U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,621 times

Advertisements

I know absolutely nothing about Virginia Beach, let alone Virginia. I am considering a position that will land me in VA Beach. It's a pretty big move. I am married with 4 kids and we are coming from Kansas City, MO. I have many questions. However, my main questions are, what are the best parts to live in? How is the cost of living? I am not concerned about city crime on a whole (have you seen the news in KC lately?) I am more concerned about not being "in" it. We like the suburbs, and more rural areas. I don't mind neighbor, but I prefer they not be right next to me . Basically looking for some knowledge from someone who knows the city, and the good points, not just the bad. Is it worth the move? Any input is truly appreciated! Thank you

Tyler
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM

154 posts, read 348,847 times
Cost of living is at about the national average, which is going to be higher than KC. Virginia Beach is basically a giant suburb, with some rural areas in the south. It's a nice enough place, with low crime. If you don't mind chain stores/restaurants and the lack of culture you'll find in a true city, you might like it. It's a good place to raise kids.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 PM

120 posts, read 184,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
Cost of living is at about the national average, which is going to be higher than KC. Virginia Beach is basically a giant suburb, with some rural areas in the south. It's a nice enough place, with low crime. If you don't mind chain stores/restaurants and the lack of culture you'll find in a true city, you might like it. It's a good place to raise kids.
HR in general is above the national average for COL. The national average is 100, HR is 111. For reference, Chicago is 116.

Consumer Price Indexes, Cost of Living Index - The 2012 Statistical Abstract - U.S. Census Bureau

Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
It's a nice place for a vacation (Va Beach) but you may not want to live there.
You say you don't care about the crime, but an 11 yr old boy was walking in
a good neighborhood of Norfolk and got shot in the foot last night by some random drive by shooting.
The boardwalk at Va Beach was in near riot on oceanfront as thousands of college kids descended
Upon it one weekend a few weeks ago and all hell broke loose.
The police admitted they couldn't handle it.
You never see enough patrol cars and all the wrong people own guns.
Shootings happen in HR all the time. Lots of drugs in all areas. Lived in Ocean View, Va Beach And Ghent in Norfolk.
Had drug neighbors having their drug dealers delivering their pot and pills and dope and crack.
Our landlord did nothing even when a few tenants showed him proof of all the trafficking.

Ocean view area borders on Va Beach and although they have built a multimillion dollar development and filled it with beautiful oversized homes, the surrounding area is a cesspool and I don't care what the locals pontificate about it being great, it's not.
Their supermarket Farm Fresh is a dirty overpriced dump with some scary clientele.
I personally saw two big fights erupt. The addicts are walking around with their pants around
Their knees and showing dirty drawers. Don't go out at night there. Too many drunks
With nothing to do but drink throw up and fight. We saw it all.
it may have been better in the good old days, but it is definitely past its prime.
Some of the things we saw were unreal, pathetic, frightening, comical and sad.
It would be funny if it wasn't real. You can't make this
Stuff up.. But then again Hampton Roads was never anything to brag about.
The scenery is dull, lots of small tract homes. Poverty stricken areas. Some are
Oppressive really.

Va Beach and Chesapeake has some beautiful "pockets" of good neighborhoods but you have to check
Them out really well. Looks can be deceiving. Some people love it there. It' s your call.
Bad things happen there too.

I am thrilled we left and never looked back. You have a job and that is great because
Jobs are not plentiful and some fields pay much less than national average.
I can understand that in Florida where the beaches and scenery are beautiful, and at least
There is some sort of trade off, but not in squid town.

Having said all that, do your homework, it may be perfect for you. Just don't skim over
Crime reports and school grades for your children and family.
Wish you all the best with your move.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM

1,653 posts, read 5,407,447 times
^ Wow...

I grew up in this area, and live in Ocean View now and never seen anything even close to what this poster is talking about. Obviously Norfolk has some struggling areas, and a handful of neighborhoods with extreme poverty, but Ocean View ain't one of 'em. The only time I've seen something even remotely close to what Coolbluesea describes is at Greenies after the St. Paddy's Day parade (it can get a little rowdy there for sure).

I lived in San Francisco's Tenderloin for a year, and experienced what being in a real "skid row" is like. Ocean View is nothing like that.

However, since the OP mentions they don't want to be "in" it and prefer more space, I'd look into Chesapeake or even Suffolk. The commute shouldn't be too bad as long as you're not really out there near the state line. Virginia Beach might be okay for you as well, but traffic can be bad along surface streets and some neighborhoods might be too dense since you don't want to be right next to your neighbors.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM

179 posts, read 446,889 times
I have lived in Virginia Beach, Suffolk, and now Chesapeake. I prefer Chesapeake. It is central to most places and my kids have great schools. We live in the Grassfield HS zone, beautiful neighborhood, but you can also get a bit more rural if that is what you are looking for.

I think it is a great place to raise a family! Yes it is quiet and there isn't any nightlife.... but there are lots of kids sports, outdoor activities, 20 min from the beach, a 20 min from Downtown Norfolk if I want to do a festival or something.

Here is the link to Grassfield HS Greatschools listing, Grassfield High School - Chesapeake, Virginia - VA - School overview

Old 05-27-2013, 06:37 AM

2,190 posts, read 7,189,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbluesea View Post
The boardwalk at Va Beach was in near riot on oceanfront as thousands of college kids descended
Upon it one weekend a few weeks ago and all hell broke loose.
The police admitted they couldn't handle it.
Tens of Thousands; estimates were put at 40K and only half were estimated to be current students. The police could not handle it, the mistake was made was that they knew it would of been big and could of got state troopers involved. These events are rare and if you'd like to increase your odds of being safe, when you hear about these kinds of festivals happening, consider not staying out until 2am, walk in groups and stay on the main well lit roads.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM

57 posts, read 174,894 times
commuting from Suffolk to Va. Beach would be hell. Some more space in southern Va. Beach and not such a terrible drive.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM

5,952 posts, read 8,968,042 times
Virginia Beach is a nice place to raise a family. We are never in need of something to do as a family. The schools in VA Beach are some of the highest rated in the state. If you want more rural I'd go for southern VA Beach. For the most part anything zoned for Kellam HS will be more rural, but of course there are exceptions to that.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM

12 posts, read 20,255 times
It's hard to generalize about the cities in Hampton Rds, there is much diversity, crime rates can vary so much. We live within a few miles of Grassfield HS in Chesapeake but are zoned for Oscar Smith, a school with a much less favorable reputation but it did well in state for football. In general you could find a nice life for your family in Va Beach or Chesapeake if you decided to take the job. It's worth checking out and visiting the area. If you decide you want the job, then get more specific and you can learn about school systems and neighborhoods near where you plan to work. One big thing, it's a transient military community which has big pluses and minuses-- plus side, people are very open, friendly, anything goes. I've lived in Hampton Rds for 13 years and rarely get the vibe of "keeping up with the Jones." Even doctors here are down to earth. Lots of diversity, accepting attitudes, great restaurants (in Norfolk that is, but that's not far). Lots to love. Down side to a military community, majority of your friends move in a short period of time. We're considering a move to the Raleigh NC area because of this. We want our sons to have a slightly more consistent community, and better schools overall. (check greatschools.org for ratings). If we decide to stay, we'll make a go of it. We'll seek out more permanent residents. It's just a community always experiencing changes, like the tides, hard for us to get our footing. But some people like that. Let us know if you decide to come and have more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area