U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM

8,578 posts, read 6,409,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenblan View Post
so glad to see that others are taking a look at their bills. The city council decided to take away our free trash pick up and put the money that was in the fund elsewhere...I wonder where that went? I am hopping mad about it and would surely be up to take a stand against the city for just outright raising our fees and continuing to do so. A lot of people I know or knew have left V.B. because the total cost of living is outrageous. That is unless they are in the military and get all of the breaks, even on rental fees, not to mention everything else.
I would have agreed to go along with you until that last sentence. The military don't get 'all' the breaks. My daughter retired from the Navy last year. Believe me, she didn't get any breaks on her rent while she was active duty nor does she get any breaks now that she's retired. It would be more accurate to say her rent was higher than the average because the landlord was paid directly by the government.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,243 times
Default Our Water Bill

I always round up on our bills, so you might imagine my surprise when we received our water bill for the month of August at $207.41 (even with the measly less than two dollar credit.) Aghast, I read over the charges before emailing and calling my friends from our surrounding states and even further. It seems that their average monthly water bill totals $40.00 (as does my Mother's who takes care of two of our elderly relatives for a total of five people living in the home.)

Our home consists of a family of four including a toddler and an infant. True, I do laundry almost daily. I also use my dishwasher twice a day to disinfect bottles and sippy cups. However, the other people I spoke with seem to do the same. So, why is our water bill so exorbitant when compared to theirs? I would love an answer.

If the answer is reelecting our city officials and demanding fair prices, I hope that we all make a showing at our next election. Is this issue even on the ballot?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks Beach Mom View Post
I always round up on our bills, so you might imagine my surprise when we received our water bill for the month of August at $207.41 (even with the measly less than two dollar credit.) ....
Remember that in Virginia Beach the only charge based on how much water we use is called water. The other charges are a per-day charge for every day in the billing cycle, not useage (usage?). An active account could be without ANY running water for the entire billing period and still incur a utility bill of over $100! Then the city adds in our trash pickup charges. Added to that is the fact that we get billed every other month, not every month, which makes these exorbitant bills even harder to take.

I've never seen anything like this billing setup. At one time I used to work in city government in a town in Texas. Our municipal utility charges were based on how much water was used by the customer. If we had pulled something like this, the citizens would have raised such an uproar it would have been heard all the way to the capital. I've tried to research this whole issue to find out when this billing structure was implemented and the rationalization for it but I gave up. It was too overwhelming for me.

All I can tell you is it's in the city's budget, any proposals or changes are approved by the city council, and upon the effective date, it becomes official.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
Thumbs down robbery from the city

My water bill gets higher and higher and higher, yet we are a resource conservatory household. We have been modifying our lifestyle around the house to conserve water, energy and other resource as much as we can. I have been noticed that our usage of water or electricity is getting lower and lower, but the bill amount is getting higher and higher. This is just ETHICALLY wrong!!!!.

The city needs to investigate why the bill are sooo sky rocketing high. This structural set up is so profitable for the city from residents' pockets.

Last edited by youce; 01-22-2015 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youce View Post
My water bill gets higher and higher and higher, yet we are a resource conservatory household. We have been modifying our lifestyle around the house to conserve water, energy and other resource as much as we can. I have been noticed that our usage of water or electricity is getting lower and lower, but the bill amount is getting higher and higher. This is just ETHICALLY wrong!!!!.

The city needs to investigate why the bill are sooo sky rocketing high. This structural set up is so profitable for the city from residents' pockets.
You can try calling the utility department to ask why the bill is so high but be sure to have your bills from the last few cycles just in case there really might be a leak .

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope on getting too much help from them in the way of explanation. The city's revenue setup sure isn't very friendly for us residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area