U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,524,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i guess you have to figure out if you would
rather live in a more spread out environment
next to the ocean and bay, or a crowded,
suburban area somewhat near a narrow river.
Makes sense. But it sounds like the OP might have already made up her mind. In post #7 she mentions that's she's already got into ODU and NSU. Those are both in Norfolk aren't they?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 AM

8,013 posts, read 10,436,495 times
^ yep.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM

122 posts, read 275,348 times
I got into school in UMD in Maryland as well. I am still trying to decide dont have much time though. My mom went to college in MD and has family there. However i have family on my dads side in VA and it is more affordable.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM

59 posts, read 100,048 times
Not to be a dick (I feel like that all I do on this forum, and I'm really a nice person, HR is just uniquely horrible) but this is kinda in my wheelhouse. Healthcare is questionable here. Good healthcare flows from good nurses, docs and allied health professionals.

Those are people who generally have choices on where to live. Those people here chose money if they have options, don't have options (eg. not competitive or have family here), or don't care. Either prepare for less than optimal outcomes or lots of extra billable interventions!

If you are considering medical training here...

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,741,559 times
Geork, do you think HR is uniquely horrible just in the healthcare dept. or all around?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM

2,741 posts, read 6,196,526 times
Wiiliamsburg has a top 5 mental hospital in the Country. It is one of the oldests hospitals in the US
Sentara's emergency/heliocoper group tanks top 10 in the US.
Sentaras hospitals are ranked top 10 in the Commonwealth per USNews /WR
A quick google search shows Sentara referencing many USNews/WR ranking the hospital system in the top 40 in the country.
I have had very bad experiences with doctors in NOVA on the whole. I still detest my GP but the ones I've tried are frightening. The docs in Nova I want always fill up very quickly and "are not taking new patients" So I stay with him.
Best Doctors were in Chicago and San Diego. Professional, up-to-date, great listeners, patient and reflective.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM

368 posts, read 916,025 times
I also have to take exception with the sweeping (and I feel erroneous) generalizations about HR's health care providers. We are a family of six and have seen a good many doctors in the four years we've been here. The doctors in this area are as good (and, in many cases, better) than the doctors we've seen in the many other areas of the country we've lived. There have been many opportunities for "lots of extra billable interventions!" But, you know what? No one has ever actually suggested any. I've actually, in quite a few instances, had doctors demure from doing interventions or tests that they said were just plain unnecessary. And they were right! My husband (who has only been to the doctor two times since we've been living in HR, but has actually been quite pleased) ordinarily hates going to the doctor because he says they're always doing all sorts of "tests and procedures for things that turn out to be nothing." Know where he grew up, Geork? Denver.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:22 PM

8,578 posts, read 6,524,911 times
I don't really have a lot to compare in the health care field (which might be a good thing) but for the medical issues I've had, I've received some very good care. I like my doctor very much and my husband (who has many medical issues) like his doctors as well. My husband's doctors are all part of the Sentara network. My doctor is not part of Sentara nor is he part of any large hospital network. Yet both of us are very pleased with the care we've received.

I really don't feel it's poor quality at all.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM

2,741 posts, read 6,196,526 times
Thanks badger74!

Best Hospitals in Virginia - US News Best Hospitals

Note there are at least 4 HR hospitals better than Arlington County-Virginia Dominion. Arlington the 2nd richest county in the nation.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 AM

59 posts, read 100,048 times
Yeah, perhaps I spoke a bit strongly, healthcare in the US is... well... lets just say complicated. Its very difficult to "measure" the effectiveness of healthcare. Of course having poor healthcare doesn't mean that your particular doctor is "bad" or even that a "bad" doctor results in poor outcomes, paradoxically sometimes you get the best healthcare INDIVIDUALLY in areas where on average its the "worst" (for example Mexico City has horrible health care, but if you can afford it, your care is great).

So there is a great deal to unpack in my sweeping statement and I can tell you that outcome epidemiologists cannot even agree on how to measure what "good" healthcare is.

That being said, healthcare is not only provided by doctors, but by a healthcare team that includes many people that you never see, meet, or even know that exist. Again, paradoxically, healthcare does not function like you're buying a hotdog, its not a $$$ for outcome type deal, so comparing which county is richest, etc. is meaningless.

I don't want to get into a healthcare policy discussion, because frankly, I find it incredibly annoying how borked out system is and on a daily basis am shocked how much as a nation we can spend and get so little of it back in good outcomes.

That being said, the quality of your care comes from not only the person you "meet" but the 100 you don't. Those people who COULD, have left the HR area a LONG time ago or perhaps have never been here, I'm not sure. That doesn't mean you will have a bad "outcome" and I think we all can agree that you can't judge a system like this by what a good experience you had with your doctor. Some of the best docs I know are *******s, their patients think they are dicks and they hardly speak a word of English, but then again see what I'm doing? I'm digressing into anecdotes. You can't "feel it's not poor quality" it just doesn't work that way.

That being said, knowing that the best and brightest are NOT here, despite knowing many of these people personally, I would choose to have any complicated care for my family (outside normal scrapes and bruises or routine care) done elsewhere, but hey I'm just random dude on the internet.

Healthcare "rankings" are meaningless, come on guys, I though we were beyond that, hospitals buy those rankings like you buy grapes at the store.

Also I don't think HR is uniquely horrible, perhaps I spoke a bit strongly again. Out of the the 5-6 places I've lived in the US in the past 15 years, HR is the least desirable place we've lived to raise a family (for us, no knock for others, different strokes and all that), sufficiently so that we've moved heaven and earth to leave. Out of the 5-6 places I've lived and been intimately involved with healthcare, HR is the "worst" (not by far, you also get some fairly bad care in a "rust belt" type inner city place, but then at least you KNOW your care is bad and take steps to rectify) by my own personal measure.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area