U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 9,529 times

Advertisements

Hello all, next weekend I'll be moving from just north of Richmond to HR. We are going to be living just off E. Little Back River, near Mercury, to give you an idea. I'll be commuting to the Greenbrier Mall area of Chesapeake. My new job will be 8-5 for a least six weeks while I'm in training; after that I'm hoping to work 7-4 to alleviate at least some traffic.

I plan to take the MMBT since in "ideal" Google maps traffic it's a 10-minute delay, but in "real life terrible rage-blackout-inducing HRBT" traffic will probably save me a great deal of time.

That said, when I traveled to Chesapeake from NN via the MMBT for my interview it was 10:30am and I made it in 30-35 minutes. Coming back around 3:30pm it wasn't much worse, maybe 35-40 minutes.

What do I need to add to those times to account for traffic during the 7am and 5pm time frames on a typical day? Am I talking about adding 15 minutes, 30 minutes? An hour?

I'm taking classes at TNCC and they start at 7pm - do I have a shot at getting home to eat before school, or should I pack dinner?

Thanks in advance for the help - I have no time to do trial runs since I'm going straight from my job in Richmond on a Friday to my job in Chesapeake on the following Monday. The last thing I need is showing up late several days in a row because I don't know how traffic works.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,705,069 times
I would give myself an extra hour. 2 hours from Richmond to the Southside during rush hour sounds about right.

Doesn't matter how you get across the water, just that you do. They all get crowded at one time or another. In my personal experience rush "hour" can be 4 hours here, as early as 5 or 6, and as late as 9 or 10. Thursday can be worse than Friday. On the return it gets busy at 2 and can go until 6.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 AM

368 posts, read 882,219 times
The problem (which in my experience is limited mostly to weekend travel, but I'll add it anyway in case it's helpful) is not the everyday add-on time, but the occasional add-on time that will get you. In my experience, the tunnels back-up indeterminately, so it's not really a standard question of "How much time should I add?" because the amount of time will change from day to day. I agree with goofy that an extra hour should be enough (most days) to cushion you.

Also, I don't know if this is just our bad luck, but the two times we've taken the MM to avoid traffic through the HRBT, they've temporarily stopped all traffic through the tunnel and we've been stuck in absolute stand-still traffic for close to an hour. Again, this was on weekends, but, really, based on that, it's hard for me to recommend the MM over the HRBT. Does anybody else have any insight into this?????

Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
The problem (which in my experience is limited mostly to weekend travel, but I'll add it anyway in case it's helpful) is not the everyday add-on time, but the occasional add-on time that will get you. In my experience, the tunnels back-up indeterminately, so it's not really a standard question of "How much time should I add?" because the amount of time will change from day to day. I agree with goofy that an extra hour should be enough (most days) to cushion you.

Also, I don't know if this is just our bad luck, but the two times we've taken the MM to avoid traffic through the HRBT, they've temporarily stopped all traffic through the tunnel and we've been stuck in absolute stand-still traffic for close to an hour. Again, this was on weekends, but, really, based on that, it's hard for me to recommend the MM over the HRBT. Does anybody else have any insight into this?????
I've never had any problems with the monitor Merrimack, the reason I don't take it is because it is out of the the way. Only good for going in and out of Newport news. I've either livrd closer to 264 or 64. Monitor Merrimack connects to 664, which is out of the way for most of the Southside. Having said that, if you spend the extra 15 to 20 minutes it takes to get there, it is usually a smooth trip into Newport News.

I think we need an ugly bridge, like you would find in San Diego or Miami, not a third bridge tunnel, to connect the Southside with the Peninsula.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:

I've never had any problems with the monitor Merrimack, the reason I don't take it is because it is out of the the way. Only good for going in and out of Newport news. I've either lived closer to 264 or 64. Monitor Merrimack connects to 664, which is out of the way for most of the Southside. Having said that, if you spend the extra 15 to 20 minutes it takes to get there, it is usually a smooth trip into Newport News.

I think we need an ugly bridge, like you would find in San Diego or Miami, not a third bridge tunnel, to connect the Southside with the Peninsula.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I would give myself an extra hour. 2 hours from Richmond to the Southside during rush hour sounds about right.
I'm moving to Hampton so I'll be commuting from Hampton to Chesapeake, not from Richmond to Chesapeake. Sorry if I was unclear.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I agree with goofy that an extra hour should be enough (most days) to cushion you.
Just wanted to check because it seems like my post implied I am commuting from Richmond. I will need to add approximately an extra hour each way for a commute between Hampton & Chesapeake - is that right?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressedflowers View Post
Just wanted to check because it seems like my post implied I am commuting from Richmond. I will need to add approximately an extra hour each way for a commute between Hampton & Chesapeake - is that right?
Yes, to be on the safe side. 30 minutes if you're feeling lucky and enjoy the stress.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yes, to be on the safe side. 30 minutes if you're feeling lucky and enjoy the stress.
Haha NO thanks. Looks like I'll be packing dinners to eat at school... joy! How much do you guys pay for the blood pressure meds it takes to handle the traffic?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressedflowers View Post
Haha NO thanks. Looks like I'll be packing dinners to eat at school... joy! How much do you guys pay for the blood pressure meds it takes to handle the traffic?
The traffic doesn't bother me. Nothing compared to other cities. If you can live, work and, and play in the same city I recommend doing so to make your life easier. Sometimes that is easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or