U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM

6,148 posts, read 418,152 times

Advertisements

Hudlander,
Cocunut1 hates Tidewater, is not from there, and needs to move away. I am a native of Va. Beach. It is a very cool place and a great place to live. The beach is very cool, and the Chesapeake Bay is cool too (Chick's Beach). You can find apartments near the beach on Va. Beach Blvd that are affordable. You can also live in apartments near Chick's beach that are affordable. The Boardwalk at the beach is the best boardwalk on the East Coast. If you love the water, go ahead man. I grew up on the water, and always welcomed inlanders coming...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 AM

25,308 posts, read 36,440,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
What is the main reason you feel I would not like this area?
LOL do you just not like me or is this area not full of young adults like Triangle, bad traffic, and that it is too expensive to live 15-30 from the beach?
I don't get it.

Being from NOVA, how bad could traffic be?
Imagine NoVA with a more blue-collar feel, 80% reduction in immigrants and young adults, and housing and traffic are only 25% less. That is HR in a nutshell.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:34 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,367,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post

1) I wanted to know if the VA Beach is good fit for a person with my traits vs. say Raleigh/CH or Charlottesville?
2) Or if this place is too tourist/military based an economy I'd have trouble finding work and is too transient and not as inviting to an outsider like me.

3) I'd also like to know, is it realistic with say a 40K salary to get a nice 1 BR within 30 minutes of the beach?
1) I think that you would need to make some effort to make new friends around here. Most transplants are affiliated with the military, most locals have their social circles set already because they grew up here and have family/friends here already. That said, there are tons of opportunities to join leagues, clubs, recreation centers etc... if you are inclined to such things. Even "clean up the beach" events would be a great way to meet people if you love the beach. Overall people are friendly here, you have your exceptions but the culture is relatively laid back in general.

2) You may have trouble finding work depending on your qualifications. Most work is either defense/medical/tourism based. I work in scientific research myself but there are not tons of opportunities around here for that. As with anywhere, find a job first then move and it really isn't an issue.

3) $40k salary could get you a nice 1br apartment 5 minutes from the beach if you wanted and there are tons of areas within 30min of the beach that you could live which are safe and quiet. Aside from rental costs (which are high due to military housing allowance in my opinion) It really isn't that hard to live cheaply around here unless you live far from your work/hobbies and eat out a lot (taxes on prepared foods are high). $40k is about $2500 a month take home (ballpark). Budget $1000 for an apartment and you still have $1500 a month for gas, utilities, food, savings and fun.

I would be lying if I told you this was the most exciting place in the country to be a young professional. But overall it is a nice place to live and the ample parks and beaches leave plenty of opportunities for free entertainment if you are into that kind of thing. Career-wise, the area does not have as many opportunities as other places you mentioned but if you can find a decent job it is nice.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM

258 posts, read 376,678 times
I would say it depends on whether or not you know you could get a job and what activities you do outside of work. If you can in fact find a job for 40k/year here then yes you should be able to afford it here without a problem.

I moved here in 2008 right when I finished grad school, came down from CT. I love it here. It made a difference that I swing dance and knew dancers in the area, and never felt out of place as a non-military transplant. It just all depends on what you are willing and able to do to find yourself a social life.

Did I mention that I love it here? It's a great place to live. Like you, I am on the autism spectrum, so really I think no matter where you are or how friendly the place is it can mean pushing yourself out of your comfort zone initially to get out and make friends.

I can't compare to the other areas you are considering because I have never lived in either nor spent much time at either place. Best of luck to you whatever you decide! I have found living in a place you love makes all the difference in feeling satisfied with life.

~Katy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area