Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 PM

76 posts, read 177,036 times

Advertisements

UHgrad Thanks very much for all the great information.
Just for the record we are far from being whatever "NOVA yuppies" are. Just like us, most people up here are just hard working professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 PM

bryan757vb

Thanks very much for the first hand information!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWnova View Post
UHgrad Thanks very much for all the great information.
Just for the record we are far from being whatever "NOVA yuppies" are. Just like us, most people up here are just hard working professionals.
I'm just giving you a hard time, tons of my friends from high school live up in NOVA, few work less than 60hrs a week and have daily commutes less than 30minutes in traffic. It is just fun to tease the folks when they come south... some love the change of pace and others don't. Hard to say what you will think of it.... I hope the move works out for you! It is a nice area down there, especially since that whole Redmill Commons area has been built. And it is close to Sandbridge beach which I think is the nicest beach around here by a long shot.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 872 times
I am a current student at Kellam and I can tell you that the articles and statistics are true; Kellam is the best school in the city. We have the highest graduation rate and the highest average test scores. Also, the teachers are all extremely motivated and challenge the students. I think your child should be fine seeing as everyone is really friendly and there are many opportunities to get involved. If they do not like the school, Virginia Beach offers a great variety of academy programs to appeal to all interests!
PS- Kellam is not really the "hick" school. Although all of the rural areas are zoned for Kellam, it has more of a "wealthy white kid" population. There is little racial diversity as well, we're around 86% white.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 PM

Thank you gjeff, good to hear about Kellam from a current student.

Greatly appreciated!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Okay so we arrived here April 5, 2014 (lived in NOVA 50 + years. Semi-retired now)

Here's my take on VA Beach vs. NOVA. Just a few general thoughts.

- people are much nicer in VB

- slower pace (we love it!)

- not as much traffic as in NOVA

- no comparison with the job opportunities in NOVA

- schools (Middle) big on sports VB, more in academics in NOVA.

- We sure had plenty of bad drivers in NOVA, but I have noticed that drivers in VB like to tailgate also swerve at you in the opposite direction over the double yellow line. Mostly pickup trucks. Guess thats why our car insurance is higher here?

- yes more "country" folks here. Very very diverse population in NOVA.

- miss the many great ethnic food restaurants in NOVA. Few in VB.

- we are very happy so far. Feel blessed that we have the resources to make the move. Hate to admit it, but we don't miss NOVA at all.

Last edited by JWnova; 05-30-2014 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: spell check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area