Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of food is supply in Hampton Roads
Thai 0 0%
Italian 0 0%
Middle eastern 3 42.86%
Southern 1 14.29%
BBQ 1 14.29%
Healthy options 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,404 times

Advertisements

A few questions about the food truck industry in the Hampton Roads area.

1) Is the Hampton Roads area friendly to the food truck industry?
2) Is there room for more food trucks?
3) What type/style of food would you like to see in the area?

Last edited by Chrismorris35; 06-09-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
For your survey, do you mean to ask what type of food is needed in Hampton Roads? I am not clear what the question is.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times
Hampton Roads isn't really walkable so I would say it isn't unless you're on the boardwalk.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:49 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I don't know of any "food trucks" here. Frankly, I don't want to eat food from a truck.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:22 PM

120 posts, read 210,319 times
I would love for there to be some food trucks here, but I don't think the market is there. That and as a previous poster mentioned, there isn't much "walkability" in the HR area.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
There's plenty of spots in HR that are walkable enough for food trucks. Downtown, Ghent, West Ghent, the Oceanfront, and Town Center all have enough foot traffic for permanent food trucks/stands to locate there. And the thing about food trucks is they provide a neighborhood service, and make a place MORE walkable and livable. I can imagine parts of Ocean View, Riverview, Park Place, ODU's campus, Norfolk State's campus, Olde Towne, and spots near Lamberts Point and the shipyards would be good for food trucks too.

I don't really get why people think food trucks are so "out there" and that they can only function in one specific type of setting. If the food is good, people are gonna eat it regardless.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
The response to food trucks varies in different cities....
Norfolk finds appetites vary for food trucks elsewhere | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

According to the article, Norfolk will start allowing food trucks... in only SIX metered spaces in the downtown area. The food truck operators will have to choose to participate in the lottery for the spaces and pay a fee to the city as well.

On a personal note, I used to live in a city where food trucks were all over the place. It was great! When I moved here to HR, I looked all over the region for food trucks. None were to be found. It was a big disappointment.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
There's plenty of spots in HR that are walkable enough for food trucks. Downtown, Ghent, West Ghent, the Oceanfront, and Town Center all have enough foot traffic for permanent food trucks/stands to locate there. And the thing about food trucks is they provide a neighborhood service, and make a place MORE walkable and livable. I can imagine parts of Ocean View, Riverview, Park Place, ODU's campus, Norfolk State's campus, Olde Towne, and spots near Lamberts Point and the shipyards would be good for food trucks too.

I don't really get why people think food trucks are so "out there" and that they can only function in one specific type of setting. If the food is good, people are gonna eat it regardless.
I agree, Norfolk has many walkable/urban areas that could support food trucks. Also, Old Towne Portsmouth is a walkable area and areas in Newport News, such as City Center or Port Warwick.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times
I think it's appropriate to differentiate a walkable area from a walkable area that generates a lot of foot traffic. DC has a ton of areas with food carts which makes sense considering a lot of areas in DC generate a lot of foot traffic and the prices are often more competitive than the brick and mortar restaurants. They also offer a quick meal given how fast paced DC is. Downtown Richmond also has areas where you'll see food carts out every day for the better part of the work day. They cater to repeat customers who are often office workers, students, or people working the health/biotech industries. The only other time I've seen food carts in Hampton Roads was outside some bar hoping to catch people coming out once the kitchens closed, but they didn't get a lot of customers. I think the fourth poster summed up really well in her reaction to the topic why you don't see them a lot in Hampton Roads: they work really in active walkable cities and not so much in areas where people go to chains when they want to get a quick meal.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM

150 posts, read 577,067 times
I was thinking of doing the food truck thing here in Wiliamsburg. I would do cuisines that no one in the area does. I would target TEX-MEX. No place in Virginia that I've tried (from VA Beach to Richmond) does Tex-Mex the way Texas does Tex-Mex. Every place you could replicate their meals/recipes by taking a trip to the local 7/11, very low quality food. I say GO FOR IT. A food truck = mobility so you're not promised to ONE spot. Adventure out Hampton Roads, target big businesses during lunch hours and shopping areas during the evening. Make a go of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area