Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 PM

150 posts, read 575,035 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for furniture stores in Hampton Roads guys. Here is what I'm looking for:

-Good selection
-Decent pricing

I've checked out Value City Furniture in NN and while they have alot of nice looking pieces of furniture, what I've bought from there and what friends have bought from there have been very disappointing with the quality. I've also been to the DUMP and felt like I was misled by their advertising because I was expecting to see what I would normally see when I walk into a furniture store but I felt like I was in a flea market. Everything I saw had a tear in the cloth of a scratch on the wood.

I've also been to all the furniture stores in Williamsburg and everything here is just too classy/pricey for my taste. Any suggestions? I've gotten my credit cards down now and am looking to finance a living room set (never bought anything new besides dining room table) and am excited to finally do so. I've always lived with hand-me downs.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM

1,813 posts, read 4,192,806 times
Wayfair.com

You can usually get an idea from reviews about quality. We bought two living room chairs from Wayfair and a coffee table.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 AM

150 posts, read 575,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
Wayfair.com

You can usually get an idea from reviews about quality. We bought two living room chairs from Wayfair and a coffee table.
Wow! I will admit they have really good prices and free shipping... buuuuut what do you do if you have it delivered to you and decide you don't want it? Especially since they don't offer a refund on the shipping cost to return it. I would love to see something in person before buying it but the prices are great....

Last edited by PChildres; 08-11-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM

1,813 posts, read 4,192,806 times
I've also bought furniture from Walmart. Read the reviews carefully. I know on Wal-Mart's website, you can post a question. The difference in price between Wayfair and/or Walmart versus a "real furniture" store is usually large. I was willing to take a chance and have been very happy. I have not returned anything, but the website probably answers your questions. Plus the selection and filters you can use when searching online beats going from store to store.

We bought furniture from Grand Piano about 15 years ago. That much more expensive furniture hasn't been any better than the stuff from Walmart or Wayfair. Much of it is now in the dump. I am not a furniture conoisseur. I want it to be comfortable and sturdy and able to survive dogs, kids and my husband.

If you want a real furniture store, I would suggest heading to North Carolina or Greenfront in Farmville, Va. I know that's not nearby, but at least go and look. Furniture from real stores is expensive.

Green Front Furniture | High End Luxury Furniture At Discount Prices

North Carolina Furniture Directory featuring famous name brand furniture at discount prices direct from the manufacturers outlets and discount furniture stores including High Point NC furniture outlets

Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,040,151 times
I will be the first to admit that I have no personal knowledge of buying furniture here in Hampton Roads.

However, when my brother and sister-in-law lived here in 2010 and 2011, they bought quite a bit of furniture from Haynes here in Virginia Beach. The quality was good, the furniture was lovely, but I couldn't tell you if the pricing was reasonable or not. They purchased four recliners, a couch, a huge dining room table and one queen-size bed with frame and additional furniture. My brother was tight with his money (I don't want to say he was a tightwad - let's just call it frugal) and he never complained about the amount of the payment, so it couldn't have been too bad.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM

6,414 posts, read 1,385,581 times
I will tell you a great furniture store and agree with my friend Lilylady, in Va. Beach on Va. Beach Blvd. Haynes Furniture. I went there when I was a child with my parents, and just ordered some bar stools for my home in Charleston when I was visiting Va. Beach last time.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 PM

203 posts, read 474,411 times
If you buy from Haynes, be very careful of what you sign and what agreements you make on financing from them. There are some real horror stories about Haynes Furniture.

Just some fun reading.
Haynes Furniture @ Pissed Consumer

Many more examples are just a Google/Bing search away. Personally we have bought furniture there and have been mostly pleased. I actually have fun with the sales people as we hate being followed around a store and continually hassled while we're browsing.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,531,551 times
Haynes furniture is alright, but only is you pay cash. It holds up well with average wear and tear. Never buy from value city as their stuff craps out in 6 - 12 months. Havartys, Ethan Allen, lazy boy and Ashley home store all have nice stuff that seems to hold up long term.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:32 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,040,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Haynes furniture is alright, but only is you pay cash. It holds up well with average wear and tear. Never buy from value city as their stuff craps out in 6 - 12 months. Havartys, Ethan Allen, lazy boy and Ashley home store all have nice stuff that seems to hold up long term.
I agree about Value City. I bought a really nice dining room table with 4 chairs. Within 4 months, the chair legs were loose and began to wobble. Their service department made repeated efforts to repair the chairs but to no avail. None of the work held up. One year after the date of purchase, I gave up and bought four different chairs at a Room Store outlet. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,677,651 times
You might be surprised but Big Lots has a few sofa and love seat combos and sectional very cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area