Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM

998 posts, read 1,238,040 times

Advertisements

wow....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 05:21 PM

21 posts, read 69,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
I hate it here its boring the food is mostly all seafood and everyone's middle class. The people drive really slow and the red lights are too long! No one knows who the singer Beck is here! Everybody here likes country music! Im from Queens NY and my parents joined the trend of New Yorkers Moving to Va Beach Va We moved to Virginia Beach VA on July 1 2012. I really want to move back to New York or move to Los Angeles CA its so much more fun over there! Va Beach blvd is mostly just strip malls! The music scene is terrible here!
move...goodbye!

Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,713,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun85 View Post
I agree, but I dont live in Virginia Beach. I live in Newport News. Why anyone would want to live in such a cultureless place with bad traffic, crappy transportation system, high unemployment, high cost of living in conjunction with low hourly wages, a million restaurants that serve basically the same thing, a music scene thats not worth anybodys time, a town that is a cross between a big city and a small town but leaves out all the desirable aspects of both, idiot drivers everywhere, places being closed during operating hours, is all beyond me. If any of the aforementioned characteristics is what you're looking for in a place, then Newport News is the town for you. If not, then stay WAY away from it. I for one am moving back to Texas as soon as I can, because this place is just not for me, but with the fact that its hard to find work here that is full time thanks to Obamas awesome Obamacare plan (if you dont know what I mean, then do research how this plan impacts bussinesses), that will be a struggle in and of itself, but one that may be worth it if I can just escape this stain on America.
Is this a rant about how Newport News sucks or is this a pro-Republican/anti-Democrat rant? I can't really tell.

My degree is in finance and I have never had a tough time finding long-term, full time employment in Hampton Roads. Rather, every week or two, a company is reaching out to me asking that I apply for an open position. I would assume that if someone is working a low-skill, low-wage job then they would be impacted in Texas just as much as here.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 PM

35 posts, read 44,672 times
I've lived near DC and Baltimore for most of my life and currently live in Chapel Hill, NC. If given the choice between these and VA Beach I'd pick the latter in a heartbeat. The culture and atmosphere is just lovely. Maybe it's just my childhood summer nostalgia, but VA beach just has a certain personality about it that I adore. It's got a downtown city feel which I love but not as big as DC/Bmore and not as tiny as Franklin St. The NC beaches down here are gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but they're more secluded and none of them have the huge, gorgeous boardwalks and entertainment VA Beach does. I guess it's all about preference

Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,161,073 times
Yet OP is clearly PROUD to state her location as the hometown of Pharrell. What a joke.

Last edited by Old Town FFX; 11-03-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 AM

998 posts, read 1,238,040 times
Indeed!

Old 11-04-2014, 06:01 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,388,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpeay View Post
I've lived near DC and Baltimore for most of my life and currently live in Chapel Hill, NC. If given the choice between these and VA Beach I'd pick the latter in a heartbeat. The culture and atmosphere is just lovely. Maybe it's just my childhood summer nostalgia, but VA beach just has a certain personality about it that I adore. It's got a downtown city feel which I love but not as big as DC/Bmore and not as tiny as Franklin St. The NC beaches down here are gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but they're more secluded and none of them have the huge, gorgeous boardwalks and entertainment VA Beach does. I guess it's all about preference
Downtown Virginia Beach is small for a city its size. But its a nice start.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:14 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,713,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Yet OP is clearly PROUD to state her location as the hometown of Pharrell. What a joke.
And what Pharrell has to say about Virginia Beach is very positive.

VIDEO: Pharrell shares fond memories at Princess Anne High School | WTKR.com

Old 11-04-2014, 02:54 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,161,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
And what Pharrell has to say about Virginia Beach is very positive.

VIDEO: Pharrell shares fond memories at Princess Anne High School | WTKR.com
I went to PA, 1 year behind him. It was great to see him grow as a musician, but he has always been a really down to earth, likeable guy.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:54 PM

178 posts, read 280,182 times
Ever since living here I have had unfortunate events where I discover this song and I get sick and throw up if I don't listen to the song! Also ever since living here when it rains the low pressure system affects me more than living in NYC! I get depressed and I feel different when it rains here! Never happened to me when living in NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area