Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,255,607 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you might know of non-chain eating -- the kind of restaurants that kids and parents will like a lot. I don't need a train circling the ceiling, but that wouldn't hurt if you know of one!

I'm mainly looking for really good food of any ethnicity -- just as long as it's good food.

And if you know of a novel place where the restaurant is inside an old train car or something like that, I'd love to hear about that too.

My husband loves to sample bakeries. We saw Just Cupcakes on Cupcake Wars and would like to visit.

Any other outstanding bakery suggestions?

Breakfast suggestions would be great too!

Thanks!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM

1,744 posts, read 2,370,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you might know of non-chain eating -- the kind of restaurants that kids and parents will like a lot. I don't need a train circling the ceiling, but that wouldn't hurt if you know of one!

I'm mainly looking for really good food of any ethnicity -- just as long as it's good food.
I stick around the main tourist areas when I visit VB, as I come in via Amtrak. Those are mostly chain restaurants though. I personally like Tautogs in that area, which is a local restaurant in an old beach shack. Other family members like to eat breakfast at Doc Martin's, though I haven't tried it yet. That's a sister restaurant to Tautog's and is located near it. It looks more like somebody's house with a huge front porch.

If you family ever decides to check out the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I can recommend The Narrows Restaurant on Kent Island. Good food, nice water views and a train circling the ceiling that has fascinated generations of children.

Last edited by ersatz; 09-08-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,715,917 times
Breakfast suggestion - Classic Diner is amazing! Best cream chipped beef. it's pretty simple looking but is pretty delicious and inexpensive

Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM

203 posts, read 474,712 times
Great breakfast at the Oceanfront is Pocahontas Pancake House. For a great Mom and Pop seafood place, visit Margie and Rays Seafood on Sandbridge Road about a mile off the Sandbridge beach.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,342 times
Breakfast - Marys on the oceanfront. Huge pancakes and servings :-)

Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,911,491 times
Best bakery in Virginia Beach is an area called Hilltop, just west of the Oceanfront. It's called Sugar Plum Bakery. Definitely go there.

Sugar Plum Bakery located in Virginia Beach, VA

There's also Flour Child Bakery near Chic's Beach. It's tiny and easy to miss, but they have really great mini key-lime pies in there. Good stuff!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:48 AM

41 posts, read 78,682 times
Best place for breakfast that is very family friendly is 757Crave at Marina Shores (Great Neck and Shore Drive). It's outdoor seating (covered though if it's raining) and at the marina so you can watch all the boats. Dogs are welcome too! Chicks and Bubba's, both on Shore Drive, are very family friendly and casual and have good seafood. Both are on the water.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM

179 posts, read 487,545 times
No Frill Grill, there are two, one in Norfolk and one in Virginia Beach. The beach location is larger and in a diner style. Both have great food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area