U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 AM

517 posts, read 480,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Outside of DC up north, there aren't any big cities in Virginia so there's nothing really to worry about in that department. As for what would make Norfolk better, I think better cooperation by the different municipalities and less reliance on the military would be a start. There's a lot of poverty in Norfolk and not a lot of decent paying jobs to go around and as a result there are no neighborhoods in transition.

Richmond is only an hour away from Hampton Roads and locals in Richmond hang out at the River at different locations when they want to get in the water. I prefer that much better to being close to the beach since I don't have to worry about damages from hurricanes and flooding. I wouldn't rule out Richmond without first checking it out. Henrico is rated on of the best school districts in the state, the traffic is nowhere near as bad as Hampton Roads, and it's a lot easier to travel in and out of the city if you ever want to go there for something. Richmond is much more similar to the cities in upstate New York than a big city such as NYC.
Richmond isn't so far inland that hurricanes aren't a threat -- see the impact from Isabel and Gaston, for example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,746,790 times
I asked my husband how many people filed applications and resumes for the secretarial position --- it was over 300. Many of them -- probably close to half -- were either qualified or over-qualified for the position. It pays about $35K per year plus benefits. To my way of thinking, it speaks volumes when that many folks apply for a secretarial position, many of whom were willing to drive through a tunnel or over a bridge and when folks with advanced college degrees are willing to take the job.

Newport News does not feel like a city. It is sprawling suburbia.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 AM

16 posts, read 21,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
Have you considered Raleigh, NC? That would be my first choice if I wanted to move to this region.
I have considered looking into Raleigh as well as the Wilmington area of NC. We are still exploring those options as well and I guess when we spend more than a few days at each location then we will have more of an idea about where we would prefer to be. I was not thrilled about the distance from Raleigh to the water as we enjoy traveling about thirty minutes to the ocean.

I appreciate everyone's input about the area. It is definitely worth considering all of the info. I live by jfk airport now so there are very few times when I am bothered by airplane noises, though I can imagine the jets are a different story. Looking for more of a suburban/friendlier area, we still have our research to do. Having liked the Virginia Beach area since I was younger makes it still one of the places I need to do more research on. I guess where the greatest job opportunities are is where we would focus more of our attention on. We don't want to put ourselves in a bad situation of not being able to support ourselves. If we had enough saved up right now to leave and a job secured already, we would have been gone yesterday haha. More research to be done.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,193,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofNYC View Post
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend (25) and I(24) are looking to leave NYC and never look back! ( Well maybe just visit a few times a year. but no desire to live here anymore) We both were born and raised here and I lived in DC for four years for my undergrad. We are just done with NYC. We both enjoy our time upstate NY with family that is in a very rural area. Not only is it ridiculously expensive to still live here, but we both have family dramas that we are trying to escape and moving a few hundred miles away just became clear to us to relieve that unnecessary stress.

We are going to explore the area next weekend for a few days to get more of a feel for it. I have read a lot of the threads on here and a lot of the negativity seems to stem from HR not being like a place such as NYC or another big city, which is why we are considering it! Just time for a change and different pace.

My concerns are the job market that is so spoken about or matter the lack of a decent job market unless you are military/medical/government. My boyfriend is a cable supervisor and up here they make about $48k. I understand that we get paid more up here in NY, but still we are hoping that he could make at least $35-40k down there. I work in financial services for an insurance company, which also has an office in VAB, but as a commissioned based job relying mostly on your network, building that business would take me some time until I am more established in the area as I know only two people that are currently there. In the meantime I am going to apply for local jobs, hopefully having a Bachelors will secure me a job making at least $25k-$30k until I build up a clientele in the insurance/financial planning business. May be a silly question- but can someone looking to move to the area still apply for city jobs if they are not residents as of yet?

By the way I love being by the beach. NY beaches aren't nice, but I am about 20min from the nicer beaches in Long Island and that is another main reason why I am considering HR. We are looking to move sooner rather than later, if one or both of us can secure a job fairly quick we would be ready to go then.

Any thoughts on securing a regular job down there while still being states away? Also on neighborhoods that we should look that are not near the hustle and bustle of the "city" down there? Just thoughts on moving down there from a big city ( and loving the fact that it is not a big city) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
You may not make as much here as you do in New York. Honestly, Virginia isn't that much different from New York with respect to what you bring in, versus what you're paying out. Cox and Verizon are always hiring and pay well; Verizon better than Cox at least on the ground floor in the call centers might be a bit different what your husband does.

