U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,189 times

Advertisements

hi all
I'm a 20 year old female who is looking to move to the Hampton Roads area for college next year. I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

1. Do I need a car to live here, or is public transportation good?
2. Have any of you experienced racism in this area?
3. What's the dating scene like? Is it hard meeting guys?
4. Are there lots of things to do there or does it get boring quickly?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,737,334 times
Where will you go to college? Hampton Roads covers a lot of area. You need a car if you will be in Hampton or Newport News. There is a public bus system, but plan on long waits if you intend to rely on it.

Why don't you go on a website that reviews colleges? That will give you a better idea of the social scene/dating at your college. This one has decent reviews that includes social life: College Reviews: StudentsReview : Over 127700 College Reviews ™ (3,359 schools reviewed!)

Re boredom. Every place in the world is boring. Every place in the world is exciting. I think it has more to do with the person than the place. Obviously if someone abhors small town life, they will have to work harder to find excitement and things of interest in a small town of 150 and likely should not move to such a place.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,518,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokki93 View Post
hi all
I'm a 20 year old female who is looking to move to the Hampton Roads area for college next year. I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

Thanks!
Not sure which school you are attending, but you will most likely need a car. This is a very sprawled out area and not many people stick to just their neighborhood (or even city) for everything. Lots of folks live in one city, work in another, hang out in another, etc. It's possible to get around with public transit, and it's getting even better, but outside of a few inner-city neighborhoods in Norfolk I wouldn't recommend relying on it for everything.

Racism is everywhere. Is it worse here than anywhere else? Probably not. However, I'm white and do not get confronted with this as often as other ethnicities.

This is a military area, so no it's not hard to meet guys. Go to any bar at the Oceanfront on a weekend and you'd probably have your pick. I've heard from female friends that this seems great for single women, but can get annoying as well. Just depends on what you're looking for. This is a big enough area to find your niche, for sure.

I think there's lots to do here. I'm more outdoorsy, and I enjoy surfing, kayaking, and hiking locally. Plus we are driving distance to the mountains and the Outer Banks for world class scenery. There's also lots of spots to go to for culture and entertainment: Chrysler Museum, Attucks Theatre, Wells Theatre, Sandler Center, NorVa, Harrison Opera House, Scope, Hampton Colliseum, Virginia Zoo, Virginia Aquarium, Nauticus, Chrysler Hall, and so on. There's always lots of festivals year round too. If you're into the bar scene, we've got Granby Street/Downtown, the Oceanfront, and Town Center. However, this is where the car thing comes back into question - the places listed above span from Hampton to Norfolk to Virginia Beach. Keep in mind that altogether the Hampton Roads area is a huge chunk of land with close to 2 million people living in it. IMO if you get bored here, it's because you choose to be bored.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,170,621 times
Quote:
hi all

Thanks!
You definitely want a car when moving to this area, public transportation sucks. I haven't experienced any racism; actually experienced more back in Ohio. Not sure about the dating scene. It does get boring quickly; if you're a "big city" person, you will get bored, but this area is a lot more interesting than Southwest Virginia, which is more rural.

It really depends on where you're from. A lot of Northeasterners here that have their own personal issues, and get in their own feelings, because this place isn't NY, Massachusetts, etc. But there is enough, also depends on what you want to do. There is a little bit of the arts here, not much, mainly in the older cities like Norfolk, Portsmouth, although Virginia Beach has a new performing arts complex, and there more than a few museums, small, but they do exist. A lot of kids activities, more of a family place than a place for adults IMHO. Not bad, a good mix of people here, some for military, others off of who they know some looking for a change of pace, etc.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 AM

thanks for your answers
I was thinking of going to Old Dominion University. Only other place I've lived in the states (I'm not from the us) is San Diego, and I liked that very much!

Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,170,621 times
Quote:
thanks for your answers
I was thinking of going to Old Dominion University. Only other place I've lived in the states (I'm not from the us) is San Diego, and I liked that very much!
You shouldn't have any problems then

Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You shouldn't have any problems then
Agreed. I hear a lot about the similarities between SD and HR (aside from weather).

Old 09-13-2013, 12:31 AM

59 posts, read 99,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Agreed. I hear a lot about the similarities between SD and HR (aside from weather).
Whut?!

Is this a joke?

I presume this this sarcasm, but man you gotta throw a "LOL" or a "" or a "/sarcasm" in there or something at the end cause people might think you're serious.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geork View Post
Whut?!

Is this a joke?

I presume this this sarcasm, but man you gotta throw a "LOL" or a "" or a "/sarcasm" in there or something at the end cause people might think you're serious.
Nope. Not sarcasm. I know MANY people, since both areas have a lot of military, who have spent time in both places and have commented about how VB has a similar feel to SD. They mention how sprawled out it is, its beach-y vibe, the military presence, etc. /notsarcasm.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 AM

How's the cost of living compared to San Diego? I assume it's cheaper? Will owning a car be cheaper in Hampton Roads than SD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area