U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 PM

15 posts, read 32,708 times

Advertisements

hey there me and my family are looking to move to Virginia around the Chesapeake area, we are coming from a city north of seattle wa. We are looking for a smaller town feel but close enough to the city to visit easily. We are looking for safe neighborhoods with a little acerage as we like space, good schooling is number one for us. Any suggestions is much appreciated, thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 AM

1,653 posts, read 5,352,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumford12 View Post
hey there me and my family are looking to move to Virginia around the Chesapeake area, we are coming from a city north of seattle wa. We are looking for a smaller town feel but close enough to the city to visit easily. We are looking for safe neighborhoods with a little acerage as we like space, good schooling is number one for us. Any suggestions is much appreciated, thanks so much!
Chesapeake may fit the bill for you. However, when you say "small town" feel, does that mean "rural and spread out" or "little, tight-knit, Main Street" kinda thing? Chesapeake definitely has the rural and spread out vibe. Areas like Hickory are that way and have good schools, so I've heard. However, Chesapeake is a big chunk of land and is a sort-of mixed bag. Areas of the city like Greenbrier or Great Bridge have a suburban feel with traffic, shopping centers, etc. South Norfolk is Chesapeake's oldest neighborhood and is a working class, urban neighborhood bordering the city of Norfolk.

There a some small towns on the outskirts of this region, however. Maybe some of them would be what you're looking for. Check out Smithfield, and maybe parts of Suffolk.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 PM

5,915 posts, read 8,805,967 times
Look closely at the schools. Some districts offer a lot more extras than others. You need to make sure the schools you choose offer what you want.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:06 PM

179 posts, read 443,325 times
We live in Chesapeake and it is a great family city. You can be out in the country or a more neighborhood feel. Just depends on where you go, it is pretty spread out. As much as Suffolk has some nice homes I would not move there for the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or