Some of the animosity towards HR, in comparison to NYC, is warranted though. HR doesn't have as good of a public transportation system as NYC, so you'll need a car if you want to leave one city, go to the next, and come back during the same time of day (morning/afternoon/evening). HR is trying to build out a light rail system but the cooperation between the cities isn't there, even though HRT is a regional transportation system. I could go on, but a lot of it is warranted, if you've either lived both places or spent time in both places, I'll say that much. The bottom line is that HR just isn't as culturally diverse, and what cultural diversion exists, exists for reasons other than what it would in NYC, and some of that is the military, some of it is for immigration to HR from some of the rural areas of Virginia (where you wouldn't normally expect to find other races/cultures), no "Ellis Island", etc.

Keep in mind that NYC suburbs are going to be more urban than our inner city here, so there will be somewhat of a culture shock, unless you're accustomed to similar urban areas, like those in parts of the Midwest. If your firm has an office in Virginia Beach securing a job shouldn't be a problem. What you're getting paid up there, from what it sounds like, you can get by but you're not necessarily getting ahead; if you live within your means around here and do not get seduced in buying more home than you can afford your money should go alot further. Worst case scenario, even if the two of you make $50k combined, it could afford you a higher quality of life than what you're getting up in NY.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,779 times
Yes, there are definitely no jobs here unless medical or government. In hampton roads if you are making less than $15 an hour, you are considered to be in poverty. If you have a job lined up then you should be okay.

It really is a good area, I've been here most of my life. The traffic can get out of hand sometimes, and there's always road work being done causing you to have to take detours and etc. Hampton Roads is exactly what it says, ROADS. Its pretty boring as well, other than going to the beach, the social scenes are a little dull. Mostly commercial restaurants. If you want a chill environment, where you just work and have a routine type life, then this is the place for you.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You may not make as much here as you do in New York. Honestly, Virginia isn't that much different from New York with respect to what you bring in, versus what you're paying out. Cox and Verizon are always hiring and pay well; Verizon better than Cox at least on the ground floor in the call centers might be a bit different what your husband does.

Some of the animosity towards HR, in comparison to NYC, is warranted though. HR doesn't have as good of a public transportation system as NYC, so you'll need a car if you want to leave one city, go to the next, and come back during the same time of day (morning/afternoon/evening). HR is trying to build out a light rail system but the cooperation between the cities isn't there, even though HRT is a regional transportation system. I could go on, but a lot of it is warranted, if you've either lived both places or spent time in both places, I'll say that much. The bottom line is that HR just isn't as culturally diverse, and what cultural diversion exists, exists for reasons other than what it would in NYC, and some of that is the military, some of it is for immigration to HR from some of the rural areas of Virginia (where you wouldn't normally expect to find other races/cultures), no "Ellis Island", etc.

Keep in mind that NYC suburbs are going to be more urban than our inner city here, so there will be somewhat of a culture shock, unless you're accustomed to similar urban areas, like those in parts of the Midwest. If your firm has an office in Virginia Beach securing a job shouldn't be a problem. What you're getting paid up there, from what it sounds like, you can get by but you're not necessarily getting ahead; if you live within your means around here and do not get seduced in buying more home than you can afford your money should go alot further. Worst case scenario, even if the two of you make $50k combined, it could afford you a higher quality of life than what you're getting up in NY.

Thank you for your post! I will say I would probably miss the diversity as I have grown up in very culturally diverse areas in NY. Also my family is from the Carolinas so I have had my fair share of time further south than Virginia growing up. While I do not live in Manhattan, the city, I live in a neighborhood in Queens that is relatively peaceful where I can walk around 3 in the morning with no worries, not that I am out that late anymore. Don't really do the clubbing scene as much anymore. Maybe I am getting too old before my time, haha. I prefer to chill at home alone or with friends, with traveling being where I get my most excitement. Kind of hard to save up to travel the world living up here. Even though I don't pay much in rent living at home everything else up here is just too darn expensive. I prefer driving over mass transit any day! I've had my share of public transportation and do not need it lol. Been driving legally since I was 17 and did not look back lol.

My boyfriend and I just spent the weekend down there and explored ourselves. I have one cousin that lives in the area and his wife was very helpful in sharing the good, bad, and ugly and also with possibly being able to help us with securing jobs. I am surprised that your worst case scenario would be adequate. With the types of jobs she could refer us for, and she has a decent amount of connections, She would guess that the combined income would be around $70k at the least, so that is good to hear that the worst case would be $50k and it would still be better. We are still doing our research as I have heard and read that the area seems to live in the past in terms of giving off a pro slavery vibe, but I did not feel that, granted we were just there for two days. We would definitely have to spend more time down there. We stayed in the Greenbrier neighborhood of Chesapeake and I found it very pleasant!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwhite92 View Post
Yes, there are definitely no jobs here unless medical or government. In hampton roads if you are making less than $15 an hour, you are considered to be in poverty. If you have a job lined up then you should be okay.

