Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM

24 posts, read 37,433 times

Advertisements

Single, 30, Female...I have no idea where to begin. I'm interested in living in VA Beach, moving from Austin, TX. Any suggestions on the right area for my demographic? Safe area? Also I have a masters in Edu. Technology and Leadership, so I'll most likely be working for a school or school district. Any thoughts, suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,740,683 times
It all depends on what you're looking for, I think. Honestly, I don't think Virginia Beach is half as fun as Austin is and my sister who has taught in both Texas public schools and for Virginia Beach public schools told me she absolutely hated working in Virginia Beach, but loves working in Texas. She says there is more support from the administration and that parents are easier to deal with because where she is the parents also are willing to work with kids when behavior issues will arise. She said when she was here and had behavior issues, the parents absolutely would not help her.

With that said, I enjoy living here. I love the beach and the outdoors activities. When I was single here, it was a great place to meet guys, but many were military.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,335,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcf View Post
I have no idea where to begin.
Neither do we.

What are your interests?

What kind of a city are you looking to live in? Small town? Suburban paradise? Cutting edge city?

What is your housing budget and what are your housing requirements?

What type of climate do you like?

Are you into mass transit or do you prefer to drive yourself around?

Where on the political spectrum do you fall?

Are you religious?

These are all types of questions that help determine whether or not the Hampton Roads area is a good fit for you. Simply asking if VA is right for you when you've put forth nothing about yourself is not going to yield many helpful replies.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,227,569 times
Why did you hone in on Virginia Beach?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Neither do we.

What are your interests?

What kind of a city are you looking to live in? Small town? Suburban paradise? Cutting edge city?

What is your housing budget and what are your housing requirements?

What type of climate do you like?

Are you into mass transit or do you prefer to drive yourself around?

Where on the political spectrum do you fall?

Are you religious?

These are all types of questions that help determine whether or not the Hampton Roads area is a good fit for you. Simply asking if VA is right for you when you've put forth nothing about yourself is not going to yield many helpful replies.
Alright Coconut1, here you go...

I like the size of Virginia Beach. I could live in either the suburbs or the city.
I would be looking for an apartment, no more than 12-1400 in rent if possible.
I like the beach, but am not opposed to cold or hot weather.
I drive myself around here, but I'd be okay with mass transit.
Moderate Republican.
Yes I am a Christian.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Honestly, I got the idea of Virginia Beach from a friend in the military. I looked it up on Google and it seems like a cool place. So I thought I'd check it out.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
Honestly, I got the idea of Virginia Beach from a friend in the military. I looked it up on Google and it seems like a cool place. So I thought I'd check it out.
Well, FWIW, I think you would fit better in Virginia Beach than in Washington, DC, which you also asked about.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,467,824 times
Quote:
Single, 30, Female...I have no idea where to begin. I'm interested in living in VA Beach, moving from Austin, TX. Any suggestions on the right area for my demographic? Safe area? Also I have a masters in Edu. Technology and Leadership, so I'll most likely be working for a school or school district. Any thoughts, suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!
I think its for everyone. Its laid back, family friendly, not a lot of crime, has some bad parts but nothing anything different from what anyone experiences back home, is racially diverse. Culturally diverse, I don't know, really depends on who you ask.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,335,001 times
Quote:
Alright Coconut1, here you go...

I like the size of Virginia Beach. I could live in either the suburbs or the city.
I would be looking for an apartment, no more than 12-1400 in rent if possible.
I like the beach, but am not opposed to cold or hot weather.
I drive myself around here, but I'd be okay with mass transit.
Moderate Republican.
Yes I am a Christian.

Thanks for your help.
Sounds like your kind of town... proceed with the search!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM

39 posts, read 70,916 times
I moved to the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area 3 years ago from Austin - I lived in Round Rock and worked in Austin at the State Hospital. Here's my 2 cents:
1. VA Beach is more humid, the humidity doesn't burn off in the heat of the day like in Austin, it's also more buggy.
2. Teachers are paid more in Austin - or at least Round Rock compared to VA Beach. Even the better schools in Hampton Roads have less resources and support for their teachers compared to the better Austin area schools.
3. Hampton Roads has more crime and larger areas of poverty than Austin area. I would also add that in general the different communities in Hampton Roads are more balanced in diversity than in Austin. What I mean is it was a "shock" to my neighbors when one African American family moved into our "stepford" planned community whereas it isn't as racially segregated in Hampton Roads ( it is to a point, but not as obvious as the greater Austin area).
4. The nightlife and restaurants in Austin are superior to Hampton Roads.
5. There are more outdoor recreation opportunities in the Hampton Roads area and within a days drive.
6. The strong military presence influences the culture of Hampton Roads. This is neither good or bad, but it is a little different if you haven't had that experience before.
7. Housing can be more expensive in Hampton Roads (unless you lived in downtown Austin) and has a different "look" - neither good or bad.
8. In my experience it seemed that there was more highly educated people in Austin than Hampton Roads - but that may not be accurate - it may have been where I was working/living???

Hope that helps! I have also lived in Chicago, Seattle, and San Diego - so I am more than happy to give comparisons to those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area