Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:04 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times

Advertisements

As I read more about this area, I don't understand why this region never became more of a metropolis.
Not that HR is not developed, it is, but it's not a major US market like a Philadelphia/Baltimore/Pittsburgh and it doesn't add up.

Consider that HR is located on perhaps the best harbor on the East Coast. It's ice free, large, sheltered, and has easier access to the Northeast and Southeast than Baltimore.

HR is on relatively level, fertile grounds. It also was one of the first U.S. mainland areas discovered.
So given all of these factors, how come HR never developed a major CBD or Financial District nor grew to be a metropolis like Baltimore or Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
1) Military. The needs of the navy and air force are put first.
2) Residents get riled up and defiant whenever any sort of future development is discussed.
3) Poorly planned, like most other areas on the eastern seaboard.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
We're also basically in a crappy location transportation wise. You don't pass through HR. If you come here it's because you want too. We're the cul-de-sac of the east coast.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 AM

120 posts, read 210,319 times
Until the 7 cities consolidate into one, or at least the 5 lower cities do so, this place will never grow into a major metropolis.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 AM

120 posts, read 210,319 times
One more point, generally, the residents around here do not want to live in a major metropolis. When I informed my former co-workers of the two cities I was interested in moving to, not one said anything positive about it. Their comments were as follows: "why are you moving to such a crowded place?", "what, are you some city slicker or something?", "it's too cold there," and so on. None could understand why I would want to live in such an urban environment. I just smiled and nodded my head.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Va Beach/Norfolk is below sea level which makes certain infrastructure systems challenging to build

Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM

419 posts, read 901,913 times
What's your cutoff for a major metropolitan area? Hampton Roads is around 35 or so in the US SMSAs. It is higher/bigger than say Austin, New Orleans,Raleigh and lots more. It has over a million people in the area, there are specific goods and services unique to this metro area- primarily defense and shipbuilding. What about these makes it less of a metro area than those cities you listed? It is not centralized with a defined city center but that seems to be its nature. Baltimore is not a financial district nor is Pittsburg. Not sure what criterion you are using to determine HR is not a major metro area.Statistically it is. Culturally it is for some and not for others. It is generally not urbane or sophisticated and tends to play the lowest common denominator socially. It is not my cup of tea but that does not make it any less significant or major.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Va Beach/Norfolk is below sea level which makes certain infrastructure systems challenging to build
The average elevation of VA Beach is 12 feet above sea level, and it's 7 feet in Norfolk. While it is true small parts of both cities may sit at or below sea level it is not like NOLA where the whole are is below sea level. I know my house sits 23 feet above sea level.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:48 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times
Top 25 market around the size of Baltimore with a large cbd and skyscrapers.
I don't get why this never happened to HR when Philly, Pit, or Bal became top 25 markets.
This is pre interstate so the cul de sac is not a factor.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Top 25 market around the size of Baltimore with a large cbd and skyscrapers.
I don't get why this never happened to HR when Philly, Pit, or Bal became top 25 markets.
This is pre interstate so the cul de sac is not a factor.
Per interstate it was even harder to get here. The cities you named are all on major transportation routes even before the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area