U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM
 
53 posts, read 74,147 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

I've done my research and South Chesapeake, and the neighborhoods with the better schools in VA beach (Princess Anne and Ocean Lakes) are our choice. We've been to different neighborhoods looking at homes. MUCH CHEAPER THAN NOVA!

My real question has anyone moved here and took a pay cut, but still found themselves with more net income or at least break even?

We gross about $84000 in Nova and take in $16000 Child support a year, and in 5 years that will drop a little. We do pretty good. Our main goal is to buy a home, which is considerably cheaper in the Hampton s than NoVa. Richmond suburbs are even cheaper, but as Filipino Asian, I'd rather have my kids in an area with more Asian diversity. (We are Filipino, but yet speak only English, and are Evangelical Conservatives) I've been looking and the average home in our area of NoVA for what we want is $325,000 for a 3 bed, 2 bath Townhome 1600sqft. I saw plenty of detached and TH's that were averagely $200,000 with TH's as low as $125,000 in good area's with good schools in the VB oe S Ches.

We are medical field workers and there are openings at local hospitals...

Thanks for any replies!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,859,440 times
Reputation: 3748
Interesting, this place may actually have more Fillipino Americans than one would think. I'm not sure where though; I've seen restaurants in Virginia Beach and Norfolk, so they may have a larger population of Fillipinos than say, Chesapeake or Portsmouth, but I could be wrong.

As far as net income, you probably already know that pay rates are much lower here, and housing is only cheaper than NoVa if you desire a working class neighborhood. But there are places less than $200,000; whether or not they are up to your standards is a different story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,859,440 times
Reputation: 3748
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystsyde View Post
I've done my research and South Chesapeake, and the neighborhoods with the better schools in VA beach (Princess Anne and Ocean Lakes) are our choice. We've been to different neighborhoods looking at homes. MUCH CHEAPER THAN NOVA!

My real question has anyone moved here and took a pay cut, but still found themselves with more net income or at least break even?

We gross about $84000 in Nova and take in $16000 Child support a year, and in 5 years that will drop a little. We do pretty good. Our main goal is to buy a home, which is considerably cheaper in the Hampton s than NoVa. Richmond suburbs are even cheaper, but as Filipino Asian, I'd rather have my kids in an area with more Asian diversity. (We are Filipino, but yet speak only English, and are Evangelical Conservatives) I've been looking and the average home in our area of NoVA for what we want is $325,000 for a 3 bed, 2 bath Townhome 1600sqft. I saw plenty of detached and TH's that were averagely $200,000 with TH's as low as $125,000 in good area's with good schools in the VB oe S Ches.

We are medical field workers and there are openings at local hospitals...

Thanks for any replies!!!
Unless you find a job here don't bother. Culturally this this place is nothing like Northern Virginia and the proximity to Washington D.C is what you pay for with NoVa. If you're just moving to save a few bucks it isn't worth it.

You can get by $50,000 a year here. Housing is cheaper here. Everything else should be the same.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
41 posts, read 69,390 times
Reputation: 39
There is a large Filipino population in the Kempsville area and also off of Indian River Rd in Virginia Beach. Just FYI. And I'd be weary of anything costing only $125k in VB.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,859,440 times
Reputation: 3748
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbonfay View Post
There is a large Filipino population in the Kempsville area and also off of Indian River Rd in Virginia Beach. Just FYI. And I'd be weary of anything costing only $125k in VB.
People move here trying to save money then just complain because things are different here. I agree, you can't get the "Virginia Beach experience" only paying $125k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 2,354,986 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystsyde View Post
I've done my research and South Chesapeake, and the neighborhoods with the better schools in VA beach (Princess Anne and Ocean Lakes) are our choice. We've been to different neighborhoods looking at homes. MUCH CHEAPER THAN NOVA!

My real question has anyone moved here and took a pay cut, but still found themselves with more net income or at least break even?

We gross about $84000 in Nova and take in $16000 Child support a year, and in 5 years that will drop a little. We do pretty good. Our main goal is to buy a home, which is considerably cheaper in the Hampton s than NoVa. Richmond suburbs are even cheaper, but as Filipino Asian, I'd rather have my kids in an area with more Asian diversity. (We are Filipino, but yet speak only English, and are Evangelical Conservatives) I've been looking and the average home in our area of NoVA for what we want is $325,000 for a 3 bed, 2 bath Townhome 1600sqft. I saw plenty of detached and TH's that were averagely $200,000 with TH's as low as $125,000 in good area's with good schools in the VB oe S Ches.

