverview, or Fairmount Park have their own unique vibe too. Norfolk's neighborhoods are diverse places with people with lots of different backgrounds, stories, and character. Norfolk's biggest problem is not the lack of culture, to me, but the lack of celebration for what we do have.

To kt1991, you'll be fine here. My mother moved here from Great Falls, Montana back in the 70s at age 15. She ended up in East Ocean View, where she had to take a city bus just to get to school and acclimated just fine. My advice would be to do like you're doing - ask questions and research as much as possible. Hampton Roads is a place where one can live however they want, from city life to rural farmland. Come check it out for yourself. You can always move back home, right?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM

275 posts, read 823,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
I've spent much of my life in Columbus Ohio and 3 years here. Hampton Roads couldn't hold a candle to even a mid-western city like Columbus in terms of diversity and being "cultured." If you're looking for true diversity, you need to move to a bigger city (ie. DC, NYC, SF, Seattle, Austin, etc.). If you're looking for a high cost of living without the amenities that typically go along with it, the beach, fair amount of traffic, a plethora of chain restaurants, then by all means, come.
Honest question: have you actually seen/explored the area, or given it a chance? Or do you just hate the area and refuse to believe anything positive about the area? I have a hard time believing that someone who's been here 3 years says this area lacks culture, esp. compared to a town like Columbus, unless they have preconceived notions and simply refuse to look around because they hate the area. BTW, you do realize DC, NYC, Seattle, etc. have traffic issues and high costs of living, too, right? Doing a quick check, Columbus' racial demographics are pretty similar to VB, so no, the diversity is not much better.

OP, XGrendelX is right, there is culture here, and there's more than the suburbs and chains, but you gotta actually look for it.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 AM

120 posts, read 190,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
Honest question: have you actually seen/explored the area, or given it a chance? Or do you just hate the area and refuse to believe anything positive about the area? I have a hard time believing that someone who's been here 3 years says this area lacks culture, esp. compared to a town like Columbus, unless they have preconceived notions and simply refuse to look around because they hate the area. BTW, you do realize DC, NYC, Seattle, etc. have traffic issues and high costs of living, too, right? Doing a quick check, Columbus' racial demographics are pretty similar to VB, so no, the diversity is not much better.

OP, XGrendelX is right, there is culture here, and there's more than the suburbs and chains, but you gotta actually look for it.
Nope, haven't explored at all, I'm just basing this totally on hearsay

VB is not bad by itself. But I wasn't talking about just VB. VB is a part of Hampton Roads, and I was talking about HR as a whole.

Where did I say DC, NYC and the like didn't have loads of traffic? Show me. Same with the high cost of living. Show me where I said they did not have such things. Please re-read what I wrote. There are many amenities within those larger cities that you can expect with a higher cost of living. What do you get out here for a nearly comparable cost of living? I'm not saying there is NOTHING to do out here and that there is NO culture. But to suggest someone to move here based on the area's apparent high amount of diversity... well that is just plain wrong.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 AM

275 posts, read 823,416 times
I misunderstood your point. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area