It really is a good area, I've been here most of my life. The traffic can get out of hand sometimes, and there's always road work being done causing you to have to take detours and etc. Hampton Roads is exactly what it says, ROADS. Its pretty boring as well, other than going to the beach, the social scenes are a little dull. Mostly commercial restaurants. If you want a chill environment, where you just work and have a routine type life, then this is the place for you.

Thank you for your post! Yes I agree with having a job already secured would be key in us pushing the button on moving. We would still want to comfortably have a few months of savings for that cushion before moving in case one of us gets a job secured faster than the other. But hopefully we will be getting assistance from a cousin who has some good connections for securing a job. Last year I had a second part time job making $14/hr so imagine how far those dollars went up here! Lol not very.

I have heard it is what you make of it, guessing that you have to make your fun rather than just easily finding something to get into like in NY. But that is fine. We need to spend more time down there to get a better feel for the area. Routine type of life may be a big change for us, but we like to explore and go on nature trails or hiking, something that we travel upstate ny to do a few times a year. But for us we need a change.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofNYC View Post
Thank you for your post! I will say I would probably miss the diversity as I have grown up in very culturally diverse areas in NY. Also my family is from the Carolinas so I have had my fair share of time further south than Virginia growing up. While I do not live in Manhattan, the city, I live in a neighborhood in Queens that is relatively peaceful where I can walk around 3 in the morning with no worries, not that I am out that late anymore. Don't really do the clubbing scene as much anymore. Maybe I am getting too old before my time, haha. I prefer to chill at home alone or with friends, with traveling being where I get my most excitement. Kind of hard to save up to travel the world living up here. Even though I don't pay much in rent living at home everything else up here is just too darn expensive. I prefer driving over mass transit any day! I've had my share of public transportation and do not need it lol. Been driving legally since I was 17 and did not look back lol.

My boyfriend and I just spent the weekend down there and explored ourselves. I have one cousin that lives in the area and his wife was very helpful in sharing the good, bad, and ugly and also with possibly being able to help us with securing jobs. I am surprised that your worst case scenario would be adequate. With the types of jobs she could refer us for, and she has a decent amount of connections, She would guess that the combined income would be around $70k at the least, so that is good to hear that the worst case would be $50k and it would still be better. We are still doing our research as I have heard and read that the area seems to live in the past in terms of giving off a pro slavery vibe, but I did not feel that, granted we were just there for two days. We would definitely have to spend more time down there. We stayed in the Greenbrier neighborhood of Chesapeake and I found it very pleasant!
I grew up in Akron, OH, which is probably more like Queens than it is Manhattan. Minus the train. I like it here. I do wish the public transportation were better, the bus runs every half hour, instead of every 5 minutes. There are no articulated busses, and no bus rapid transit. I'm actually using the bus now, and it sucks. Ohio isn't really that different; its probably built up more like Richmond or Northern Virginia than it is Hampton Roads.

Virginia is expensive in comparison though. Even the rural, exurban parts of Virginia are more expensive than Ohio. Unless they grew up here, I don't understand why someone without a degree would continue to stay here. If they want an urban experience, there are older, cheaper cities available. Not only in the Midwest, parts of the South are cheaper.

Hampton Roads continues to change, and the area is becoming more urban as time passes by. If you're poor that isn't working to your advantage though, as the poor are priced out of these new developments. In Norfolk the only new development seems to be Section 8. The whole ex-slave thing is interesting. Is that what they're saying up there? I thought Reconstruction was over 100 years ago. Its different, it isn't THAT different though, lol.

On a serious note Greenbrier is probably one of the more interesting neighborhoods in Chesapeake. Chesapeake is a little too suburban for me, but Greenbrier seems to have more density, and is probably more mixed-use than the rest of the city. I only wish Chesapeake had an actual downtown, or at least something like Ghent. I don't need a high rise or anything, but Chesapeake is too spread out for me.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM

18 posts, read 26,905 times
Hello!!

I am 24 years old and I lived in Virginia Beach for 18 years before I moved to Newport News for my undergrad. To keep this short and simple, if you really like the HR/VB area, I think that the City of Chesapeake sounds like the place suited best for you. But I still don't think it's the perfect fit.

