U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 883 times

Advertisements

I'm a new resident of Hampton Roads(6 months) and fairly new to this great forum. I look forward to adding to the discussions here, but I thought I would start with an issue I find particularly fascinating about greater Hampton Roads.

Transportation has been discussed in bits in pieces on this forum(i.e. light rail disussion) but I wanted to start this thread to discuss "how people get around" more broadly. I have come to realize that the average citizen has only one transportation choice for commuting here. I have also realized that many average citizens do not think that to be a particularly bad state of things, while at the same time decrying the traffic bottlenecks, potholes and taxation/tolling to provide costly infrastructure that automobile dependence necessitates.

I'm interested in gaining a local perspective (collective historical knowledge) as to what decision-making on the part of what institutions or individuals got the region into this transportation situation. I realize that geographic, social, political and national "trends and forces" played a role, but a follow-up question would be why do the residents of HR not forcefully demand more transportation choice?

I would also like to gain some perspective on where you all think the region is headed with transportation? Can population and economic growth be maintained with automobile only development dominating into the future?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me into the discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM

172 posts, read 253,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHRGuy View Post
I would also like to gain some perspective on where you all think the region is headed with transportation? Can population and economic growth be maintained with automobile only development dominating into the future?
It is headed nowhere - you can hardly even get people to share a ride, much less use any sort of public transit. The fact that the whole system is so horrible - HRT even admitted recently that the main transfer center at Cedar Grove was so dismal it discouraged increased use. Do you find the new main transfer location to be much better?

Population can be maintained as people are staying and moving in due to temporary circumstances as others are leaving and moving on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: