Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM

403 posts, read 770,855 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there are any safe, affordable (no more than 200,000 for a house, and even that is pushing it a bit), area with jobs that you do not have to drive into DC for? We are looking to relocate from Pa to get away from rapidly rising crime. Being somewhat near the ocean would be a definite plus, but I realize we may not get that with our budget. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,689,627 times
Hate to call out Hampton Roads here but if you're going to go as far as moving your family just to get away from crime this area is not the place to go.

While it might be less crime here than where you're at the area is increasing in crime the last couple years. It seems like every time I turn on the news something bad is happening here even in areas that have been known for very little crime.

So while this area is still a lot better than most areas of the country I just don't think I'd pack up and leave to move here because if you're going to pack up and move your family you might as well go somewhere that isn't having the increased crime like we are.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 PM

No, definitely don't want to go through the hassle of all that just to have to do it again in a few years! Are you familiar with other areas of the state? Is there another area that you can recommend? Thanks!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
This is not the place for you! You're not going to get a great house for under $200K. The ones you do find priced in the $100K range are going to be in the areas that make the news every night.

The job market is not healthy, either. Wages are very low, especially for the cost of living.

While they embellish it for TV, I was watching House Hunters last night and they were in the Atlanta suburbs. Not sure how the crime is or what the job market is like, but just quickly searching online (and also where the couple ended up buying) Acworth, GA has very affordable property and looks safe from street views.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM

How about other areas of VA? I've been told the Richmond suburbs in Chesterfield county are nice. Is crime spreading all throughout the state like it is in the Hamptons? We really don't want to go any further south than VA, because we would like to be withing driving distance of our family.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,219,600 times
Do you have to be in Virginia? Have you considered North Carolina? Raleigh? Greensboro? I know you can get a nice house under $200,000 in Greensboro. It's a decent size metropolitan area and it's not far from Virginia.

I agree with Coconut1 that the job market here is not good and the wages are low.

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:34 AM

Virginia was as far as we wanted to go as far as drive time. It is about 6 hours from us, and we would be making somewhat frequent trips back to visit family. Also, I am not a fan of the major humidity and bugs!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Virginia was as far as we wanted to go as far as drive time. It is about 6 hours from us, and we would be making somewhat frequent trips back to visit family. Also, I am not a fan of the major humidity and bugs!
I think you are either going to have to go into North Carolina or West to Ohio to find what you are looking for for $200k. Neither state has good employment prospects right now. Chesterfield County is a pretty decent option but I don't know about what is available in the $175-200k range there.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:09 AM

368 posts, read 995,643 times
You can buy a smaller house in a good area of Newport News for under $200,000 right now. My family lives in the CNU (Christopher Newport University) section of Newport News, and we feel very safe here. There are definitely areas of Newport News where crime is prohibitive (especially, in the southeastern section), but there are some really nice areas, too, and it's very affordable right now. There's been a lot of recent development in the midtown area, and I think it's on the upswing.

Also on the peninsula, there are nice areas of Hampton that are affordable. Williamsburg, York County and Poquoson are nice with good schools and generally safe. The downside to these areas is that they're somewhat expensive.

Hampton Roads has a lot to offer. We like the weather and there's a lot to do here (beaches, the Virginia Zoo, Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, etc.). I wouldn't move here just to avoid crime, but there are definitely areas where you and your family can live safely, affordably, and well. The job market can be tough--I wouldn't advise moving here (or anywhere) without a solid job opportunity in place. It's definitely doable, though. Best of luck!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:34 AM

368 posts, read 995,643 times
Also, if you're looking for information on other parts of Virginia, have you considered posting in the general Virginia forum? There might be someone on there who can give you some good tips about different parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area