U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,864 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at an off-season rental for a couple months (I work remotely). Never been to Virginia Beach. How is it without a car during off-season? Would probably be staying in area of 1st to 20th.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,555,067 times
I'd like to be able to say that you can get around town using public transportation but I can't honestly say that. Our bus service is poor at best. We're definitely a car-dependent area.

There are three WAVE shuttle routes that will take you all over the oceanfront area. Route 30 takes you from one end of Atlantic to the other. Route 31 takes you down by the aquarium. Route 32 is called the Shoppers Shuttle because it takes you first to the shops and stores in the Hilltop Shopping area and if you ride it a little further, it'll take you to Lynnhaven Mall shopping area.

There is a bus station/transfer area at Pacific and 9th where you can catch multiple routes but I don't know all the details.

There are many areas in Virginia Beach other than the Oceanfront that are worth seeing and visiting but unfortunately there is either no bus service or the closest bus stop is several miles away from where you want to be.

More detailed route information can be found at the website of Hampton Roads Transit.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
There are three WAVE shuttle routes that will take you all over the oceanfront area. Route 30 takes you from one end of Atlantic to the other. Route 31 takes you down by the aquarium. Route 32 is called the Shoppers Shuttle because it takes you first to the shops and stores in the Hilltop Shopping area and if you ride it a little further, it'll take you to Lynnhaven Mall shopping area.......
Seems rather silly to correct my own post, but this information is incorrect. The WAVE shuttle 30 operates from May through September. The other two shuttles operate from May through Labor Day.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,864 times
Thank you LilyLady! I'll look into renting a car

What's the winter crowd like? In my late 20s, laid back guy. Mostly there for the ocean.

Last edited by JustinTravel; 09-25-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Justin, maybe these will help....

Beach Street USA - check their events calendar for each month.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:40 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,319,623 times
I didn't live at the oceanfront, but I used to live off of Birdneck and would ride my bike a lot during the late fall/winter. I think it is a lot more of a mellow atmosphere then, so I enjoy it more. I used to hang out at a CP Schuckers down there and enjoyed it a lot.

I also like when they put up the christmas lights at the ocean front, because I would bike through them. It definitely got me in the holiday spirit.

Not sure where you're from, but if you could rent a car cheaply from time to time, I'd recommend it. If you're there for the oceanfront attractions, I recommend getting a bike.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,419,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTravel View Post
I'm looking at an off-season rental for a couple months (I work remotely). Never been to Virginia Beach. How is it without a car during off-season? Would probably be staying in area of 1st to 20th.
It really depends what you want to do. If you are looking for an urban experience full of culture and museums then probably not. But if you just want to chill on the beach and do outdoorsy stuff then definitely. You could bike to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, golf courses (yes I strap my bag on my back while riding a bike), the aquarium, redwing park, and the boardwalk with a bike. You can even ride to hilltop and First Landing park with a bike pretty easily from the strip.

Winter crowd is a lot more locals and laid back. We usually only go to the strip October - May because the summer is too crazy. The problem people tend to face around here is that they can't do EVERYTHING without a car. Folks want to go to Norfolk for certain things, VB for other things, Hampton for other things... but the reality is that if you are a beach person I think you could do fine at the oceanfront without a car for a few months. Give me a wetsuit, a longboard, a beach cruiser, a volleyball, some tennis rackets, and my golf clubs and I could go months at the oceanfront without a car.

Only thing to keep in mind is that we are not tropical here, so it really depends what you mean by off season. January at the beach can be chilly and windy. Not always, but it can be. So that can be a consideration. October, however, is usually awesome... and the water is still decent where you can get away with a light wetsuit until about thanksgiving... so the earlier the better if you ask me.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:27 PM

UHgrad, you said that so much better than I did. I tried to rep you, but I think I'm out of points for today. Figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area