Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 03:41 PM

6,416 posts, read 1,390,948 times

Advertisements

Hey there, with all due respect all bodies of water is not the same. The Chesapeake Bay is one of a kind, awesome salt water enormous Bay. The ocean , particularly on the east coast is awesome, and salt water is just the best place to fish, swim, and go to the beach. And California may be cool and have nice weather, but it is a completely lawless state with many problems....
Attached Thumbnails
I CANT STAND NON-LOCALS to HR-welcome-california-sign.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 04:29 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,490,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Hey there, with all due respect all bodies of water is not the same. The Chesapeake Bay is one of a kind, awesome salt water enormous Bay. The ocean , particularly on the east coast is awesome, and salt water is just the best place to fish, swim, and go to the beach. And California may be cool and have nice weather, but it is a completely lawless state with many problems....
Have lived in California and here.

If the taxes and COL wasn't so high, would definitely still be there. There's really no comparison, even with all of their loony political beliefs.

The majority of people that live in this area do so because they were born and raised here or the military brought them here. There are exceptions, but very few people move here by choice.

The COL to income ratio is terrible. Outside of a few small pockets, there's little-to-no culture. Traffic anywhere near a bridge is ridiculous. Government leadership is terrible. Income compared to most metropolitan areas of similar COL is horrendous.

One thing I will say, there is a LOT of anger here Hampton Roads and less courtesy than anywhere else I've ever lived(New York, North Carolina, Michigan, Bay Area of California). You see it in public and really see it in anyone behind the wheel. It's sad because I don't remember this place being like that back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM

6,416 posts, read 1,390,948 times
That is very sad, I'm a native of Tidewater, and lived there in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I was there in 2001 before I moved away. That's very sad, I remember where I grew up as slightly southern and very well mannered people that said hi to everybody on the street. We said yes ma'am and yes sir too. It's still like this in much of the culture where I live now too, but many northerners and other people are moving in changing the culture....

Old 09-27-2019, 10:21 AM

19,036 posts, read 16,843,252 times
Your commenting to a 6 year old thread I doubt the OP is coming back to check...

Old 09-28-2019, 05:24 PM

795 posts, read 1,000,087 times
Flash back of posts from "The Voice Of Reason". Trolled here for years. Glad he finally got kicked off or left the HR forum.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:02 AM

118 posts, read 154,801 times
Wow. I was getting a little homesick for my hometown area (probably due to not being able to visit family/friends because of covid) but reading this thread reminded me why I left back in 2008. Selective memory temporarily made me forget that every time I visit, I'm appalled at the aggressive and terrible drivers, the lack of adequate roads for the obvious population expansion/building up, etc.
Don't get me wrong - there are some beautiful natural and historic places in HR and not everyone who lives there sucks, but this thread has reminded me why I left and showed me that not much has changed. I guess you tend to forget those everyday issues when you only visit the places you've always loved.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:32 AM

7,139 posts, read 3,966,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
Wow. I was getting a little homesick for my hometown area (probably due to not being able to visit family/friends because of covid) but reading this thread reminded me why I left back in 2008. Selective memory temporarily made me forget that every time I visit, I'm appalled at the aggressive and terrible drivers, the lack of adequate roads for the obvious population expansion/building up, etc.
Don't get me wrong - there are some beautiful natural and historic places in HR and not everyone who lives there sucks, but this thread has reminded me why I left and showed me that not much has changed. I guess you tend to forget those everyday issues when you only visit the places you've always loved.
As an outsider New Yorker, I shake my head every time some retiree posts about relocating to Virginia because of the lower cost of living, but opposes the culture of Virginia.

It's the equivalent of moving to New York City and expecting NYC to conform to your demands. New Yorkers would bluntly say: "don't like, leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out".

But, Virginia lacks the "don't like, leave" option. Many big city northerns expect Virginia to change for them and their aggressive driving ways.

BTW, a friend lives in Williamsburg and loves it just they way it is. March weather in Williamsburg is perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area