Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:50 AM

34 posts, read 117,477 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Boston, Massachusetts and growing increasingly weary of the poor attitudes of the residents of this state. I lived here all my life and looking to make a life change. I am a African American female and basicly looking for a change of life. I am 40 years old and feel like I am spiritually dying in this state. I will be relocating without my 14 year old son who is currently going to stay with my mom. I am seeking a safe african american community that is city like. Also a area that has public transportation considering I do not know how to drive. Never had to living in the city of Boston which has lots of transportation options.

How is the weather? Does it get unbearably hot? How cool does it get? Around what range would 1 bedroom apartments go for? Don't want a apartment complex. Do they have apartment houses there? Or reasonable houses to rent?

I will also be finishing up UMASS soon. Studying to obtain a certificate in addictions counseling. Any jobs in this field?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 02:12 PM

341 posts, read 423,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyBlkGold View Post
I currently reside in Boston, Massachusetts and growing increasingly weary of the poor attitudes of the residents of this state. I lived here all my life and looking to make a life change. I am a African American female and basicly looking for a change of life. I am 40 years old and feel like I am spiritually dying in this state. I will be relocating without my 14 year old son who is currently going to stay with my mom. I am seeking a safe african american community that is city like. Also a area that has public transportation considering I do not know how to drive. Never had to living in the city of Boston which has lots of transportation options.

How is the weather? Does it get unbearably hot? How cool does it get? Around what range would 1 bedroom apartments go for? Don't want a apartment complex. Do they have apartment houses there? Or reasonable houses to rent?

I will also be finishing up UMASS soon. Studying to obtain a certificate in addictions counseling. Any jobs in this field?

Thanks
'Hot' and 'Cold' are relative. H.R. is known for having a 'temperate' climate. It gets hot and cold. Frankly, I think 40 degrees is cold, but that might be a nice spring day in North Dakota.

Apartments run the gamut. I would never rent in VA Beach in a complex. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for. Of course, it would be better to be a roommate in a large house apartment, and try to avoid signing a lease. IMHO.

There are no options for transportation in H.R. You'd better have a car and be prepared for gridlock. Yes, there's a bus, but I don't see how anyone could rely on a bus and keep a job, unless that job is 4 miles away at a fast food place.

Sorry to hear you're leaving your son.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Thanks

Well I guess I am going to axe that area. The search continues. I am still not sure where I want to move to yet but I know its time to leave Massachusetts.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
ClassyBlkGold wrote:
Well I guess I am going to axe that area. The search continues. I am still not sure where I want to move to yet but I know its time to leave Massachusetts.
IMO, it doesn't make any sense to axe an area from something you read on a forum. Remember, everything written is just someones opinion, including these words. The best thing you can do for yourself is to visit the places you're interested in, and get a first hand, up close and personal feeling for the place.

best wishes in your search.....Franco

Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Well

Well the problem with that is I do not know how to drive and if there is not adequate transportation in that area it would not fit my needs.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Got it! In plain English...the public transportation in Hampton Roads sucks! Without a car, it would be a tough place to live. Seattle and San Francisco are 2 places I've lived that do have good public transportation.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyBlkGold View Post
Well the problem with that is I do not know how to drive and if there is not adequate transportation in that area it would not fit my needs.
Hampton Roads is a good place to live IMO but i do agree with Redneck. W/O a car it is impossible to live in HR. I would look at large Southern cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Louisville. They most likely have at least decent public transportation.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 AM

48 posts, read 187,439 times
Smile Considering Moving To Virginia Beach

Hi ClassyBlkGold-

Congratulations on your decision to move. It's not an easy decision. I have made my decision as well. I'm moving to Chesapeake in June. By June 21, I will once again be a resident of the HR area. I was born and raised in Suffolk and left for college directly after high school.

I have been living in Philadelphia for the past 25 years. I feel the same way about Philly in the way that you feel about Mass. It is time for me to live some place where I can age in place gracefully. I know that things have changed a great deal in the HR area. But, I'm willing to take that chance.

Grant it, there are good and bad attitude folks everywhere. However, if the folk in HR are like the folks on this forum, how could you go wrong? The folks on this forum have been more than gracious in sharing their knowledge, opinions and experiences. I accept the negative as well as the positive. It enables me to make decisions based on first hand information.

Also, I've done my research. First, nothing is impossible. I have a Pennsylvania license but I do not own a car, yet. Thus, when I move, I will be relying on public transportation as well. I have contacted Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) many times. I've mapquested my trips - market, mall, schools, medical facilities, etc - driving and on public transportation. If you are used to taking the bus, waiting for the transportation is not an issue. I take the
bus in Philly now. And, actually it is an educational experience. That's how I learned my way around the city. And quite frankly, I know how to get to places that native Philadelphians can't begin to know. Cars are great, but, in some ways, they can also be hindering.

As far as employment in counseling, there are a great number of jobs in healthcare in the area. You must have the education, experience and know where to look. You will get mixed opinions on the job market in the HR area from folks employed in the healthcare industry and some not. I have been in healthcare for 25 years. I've worked for hospitals, managed care companies, behavioral health organizations and colleges. A job search for an engineer, waitress or library assistant is not going to be the same job search for a clinician. Search engines are going to be different. Also, you may want to consider teaching. Besides healthcare facilities - inpatient and outpatient, I also have links and websites to colleges and trade schools.

I have a great deal of employment and apartment leads in a spreadsheet if you want it. I am not looking to purchase a home yet. I need to map my course and take 1 step at a time. Employment and stability in that position is the primary step. Before you can invest in something that crucial, an income means is priority.

In regard to your child, I personally would not consider moving too far away that I would not be able to get to them should they need me. Think about money, travel time and travel mode. Being out on the west coast or far south could hinder things for the family. I don't claim to know your situation financially or personally. However, speaking from experience, things - money, life itself, do not always go the way you plan them.

Should you decide that your child is going to eventually move back with you, you want to be able to make that move as smoothly as life and your purse will allow.

I also have two children, one in college and one in elementary school. I have contacted schools in the Chesapeake area and spoken with the principals, other staff and has determined what bus route my 4th grader will be taking.
I will be living in the Greenbrier section of Chesapeake, 10 minutes from the Greenbrier Mall. By the way, I found a YMCA in the same area in which I will obtain a membership for my family.

It's all in how you do your research, including requesting opinions from the natives.

Congratulations on your search for a more acceptable place to live. And, good luck and don't give up. Send me an email msviolar@verizon.net if you care to communicate with me further. In the subject area put "Greetings From City-Data". I get a lot of emails and I do not want to make a mistake and delete yours.

Regards,

Last edited by msviolar; 11-29-2007 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
May I ask why you are not thinking more of Northern VA? There are nice areas up there that provide the kind of city amenities you are seeking. Also, I was just in Orlando again, and they seem to be doing quite a bit of growing, but I am not sure how the schools are there. Is there a reason that you cannot learn to drive? You can do well down here with a few quick lessons.
Good luck

Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
NoVa would definately fit the poster's need for public transportation, it is unfortunately VERY expensive to find housing. NoVa is very diverse too and there is plenty to do.

HR is definitely more affordable (although posters here do not agree) - but comparing to NoVa and Boston there is no question about that.

Public transportation is really the posters main difficulty in HR. I am sure that some areas are better than other -because HR is very spread out. I am wondering if Newport News or Hampton might be a better fit? I always see buses on Jefferson Avenue and Warwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area