U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM

120 posts, read 190,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Is Richmond still worse than HR? Starting to sound a lot like Ohio.
Richmond definitely reminds me of Cincinnati.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,185,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
Richmond definitely reminds me of Cincinnati.
I haven't been in Cincinnati since the 90s. They had a lot of racial strife back then. At the time I lived in Dayton, which was the worst city in the state to live in.

I remember checking out the zoo in Cincinnati. Terrible neighborhood to live in. I had forgotten just how ghetto Ohio can be. Hopefully that neighborhood has improved since then. I hear Dayton got worse while Cincinnati improved. Downtown Dayton is actually looking a lot better now than it was then.

They say Richmond has a bigger downtown than Norfolk. I need to go up there and check it out.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:32 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,297,869 times
Captain07 -- what is your field?

I hold a bachelor's degree and got my first job in 2009 when the economy was around its worst. It only took me a couple of months then and I have never experienced an employer having a stuck up mindself for hiring me. I have interviewed with many local employers: ODU, Sentara, Amerigroup, ValueOptions, Drucker Faulk, Avalon Communities.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM

18 posts, read 26,885 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Is Richmond still worse than HR? Starting to sound a lot like Ohio.
Richmond is definitely worse than HR. I mean, it looks a lot like Portsmouth in the areas that are not right downtown. Downtown is nice for sure, but step outside the VCU area and you will be accosted by hobos nonstop. The crime that happens in the projects around the Gilpin Court area is insane.

The only other city I can think of that reminds me of RVA is Kansas City. Except Kansas City is obviously bigger.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Captain07 -- what is your field?

I hold a bachelor's degree and got my first job in 2009 when the economy was around its worst. It only took me a couple of months then and I have never experienced an employer having a stuck up mindself for hiring me. I have interviewed with many local employers: ODU, Sentara, Amerigroup, ValueOptions, Drucker Faulk, Avalon Communities.
I got a somewhat useless degree (BA in history) but I graduated with honors and had internship experience in the tourism industry. Figured I would be able to find a job, not right away, but definitely something worthwhile within a few months of graduating (2011).

I ended up working full-time for a year in a corporate law firm in Norfolk that was one of the five largest law firms in the state. It was a job that required a high school diploma, I had a BA. Crap pay, and I interacted with many of the top lawyers and businessmen in the Hampton Roads area daily. That's where I made the observation that the business leaders in the area are definitely more concerned with their personal earnings and not sustaining the local economy once they retire. The mindset here is diametrically opposed to those in Denver, or Raleigh, or even Fairfax, VA. My friends from high school, regardless of what university they graduated from and what degree they got, all ended up in Richmond, D.C., or Raleigh. I know one person who earned a BS in Environmental Science that found a job in VB, but that was it. Business majors, liberal arts, and fine arts majors (but thats a no brainer) were SOL.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM

120 posts, read 190,116 times
Quote:
I haven't been in Cincinnati since the 90s. They had a lot of racial strife back then. At the time I lived in Dayton, which was the worst city in the state to live in.

I remember checking out the zoo in Cincinnati. Terrible neighborhood to live in. I had forgotten just how ghetto Ohio can be. Hopefully that neighborhood has improved since then. I hear Dayton got worse while Cincinnati improved. Downtown Dayton is actually looking a lot better now than it was then.

They say Richmond has a bigger downtown than Norfolk. I need to go up there and check it out.
Cincy started gentrifying some neighborhoods back in the 90s and really saw a drastic improvement. Of course they still have a long way to go. Dayton on the other hand... it's been a few years since I've been back there (spent nearly 20 years there) but it seems they ignored their downtown area and focused on the suburbs (ie Beavercreek). Ohio is very, very ghetto in so many areas. Columbus is far and above the best city in the state though.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,185,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain07 View Post
Richmond is definitely worse than HR. I mean, it looks a lot like Portsmouth in the areas that are not right downtown. Downtown is nice for sure, but step outside the VCU area and you will be accosted by hobos nonstop. The crime that happens in the projects around the Gilpin Court area is insane.

The only other city I can think of that reminds me of RVA is Kansas City. Except Kansas City is obviously bigger.
Yeah that is definitely Ohio, or any other Northern or Midwestern city.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain07 View Post
I got a somewhat useless degree (BA in history) but I graduated with honors and had internship experience in the tourism industry. Figured I would be able to find a job, not right away, but definitely something worthwhile within a few months of graduating (2011).

I ended up working full-time for a year in a corporate law firm in Norfolk that was one of the five largest law firms in the state. It was a job that required a high school diploma, I had a BA. Crap pay, and I interacted with many of the top lawyers and businessmen in the Hampton Roads area daily. That's where I made the observation that the business leaders in the area are definitely more concerned with their personal earnings and not sustaining the local economy once they retire. The mindset here is diametrically opposed to those in Denver, or Raleigh, or even Fairfax, VA. My friends from high school, regardless of what university they graduated from and what degree they got, all ended up in Richmond, D.C., or Raleigh. I know one person who earned a BS in Environmental Science that found a job in VB, but that was it. Business majors, liberal arts, and fine arts majors (but thats a no brainer) were SOL.
My degree was in finance and like I said, I had absolutely no problem being taken seriously by any of the major employers in this area and never once felt age discrimination from a prospective employer or from any of the employers that I have worked with so far in my career. My accounting major friends have careers here, as well as a few other business-related majors that I know (employed with Dollar Tree, Booz Allen Hamilton, DB Schenker, Movement Mortgage, Amerigroup, Dominion Enterprises, Cox Communications). A friend with a communications degree is at CMA CGM. All of us were under 25 at the time of hire and none of us were hired more than 3-4 years ago so it is all relatively recent.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 AM

Also, I currently work as a business systems analyst with a guy whose BA is in foreign affairs. It can happen here.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
My degree was in finance and like I said, I had absolutely no problem being taken seriously by any of the major employers in this area and never once felt age discrimination from a prospective employer or from any of the employers that I have worked with so far in my career. My accounting major friends have careers here, as well as a few other business-related majors that I know (employed with Dollar Tree, Booz Allen Hamilton, DB Schenker, Movement Mortgage, Amerigroup, Dominion Enterprises, Cox Communications). A friend with a communications degree is at CMA CGM. All of us were under 25 at the time of hire and none of us were hired more than 3-4 years ago so it is all relatively recent.
What can I say? Had the exact opposite experience. I know of some people from high school who are still attending ODU, doing the good old 7 or 8 year plan, and earning degrees in accounting who have awesome internships in the public sector at the federal level. But kids I know who earned degrees from schools outside the area code couldn't land them.

Shoulder shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area