U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 20,757 times

Advertisements

I have pretty much decided through my research that Cox HS is the best high school in the Virginia Beach area. It seems to be in the most affluent area and therefore is reflected in their test scores. I like the idea of my kids being surrounded by other kids who are expected to go to college and whose parents are successful professionals, snobs or not, I don't care. But the one draw is that Princess Anne HS offers the IB program (similar to AP but a little more rigorous). I really want my kids to be in this program but I'm not sure if Princess Anne is a good enough school to make it worth it.

Any suggestions, opinions, or personal experiences would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,733,496 times
Several of the high schools offer what they call "academy" programs which is for advance academic studies...each of these high schools offer a different academy pertaining to certain careers or studies....I cant think of all of them off the top of my head so I might be off on one of them but yes PA has the International Baccalaureate program, Ocean Lakes has the math and science program, First Colonial has the Law (legal studies) program and I believe Bayside is Health Sciences...I think there is another one or two high schools that also have different programs...Each program accepts about 150 students each year from across the city....about 500-600 apply for each program so only about 1 in 5 gets accepted...The students in the academy only attend core classes with other academy students .......but all non core classes are with the regular HS students in a regular high school environment...I would highly recommend any of the academy programs at the other high schools over just "general studies" at Cox.......One of the other good things about the academies is you don’t have to live in that school district...

One more thing...if your child attends the IB academy program at PA those class will count as college credits/hours at most colleges across the world...The other academies even though the students are taking college classes while in HS the students will not receive college credits ......but most colleges will allow those students to take the post test in those studies and if they past the post test then the college will grant them the hours or credits for those classes

Last edited by rtandc; 11-15-2007 at 09:49 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 AM

46 posts, read 230,320 times
PA is regarded as a decent school here. I don't personally, but all the other highschool kids dislike those that go to Cox.

Stupid I know, but I figured you should know.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM

7,816 posts, read 18,231,457 times
My daughter graduated from Cox about 8 years ago. She hated it, and told us frequently that it was the Virginia Beach version of 90210. She was glad to be out of there when she graduated. My wife was a teacher in another VB school and she always thought that Cox was highly over rated.

blessings.....Franco

Old 11-16-2007, 04:07 PM

46 posts, read 230,320 times
yeah, i have a teacher at green run who used to teach at cox, she said the kids over there have a lot more problems than the ones at green run (which is the one with the bad rep) because of their access to money.

you'd probably be better off at princess anne.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM

62 posts, read 222,151 times
Default cox high school

Hi,

My oldest two kids graduated from Cox and my youngest was in the first graduating class of the Ocean Lakes Math and Science Magnet High School. They all had good high school experiences and look back fondly on their hs days. They all went to college (UVA and UMW) and two went on to grad school.

Cox and OL both offered many AP classes, which allowed them to earn college credits while in hs. My son actually started at UVA as a sophomore because of the number of AP credits he had.

They had friends who went to the IB program at PA, who were also very successful. I think if your kids are serious students they will do well at any school that offers accelerated classes they are interested in.

If your kids are accepted into a magnet school, the city provides transportation regardless of your "district". We lived in the Cox district, yet my OL son was picked up at the end of our road. They also offered activity buses so that the kids could stay after school for clubs and sports if they wanted.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:30 PM

7,816 posts, read 18,231,457 times
BTW, academically speaking, COX is probably as good as any school in VB. My daughter now has a masters degree in Geology from the University of Nevada, so obviously COX gave her the academic background to be a successful college student. It was the social scene that she hated, even though she is a tremendously social person. Friends matter alot to her. She simply didn't like the 90210 circus.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 PM

230 posts, read 1,102,283 times
i have to respond to this. i moved out of VA beach when i was 14. my brother went to Cox and it was a circus. yeah, he had a good education but he also was heavily involved in drugs (dealing them) *sigh* and most of the people he knew at least smoked pot. i know kids will be kids, but it was almost accepted that this is what kids did there by everone. a lot of the girls are very 90210 ( and I live in California now, so it's pretty bad if I say that). A lot of my friends that I left behind got into quite a bit of trouble. The affluence is seriously a pain in the rear sometimes. the kids feel entitled, are snobby and get into more trouble than average. This isn't to say that all the kids are like this. . but. . . it was an issue.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 PM

8,323 posts, read 14,568,821 times
I just want to say that Princess Anne High School IB program is the most rigorous and challenging program available in Hampton Roads. I was in the IB program.

Personally, I'd say to let your kid(s) try out for the IB program. If they are accepted, then go for it; if not, go for Cox.

PA's test scores are also skewered by the West Wing - which is a set of programs that bring together the teen pregnant kids from all over Norfolk and Virginia Beach and bring together all of the super-mentally and retarded and physically handicapped into their own classrooms to learn as a group but test with the rest of the school.

Teen pregnancies. Some are brilliant minds, but most are the "bad test takers". And kids with Down Syndrome and such don't normally test well.

PAHS has a rigorous structure with not just the IB program. I'd recommend it.

I walked out of high school and have a successful career as a programmer. Not to mention, my hubby went to the "normal" classes at PAHS - and he's the manager of a restaurant.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 PM

8,323 posts, read 14,568,821 times
Oh, here's something else to counter the "Cox is better than PAHS"

Newsweek Top schools of 2007

Princess Anne is ranked 213 in the nation.
Cox is rated 849 in the nation.

Just because an area is more affluent doesn't mean that the school results are better. Might I add that PAHS is about to receive a large amount of affluence from Towne Center - Preforming Arts Center and that GIANT over-priced condominium sky scraper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area