U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 02:37 PM

38 posts, read 77,734 times

Advertisements

I might apply for job in Hampton. Don’t know yet. Right now I Live in a small town and commute about 45 min to work in Des Moines, Iowa. I was stationed in Norfolk from, 1981-85. I’m sure it’s not the same. Married, with two children. One about to graduate HS the other will be starting HS. The job I am thinking about starts around 70K. Looking for safe place with good schools, in that salary range. Don’t have a problem commuting.
Thanks,
Brad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 PM

24,921 posts, read 35,577,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noofensmoke View Post
I might apply for job in Hampton. Don’t know yet. Right now I Live in a small town and commute about 45 min to work in Des Moines, Iowa. I was stationed in Norfolk from, 1981-85. I’m sure it’s not the same. Married, with two children. One about to graduate HS the other will be starting HS. The job I am thinking about starts around 70K. Looking for safe place with good schools, in that salary range. Don’t have a problem commuting.
Thanks,
Brad
Look no further than North of you in York County. The best schools in Southern VA and safe.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM

1,805 posts, read 3,541,995 times
Ditto what the Dissenter posted. York County has the best schools in this immediate area.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 AM

What about the cost of living in that area? Where are some good towns or areas that I could afford, to look at?
Thanks again,
Brad

Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Here is the website of the Hampton Roads MLS. I would suggest searching in York County.

Real Estate Information Network, Inc.

The cost of housing is high. Traffic is often awful in my opinion. I know it's not as bad as many other places, but it's still bad during rush hours and sometimes bad in non-rush hours. Advice that is often given is to live on the same side of the water that you work on. I would never want to have to commute on a daily basis through one of the area's tunnels.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM

368 posts, read 882,424 times
I agree with TN Lily about not commuting through the tunnels. Traffic, in general, in Hampton Roads is bad (apparently, the new governor is planning to make this problem a "priority," but, in the meantime, living close to where you work is your best bet). Unless you have considerable equity in your current home (or have a lot in savings) you are going to have to settle for a pretty small home in York County (if you can find one in your price range at all). Hampton and Newport News are a better match for your salary. If you're willing to commute a little farther, you might be able to find something you like in Gloucester or Isle of Wight.

The schools in Newport News, Hampton, Gloucester, and Isle of Wight don't have the same reputation as the schools in York County, Williamsburg, or Poquoson. If you choose to live in Newport News or Hampton, you'll have to be careful about where you choose to live (unless you plan to apply to a magnet school--Woodside in NN is a good one). There are nice neighborhoods and good schools in both cities. When (and if) you decide to relocate here, there are people on CD who would be happy to help you to choose a good area.

Best of luck!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Be aware that the magnet school system in Newport News is not a true magnet. It is a lottery system. My daughter attends Woodside and is happy there for the most part. But it's not all been good. If you have an issue with the Newport News school system, don't expect the time of day from the administrative folks at the main office.

From what I have seen, York County, Williamsburg & Poquoson are all superior to Newport News. And I would put Newport News ahead of Hampton.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM

My oldest would graduating shortly after the move. What opportunities are available in that area? Colleges, jobs, etc....

Old 12-06-2013, 04:44 PM

120 posts, read 181,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noofensmoke View Post
My oldest would graduating shortly after the move. What opportunities are available in that area? Colleges, jobs, etc....
How smart is your oldest? The best school in the area is W&M, but that's more of a liberal arts college. If they're looking at engineering or other sciences-related majors, UVA or VT would be their best bet, but they are not close to this area. ODU is a decent school, but it's your run of the mill university. VCU is about 1.5 hours away, and is a great school for art.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:06 PM

One of the issues that you will run into with your oldest concerns Virginia residency and in-state versus out-of-state tuition. I believe that you need to live here for a year before your child will qualify for in-state tuition.

The local community college is Thomas Nelson. Thomas Nelson Community College | Higher education institution located on the Peninsula region of southeast Virginia offering degree programs and professional training to area residents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area