All the other posters here have covered most of my gripes with HR. I will offer a dissenting opinion regarding Newport News and the more rural areas on the peninsula. The area is not as dangerous as some make it out to be. I grew up as an upper middle class/upper class white boy in an all white neighborhood. I hung in Newport News for four years and never felt unsafe or unhappy. As a matter of fact, I However, if you have to commute to southside (Norfolk, VB, etc) then the peninsula would be a nightmare due to the traffic congestion at the tunnel during the daily commute.

I will warn you that I too hold a Bachelor's degree and am currently earning my Master's at another university in the state. Entry level jobs for recent college grads in HR are totally nonexistent. I am purposely not moving back to the region after I graduate because I have a vendetta against the private sector employers who only offer jobs to people "with at least 5 to 10 years experience" when one truly only needs maybe 6 months. There is a stuck-up mindset in the local business community regarding hiring young people. This also manifests itself in a civic sense since opposition to any form of nightlife catering to the 21-30 year old age demographic is overwhelming. The only "fun" around here for our age is the beach (which like an earlier post said, NC is much nicer) and seedy bars that are filled with ghetto people from the hoods of Norfolk and Portsmouth or young military dudes who have the mindsets of frat boys high on stimulants looking to fight all night long.

HR is the perfect place when you have established a professional career for yourself and have a young family to raise. The public school system is second to none, forget Henrico County. Homes are very nice, but they're expensive. At the same time, recreational amenities are mediocre at best. Elitist mindsets prevail within the ranks of local political and business leaders, and from a socio-cultural standpoint, the region is xenophobic and exclusionary/segregated.

Richmond is an ok substitute, but I think it has not yet done away with it's history as a rust town. It looks like one huge toxic industrial brownfield site. Crime is hardcore in certain sections. Even as a loud and proud handgun owner, I still feel nervous walking around down in RVA at night. And yes, I visit there at least once every six weeks so before I get someone from Richmond telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, spare me. Richmond is rough.

I would tell you to check out places in NC such as Raleigh, Asheville, Greensboro, Wilmington. They offer all the benefits of HR and RVA, with a lot less negatives.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain07 View Post
Hello!!

I am 24 years old and I lived in Virginia Beach for 18 years before I moved to Newport News for my undergrad. To keep this short and simple, if you really like the HR/VB area, I think that the City of Chesapeake sounds like the place suited best for you. But I still don't think it's the perfect fit.

All the other posters here have covered most of my gripes with HR. I will offer a dissenting opinion regarding Newport News and the more rural areas on the peninsula. The area is not as dangerous as some make it out to be. I grew up as an upper middle class/upper class white boy in an all white neighborhood. I hung in Newport News for four years and never felt unsafe or unhappy. As a matter of fact, I However, if you have to commute to southside (Norfolk, VB, etc) then the peninsula would be a nightmare due to the traffic congestion at the tunnel during the daily commute.

I will warn you that I too hold a Bachelor's degree and am currently earning my Master's at another university in the state. Entry level jobs for recent college grads in HR are totally nonexistent. I am purposely not moving back to the region after I graduate because I have a vendetta against the private sector employers who only offer jobs to people "with at least 5 to 10 years experience" when one truly only needs maybe 6 months. There is a stuck-up mindset in the local business community regarding hiring young people. This also manifests itself in a civic sense since opposition to any form of nightlife catering to the 21-30 year old age demographic is overwhelming. The only "fun" around here for our age is the beach (which like an earlier post said, NC is much nicer) and seedy bars that are filled with ghetto people from the hoods of Norfolk and Portsmouth or young military dudes who have the mindsets of frat boys high on stimulants looking to fight all night long.

HR is the perfect place when you have established a professional career for yourself and have a young family to raise. The public school system is second to none, forget Henrico County. Homes are very nice, but they're expensive. At the same time, recreational amenities are mediocre at best. Elitist mindsets prevail within the ranks of local political and business leaders, and from a socio-cultural standpoint, the region is xenophobic and exclusionary/segregated.

Richmond is an ok substitute, but I think it has not yet done away with it's history as a rust town. It looks like one huge toxic industrial brownfield site. Crime is hardcore in certain sections. Even as a loud and proud handgun owner, I still feel nervous walking around down in RVA at night. And yes, I visit there at least once every six weeks so before I get someone from Richmond telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, spare me. Richmond is rough.

I would tell you to check out places in NC such as Raleigh, Asheville, Greensboro, Wilmington. They offer all the benefits of HR and RVA, with a lot less negatives.
Is Richmond still worse than HR? Starting to sound a lot like Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area