Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 PM

122 posts, read 293,501 times

Advertisements

Im interested in living in both Virginia beach, va and silver spring,md. Let me give a little background information.
I have a 3 year old he will be turning 4 in the fall so i need a good school.
His dads family is in VA and mine is in MD.
I need a good school because i have my rn; however, i plan on finishing my bsn.
Its 50,000 for a family of there until i start working.
We would have the initial expense of getting a car since we live in nyc.
My mom wants to move to the area i live. She is retired and has ESRD with social security, pension, and medicare.
Where would you recommend for better health care schools and affordability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 05:44 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,896 times
It has been about 20 years since I lived in the DC metro area and I now live in Newport News, which I realize is not Virginia Beach. But my gut reaction is that Virginia Beach would be a more pleasant life and though it is not a low cost of living area, I suspect it is far less than Silver Spring, Md. Living in the DC metro area was expensive when I lived there and the traffic was crazy. It's only gotten worse in the last 20 years on both counts.

Hopefully other posters more knowledgeable than I am, will post.
I am sorry about your mother's condition.
Good luck whatever you choose.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
You really need to post in the Maryland Forum.
Silver Spring to VB is like
NYC to Garden City KS.

Don't think you could pick any more opposite.

The DC metro area is the 3rd most expensive metro to live in (Ave single income is 120K) with the worst traffic (yes worse than LA) combined with NYC like diversity everywhere-Central Americans/Bolivians/Somalians/Afghanis/Saudis/Koreans/Viets/India Indians---everything!All Recent Immigrants or 1st generation citizens.

VB is laid back, lots of white military families,single family homes, military transient area, suburban African Americans-many can trace their history to the 18th century in the area. There are bits and pieces of immigrants but its more a flavor to seek out.

DC OTOH is upper class/lawyer-advanced degreed/extremely aggressive/Im smarter than you and I make 6 figures a year off my fed job.

I like HR much better.

Last edited by leighland; 06-23-2013 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: added vb

Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post

VB is laid back, lots of white military families,single family homes, military transient area, suburban African Americans-many can trace their history to the 18th century in the area. There are bits and pieces of immigrants but its more a flavor to seek out.

DC OTOH is upper class/lawyer-advanced degreed/extremely aggressive/Im smarter than you and I make 6 figures a year off my fed job.

I like HR much better.
Interesting descriptions, Leighland. I wouldn't have characterized VB as laid-back but compared to your area, it might seem so. I come from a state where almost nothing moved at a hurried pace and I find VB to be hectic (especially in traffic). I guess it's all subjective.

Quakerchick, I can't offer a comparison because I don't know anything at all about Silver Spring. I agree with Leighland that you should probably post your question in the Maryland forum. As for VB, we have good schools here. I don't think your mother would have any problem finding good medical care. We have three hospital systems (that I personally know about) with facilities located in many parts of town. Would your mother want to live with you or in the same town but in her own place?

Good luck whichever you choose.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I would add VA Beach has a large Filipino population. I'd also say it's pretty laid back compaired to DC, but not to everywhere. Traffic here is bad, but not as bad as DC. Schools in VAB are good, and you could find a nice place around Sentara Princess Anne hospital that's safe with good schools and afforidable. There is also a medical school and several universities around here for you to choose from. Just make sure you look at the acceptance rates for the universities before you pick because some of the schools are better than other.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Interesting descriptions, Leighland. I wouldn't have characterized VB as laid-back but compared to your area, it might seem so.
Exactly Lily and Spaz!

Yes traffic in HR is awful. Like NoVa, we avoid 64 and do the HR Backroad Shuffle whenever possible.

I would like to add I am very thankful the HR tunnel system has rising gates to control the number of cars in the tunnels. This is very important as I have never waited a complete stop for more than a minute in a tunnel. Thank God or I'd have a panic attack!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM

122 posts, read 293,501 times
Ive already got into nsu and odu. Im not sure if she wants to live with me yet. She can afford to live on her own.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I'd go with ODU. Then again that's where I graduated from lol. Make sure you really look before you pick a school. They are not all the same quality.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
Im interested in living in both Virginia beach, va and silver spring,md. Let me give a little background information.
I have a 3 year old he will be turning 4 in the fall so i need a good school.
His dads family is in VA and mine is in MD.
I need a good school because i have my rn; however, i plan on finishing my bsn.
Its 50,000 for a family of there until i start working.
We would have the initial expense of getting a car since we live in nyc.
My mom wants to move to the area i live. She is retired and has ESRD with social security, pension, and medicare.
Where would you recommend for better health care schools and affordability.
Silver Spring is a true urban environment. It makes downtown Norfolk look like downtown Harrisonburg. It makes Town Center look like a strip mall. Personally, if I could move out of Hampton Roads I would probably move to Silver Spring. That area also has a diversity that one could only wish existed in Hampton Roads.

Silver Spring could be a lot more expensive than Virginia Beach, but if a true urban environment is what you desire you might be a lot happier there. Your mother might be happier in Virginia Beach, because it is laid back, family friendly, and she might not care about a hectic, urban environment. I would research both areas because someone is going to have compromise something.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
i guess you have to figure out if you would
rather live in a more spread out environment
next to the ocean and bay, or a crowded,
suburban area somewhat near a narrow river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area