Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,107 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Navy, we will be moving from San Diego in the end of June beginning of July, to VA. We will be stationed in Norfolk. While house hunting, I came across Cape Charles. The rent is very affordable. And although the toll is high, the lower rent compensates and we stay within the money that they give us for housing. Especially considering the outdoor activities which we would certainly take advantage of if we lived there, like kayaking, canoeing, fishing, hiking, the beach.. we are into all of that and were somewhat disgruntled about our orders to VA instead of WA which we hoped for, so that we could easily enjoy the great outdoors. It would be an hour commute for him in the mornings to Norfolk. Is there a commuter discount for the HWY 13 toll? The reviews on the elementary school are quite disheartening, but there were only like 4 reviews that I could find. Are there any other people that make a daily commute to Norfolk Naval Base? An established car pool? Any idea how long the intend on keeping the toll for or at that high rate for? Is there any portion south of the town of Cape Charles or in Cape Charles itself that allows one to have goats, chickens, and rabbits? Thank you everyone for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 AM

41 posts, read 79,172 times
Check out this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/hampt...s-norfolk.html

Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,748 times
Default Live on the Eastern Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcrae View Post
My husband is in the Navy, we will be moving from San Diego in the end of June beginning of July, to VA. We will be stationed in Norfolk. While house hunting, I came across Cape Charles. The rent is very affordable. And although the toll is high, the lower rent compensates and we stay within the money that they give us for housing. Especially considering the outdoor activities which we would certainly take advantage of if we lived there, like kayaking, canoeing, fishing, hiking, the beach.. we are into all of that and were somewhat disgruntled about our orders to VA instead of WA which we hoped for, so that we could easily enjoy the great outdoors. It would be an hour commute for him in the mornings to Norfolk. Is there a commuter discount for the HWY 13 toll? The reviews on the elementary school are quite disheartening, but there were only like 4 reviews that I could find. Are there any other people that make a daily commute to Norfolk Naval Base? An established car pool? Any idea how long the intend on keeping the toll for or at that high rate for? Is there any portion south of the town of Cape Charles or in Cape Charles itself that allows one to have goats, chickens, and rabbits? Thank you everyone for your help.

I highly recommend the Eastern Shore if you like the things you say. Yes, you can very much keep animals and chickens at most places outside the city limits of Cape Charles. It is VERY rural. The toll is supposed to go down to $5 each way for regular commuters in Jan of 2014! I am really looking forward to it. I to work for the military and commute to Portsmouth. There are others that do it to, some to Little Creek, some all the way to Suffolk! Don't let the suburbanites that love the cookie cutter nature of Hampton Roads discourage you, it is worth it to live on the Shore if that is your lifestyle preference. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk is a zoo and the traffic is terrible. The commute from the shore is easy and beautiful.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 12,748 times
Default Schools

Don't be discouraged by the schools. Kiptopeke Elementary is fine. If you have older kids, look into Broadwater Academy. It isn't that unaffordable, about the price of daycare, and is VERY good. The kids will have about a 30 min bus ride but the bus does come down south of Cape Charles to pick the kids up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area