U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,157,321 times

Advertisements

Hey there --

I'm trying to decide between two apartments in two separate areas of Hampton Roads. I work for a company headquartered in Norfolk (Military Circle/JANAF area). Moving towards this area probably isn't an option. Most things over there aren't very safe!

Currently, I live in an extremely safe neighborhood near Oceana (Gatewood Park) in a tiny one bedroom studio apartment. I need more space and some amenities.

I am considering Riverpoint Apartments in Norfolk (on Newport Ave) and Wellington at Western Branch (Hellensburg Dr, Chesapeake). Has anyone had any experience with these particular areas or particular apartment complexes?

I liked Wellington, but the thought of driving through the downtown tunnel daily is what is bothering me about moving there. I am thinking my commute could be very long, but I don't travel that way except on Fridays to visit friends in the Habour View section of Suffolk. I feel like it takes forever to get there.

I also looked into Merrimack Landing Apartments near the Norfolk Naval Base (Monitor Way).

Has anyone dealt with these places before?

I am trying to find a one bedroom apartment that allows cats for under $800. Any suggestions or positive prior experiences?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM

2,190 posts, read 7,195,167 times
I don't know about prices...My advice is if you're single move to Ghent (Norfolk) or the oceanfront. It's one thing if you can't afford more than $800 but if it's just frugalness in you, consider raising your range and live a better lifestyle.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM

LOL!! I am single (kind of, I have a boyfriend but am unmarried, no kids, 27) and am in the mid-40's salarywise. It's not amazing money by any means, but I am thinking that it is probably mostly the frugal-ness in me.

The place I rent now is 500 square feet, no carpet, no dishwasher, no washer dryer, no central air. but it is $530 a month and very safe! LOL! I am just very frugal. LOL!

....the problem though....

no pets. LOL!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM

2,190 posts, read 7,195,167 times
If you like the beach move to the oceanfront, if not, move to ghent...Goal should be to build a large social circle as quickly as possible. Don't waste life sitting on the sofa watching sitcoms or on the computer

Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Ohhh. I have a pretty wide social circle (wide enough for me as an introvert anyway), so for me a place to live isn't necessarily about meeting people! Just living. I've lived in this area since I was 16, other than the four years I spent up in Harrisonburg. I was just asking about those specific places since I don't know anyone in my network who has lived in them or heard much about them.

I've lived in LinkhornBay Apartments, Emerald Point Apartments, and Birdneck Village. They were all okay. Just looking into other things.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM

258 posts, read 374,725 times
You don't have to worry about the downtown tunnel driving from western branch, you can take 64. The signs that estimate the travel time to the oceanfront taking 64 or 264 from 664 will give you a good estimate of where the traffic is any given day between 664 and the 264/64 interchange, so you can pretty well avoid the tunnel and its traffic if you want to. After they upped the speed limit on 64 it really doesn't take any longer than 264, when there's no traffic the time difference is a minute or two.

I have no input on the apartment complex, but if you like it that much, it may still be worth considering. I'd recommend trying to travel between the apartment complex and your job once or twice to get a feel of how long the drive feels. And then you have to consider, would you rather make that drive to work and be really close to your friends in Suffolk, or rather the longer drive be to your friends with a short commute?

~Katy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area