Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 AM

303 posts, read 595,501 times

Advertisements

A bit about us:

Newlywed couple, both in the IT industry though in different stages of our careers. I'm a SysAdmin, he's a Sr. Tech. We went down to Williamsburg for our honeymoon and was bowled over by the peacefulness of the area and the overall quality of life.

So, I'm on a fact-finding mission. We're in our late 20s - early 30s, no kids, with a combined income of around 100k currently. Coming from the DC Area, would we need to make around that much to be sustainable?

Are jobs difficult to find down there? I've been trying to look on Craigslist but I have no idea which section of CL to find Williamsburg.

Anyway, any pointers given would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM

368 posts, read 995,575 times
Williamsburg is a really nice area. If you luck out, both of you might be able to find jobs right there, but, more likely, at least one of you will have to commute into the lower peninsula (Newport News, Hampton, etc.). Home prices in Williamsburg are higher than many places on the peninsula, but, compared to DC, should be a nice relief. I would think a family of two should be able to get by just fine on 100K.

People will tell you that civilian jobs are hard to come by in the area--my family has not found this to be the case. My husband works in the private sector, and people at his company seem to move into and out of area jobs relatively easily. Still, I wouldn't come to the area until at least one of you (preferably both of you) have secured a good job. I would make that recommendation anywhere, though.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM

303 posts, read 595,501 times
I'm perfectly fine with a commute into the neighboring areas. Right now we currently live in PG County MD, and I commute about an hour away to Arlington, VA. So, that kind of thing doesn't bother me much.

Glancing through the home prices, I saw that it's definitely a lot cheaper down there than it is here. 250k will get you a LOT more home in Williamsburg.

Thanks for the input - looking forward to any other insight!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:53 AM

154 posts, read 388,343 times
If you don't mind a long commute, look at jobs in Richmond too. Downtown is only an hour away from much of Williamsburg. There job market is better there if you're not in one of the specific industries that is found in Williamsburg/the Peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area