Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:15 AM

56 posts, read 68,802 times

Advertisements

Almost there. The sale of my home has hit snags so trying to work that out a bit but very nearly should be in vvain the next few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Yes vab by the oceanfront. Still trying to get a feel of the areas b4 I arrive there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Norfolk avenue where? Virginia Beach by the oceanfront? If that is the case then yes, it does get congested down there since that is a major alternate route to the beach. I've got a buddy that lives in the apartments down there and he says it isn't to bad though except on the weekends in the summer or if there are major events at the beach like fireworks or something. If you are talking about Norfolk Ave in Ocean View (Norfolk) then I am not sure.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:07 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808subaru View Post
Yes vab by the oceanfront. Still trying to get a feel of the areas b4 I arrive there.
Yeah you gotta deal with the resort area nonsense down there. Lots to do but petty theft, noise, parking, and traffic can be an issue.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 PM

Update- We made it!! Drove nearly 3000 miles from cali! This week has been busy with safety inspections, registering and titling our cars. Household goods still not here yet. Staying in the penninsula area right now, and really enjoy this area. I suppose the job hunt for my wife will begin soon, and we are just driving around getting used to the area and familiarizing ourselves with upper penninsula, vab and evrything inbetween. Just wanted to say were glad to be here!!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:36 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,514,671 times
Glad you made it safely!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Long story, but I'm going to try to cut it short. The cost of living in Hawaii has finally forced us to an area that we can enjoy more quality time to spend with our 2 y/o, and less work/travel/commute time. Also, I will be closer to my family, as my family still lives (spread across) in VA.
I have read many threads on here, but have a few unanswered ones.

1. -Curious as to why have so many filipinos chosen to live in the H.R. area?
This actually works to help with my wife acclimate, should she become homesick (she's pinay or a filipina).

2.-Schools- are the good ones that much better than the bad?
I know it may sound silly, but I i do realize that Va have a really good educational system. However in Hawaii, many people opt to send their kids to private school, as some feel is the only option to poor public schooling statewide. We would focus more of our search in the VA. Beach, Chesapeake area.

3. - this leads to my 3rd Question- Chesapeake or Va. Beach
I like how much more home it seems Chesapeake can buy, however I feel VA. Beach has better school systems. We would like to be waterfront, and away from the hustle and bustle of traffic and commute times, but if possible close to amenities of parks, restaurants, and things to do.

Thanks in advance for your replies

BTW I'm Asian as well (but not Filipino)
Virginia Beach. More of a city than Chesapeake. More metropolitan. Chesapeake does have urban areas, if you count South Norfolk, the initial "core" of the city but outside of that Chesapeake simply does not offer the experience than Virginia Beach does.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,457 times
Quote:
Update- We made it!! Drove nearly 3000 miles from cali! This week has been busy with safety inspections, registering and titling our cars. Household goods still not here yet. Staying in the penninsula area right now, and really enjoy this area. I suppose the job hunt for my wife will begin soon, and we are just driving around getting used to the area and familiarizing ourselves with upper penninsula, vab and evrything inbetween. Just wanted to say were glad to be here!!
Glad you made it and welcome to Virginia!

Don't be put off over the traffic problems right now. Holiday traffic is usually very congested. They tell me this holiday is the highest traffic volume and the fact that it's on a weekend makes it worse. There have been multiple traffic accidents on the interstate today, yesterday and the day before that resulted in long backups. It will improve - honest.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks lily!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,218 times
Welcome to Southeastern VA....it will continue to reveal itself in interesting vignettes as time goes by. A truly unique place to call home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area