U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:25 PM

18 posts, read 26,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Also, I currently work as a business systems analyst with a guy whose BA is in foreign affairs. It can happen here.
Yeah, well that is the experience that my friends had in Richmond and Raleigh, but not in Hampton Roads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,300,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain07 View Post
Yeah, well that is the experience that my friends had in Richmond and Raleigh, but not in Hampton Roads.
But the company that happened at is in NORFOLK, VA. Last I checked it was part of Hampton Roads.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:41 PM

And my degree is from JMU, the 540.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,193,006 times
The cart is being put before the horse. Without a degree and/or a good job it is hard to live on the East Coast. The Mid-Atlantic and the Southeast are no exception.

Maybe it is better in Central and Northern Virginia but if you're poor and underqualified you probably live in a neighborhood that makes Hampton Roads slums look like Mayberry.

Midwest is no different. Good jobs for the educated pay well. But there are not enough jobs for everyone. No education, live in a sketchy neighborhood and get shot at and robbed and raped and everything else.

Virginia is a very difficult state to live in. If you don't have anything to offer, then stay put, chances are where you live isn't as bad as you think it is.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
But the company that happened at is in NORFOLK, VA. Last I checked it was part of Hampton Roads.
I know. I said that that was not the experience that I or my friends had.

Not you.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I know. I said that that was not the experience that I or my friends had.

Not you.
Yes, but the problem comes in stating that in Hampton Roads, employers do not hire the youth. Hasn't been my experience, hasn't been my friends' experiences. It's not a generalization about the area that I feel is fair. While I think it is fair to tell the user not to move without a job, I don't think it is fair to state that employers here do not hire entry level professional positions or that it is impossible to find or be taken seriously unless you're a mid-level career professional. Simply untrue. An opportunity can be found here, as it can in other areas.

Keep in mind, a degree in history/insert liberal arts major here requires anyone to be creative about their job search in any location including the cities that you have listed. It is sad that that's the case, but I have seen recent graduates be successful here and have seen them be unsuccessful in No VA (a kid with a degree in English has been driving the same Goodwill Donation truck for a year or two in Alexandria).

Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the problem comes in stating that in Hampton Roads, employers do not hire the youth. Hasn't been my experience, hasn't been my friends' experiences. It's not a generalization about the area that I feel is fair. While I think it is fair to tell the user not to move without a job, I don't think it is fair to state that employers here do not hire entry level professional positions or that it is impossible to find or be taken seriously unless you're a mid-level career professional. Simply untrue. An opportunity can be found here, as it can in other areas.

Keep in mind, a degree in history/insert liberal arts major here requires anyone to be creative about their job search in any location including the cities that you have listed. It is sad that that's the case, but I have seen recent graduates be successful here and have seen them be unsuccessful in No VA (a kid with a degree in English has been driving the same Goodwill Donation truck for a year or two in Alexandria).
You obviously just want me to say that you're right and I am an idiot for saying that employers in Hampton Roads generally don't hire entry level.

You missed my post earlier: employers in RVA and places in NC like Raleigh will hire liberal arts majors much more easily than those in Hampton Roads. YOU even confirmed this by saying that you and your friends have FINANCE degrees and work in HR. I never said anything about NOVA, NOVA is just as bad in my experience.

This is a site where we share our personal opinions and experiences. Mine is that Hampton Roads sucks for entry level jobs for recent grads other than those with a BS in computer science, finance, econ, etc. Can you get off my back now?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I know one person who earned a BS in Environmental Science that found a job in VB, but that was it. Business majors, liberal arts, and fine arts majors (but thats a no brainer) were SOL.
That's what you said. Business, liberal arts, fine arts - all SOL. I was showing examples of others who have not had that experience, with backgrounds in finance, communications, english, history, art history. HELL, my sister in law makes over 40K as an assistant property manager without a degree here. It's not about being on your case at all, but to show that the area is not to blame for any of this and that if you truly like the area and want to be here.... it is possible to find positions here.

It's not about my being "right" as you said, but about letting people know it isn't hopeless to live here.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
That's what you said. Business, liberal arts, fine arts - all SOL. I was showing examples of others who have not had that experience, with backgrounds in finance, communications, english, history, art history. HELL, my sister in law makes over 40K as an assistant property manager without a degree here. It's not about being on your case at all, but to show that the area is not to blame for any of this and that if you truly like the area and want to be here.... it is possible to find positions here.

It's not about my being "right" as you said, but about letting people know it isn't hopeless to live here.
Well, you're right. To the OP, Hampton Roads is not hopeless when it comes to landing a job. In my experience it's just been very very difficult to find anything worthwhile. randomlikeme did not have this experience and finding a job was not bad at all for them.

If you move to Hampton Roads, I wish you best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area