Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM

35 posts, read 82,317 times

Advertisements

What are the safe areas in portsmouth? Military move to the base in suffolk but not many places for rent there with fenced yards. Saw some older cute houses in portsmouth at a decent price but I don't want to live in a bad area. I am moving from pensacola and currently live on the bad side but my neighborhood is okay, so that would be fine with me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
look in churchland (portsmouth) or western branch (chesapeake)

in suffolk, stay away from the college square area.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM

What about these neighborhoods?

Portsmouth- Cradock, Highland Bitmac, Windmill Shores
Chesapeake-Wilmund Place
Virginia Beach-Pecan Gardners, Green Run, Grand Lake

If you could rate these areas from 1-10, 10 being the most dangerous (As in I should not sit on my porch at night).

Also, what is so bad about College Square area in Suffolk?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkaelie View Post
What about these neighborhoods?

Portsmouth- Cradock, Highland Bitmac, Windmill Shores
Chesapeake-Wilmund Place
Virginia Beach-Pecan Gardners, Green Run, Grand Lake

If you could rate these areas from 1-10, 10 being the most dangerous (As in I should not sit on my porch at night).

Also, what is so bad about College Square area in Suffolk?
Not to be funny, but that's a list of areas to avoid.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 PM

Well rate them for me. Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, because those are the only places I like that I've seen for rent

Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 AM

There are tons of other places that you can see for rent. What is your price range/needs? Make a list of needs and make a list of "wants" (believe it or not, but a fenced back yard might just be a "want"; a need is I need a safe place to live that will allow my pets)

College Square in Suffolk - drove through it once at night bc I was looking at a duplex there and my boyfriend who has lived in northern suffolk for years said it was ghetto. I didn't believe him until I drove through it at night. I was scared with my doors locked because people kept walking up to my car at stopsigns and were like almost at my window until I was like efff it, i'd rather hit another car than shot/raped by this dude at my window. Wouldn't walk outside of my locked car there at night. Annnnnnnnnd I lived in a terrible neighborhood (Ward's Corner norfolk) before.

Instead of rating the ghettoes.... how about give us a list of requirements and maybe we can help you find something safer?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
What's your priority? Personal safety, property crime, schools, no gun shots? Maybe if you tell us what you like about the areas it would help us rate them. Why not base housing?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 AM

What about central suffolk?

Well I want a place that has a fence or at least a lot of yard space. I guess I could build a fence. I need washer dryer hook ups and central ac and heat. I want something at least 750sqft unless it has 3 bedrooms the at least 900. My price range is no more than 950.

He doesn't like base housing.

Bad areas that don't bother me are where it's a quiet street mostly but yes there are some people that walk around and sometimes you get someone wanting a smoke or to mow your lawn. I've lived in a worse area where I saw a hooker before and someone got shot the street over but not on my street. I have 2 dogs and one is gonna be at least 60 lbs and he barks at anyone that walks by. I don't know about up there but down here the people in the bad areas normally are scared of dogs.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 AM

My priority would be personal safety

Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 AM

First, that price range will probably not get you much of a yard in a safe area, especially if you are looking for a rental with pets. Are you okay with trying apartment complexes with a dog park or something as opposed to renting a home?

If you are looking for home rentals, try www.militarybyowner.com where they may be a bit more lenient on pets than most people are.

I would also toss VB out of the equation bc I would not commute between VB and Suffolk on a daily basis. You either have to go over a bridge or under a tunnel to get to work, neither of which is deal since the bridge adds a bunch of extra miles to the commute usually.

Focus on Chesapeake or the churchland section of Portsmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area