We are medical field workers and there are openings at local hospitals...

Thanks for any replies!!!
Central Virginia Beach would be the closest to the medical complex and areas with the most Asians around here. Virginia Beach in general and areas like Salem, Kempsville, and Tallwood specifically have large Filipino populations as many families settled here after getting out of the Navy.

Filipino American Demographics - Hampton Roads

There is even a Filipino cultural center on Baxter Rd near town center where events are hosted.

Philippine Cultural Center of Virginia

There is also a large "mixed" population around here with many black/white, white/asian, black/asian kids running around.

If you guys are in the medical field you could certainly do Ocean Lakes or Princess Anne school districts as both are pretty close to the large medical complex near the amphitheater. It is definitely doable but at the end of the day I would move here because you prefer the lifestyle not just to save a few bucks. It will not be significantly cheaper and with the pay cut you will probably take you may just break even after it is all said and done. My wife took a small paycut and I took a raise when we moved back here, of course we came from Honolulu so the savings on housing is VERY noticeable, but moving from NOVA suburbs it will probably just save you a few hundred a month that you will just spend on something else. We like it here a lot, there are good schools, great parks, beach access, and generally nice folks... but there are plenty that move down here (particularly from Northern locales) that complain the pace is slow and the place has no "culture". You have to figure out what is important to you...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM
 
120 posts, read 184,154 times
Reputation: 82
Just as many of the previous posters mentioned, you won't realize much in savings once you factor in the lower pay. The cost of living around here is really not much lower than the DC metro area.

I would consider parts of NC such as the Raleigh-Durham area, parts of Texas, and the Midwestern areas if your main goal is to save money and buy an affordable home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,859,440 times
Reputation: 3748
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
Just as many of the previous posters mentioned, you won't realize much in savings once you factor in the lower pay. The cost of living around here is really not much lower than the DC metro area.

I would consider parts of NC such as the Raleigh-Durham area, parts of Texas, and the Midwestern areas if your main goal is to save money and buy an affordable home.
Good post. OP, as long as you stay out of Chicago and the downtown areas of Midwestern cities there is a considerable price difference. Downtown Midwest, no matter what city you move to, is expensive. But the actual neighborhoods are unusually cheap, and you truly can find decent housing for $125,000. Particularly in cities like Cleveland and Detroit. Columbus and Indianapolis will be a little bit higher.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM
 
120 posts, read 184,154 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Good post. OP, as long as you stay out of Chicago and the downtown areas of Midwestern cities there is a considerable price difference. Downtown Midwest, no matter what city you move to, is expensive. But the actual neighborhoods are unusually cheap, and you truly can find decent housing for $125,000. Particularly in cities like Cleveland and Detroit. Columbus and Indianapolis will be a little bit higher.
You can most definitely find homes in Columbus and Indy for close to that price mark. I found some decent ones in Columbus, close to Easton moving towards New Albany that were less than $150k. I know a few co-workers in Indy that pay less than $1k monthly for their mortgages. Oh how I wish I was paying what they're paying
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM
 
53 posts, read 74,147 times
Reputation: 31
I'm originally from the west coast. Las Vegas, NV and San Diego, CA primarily and spent some years in Hawaii as well. When I moved to VA a year we were planning on living in Fredericksburg area where my in laws are at. The only places we got jobs at were in Nova. Applied in Richmond, Nova, and DC.

What is important to me is good schools, slower pace of life, and and to just enjoy life. My wife and boys rather live in a house than a townhome and so would I. We have 4 boys and love to camp and fish as well as play sports. Doesn't take much to please us. I wanted to get away from the big metro areas for once. Living in the Centreville and Manassas area of Nova it's not that bad especially since we live and work in generally the same area. I'm not expecting Texas, Vegas, or Arizona prices, but I've drove around the Hamptons a few times and I like the homes that are in the $200,000 to $250,000 range.. beats a TH for $300,000 $350000 and all TH have $100 to $300 HOA fees. A $20,000 down payment will do nothing in Nova either.

I grew up a good part of my life around Air Force bases, so jet noise is like background noise... I guess the only way to find out is apply for a job and see what they will offer me, if it is sufficient then I'll move... We will be there this Sunday to go to the beach and maybe stay at First landing as well...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top