U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,772 times

Advertisements

First off, I have been in South Florida all of my life. I am 31 years old and self employed in the metal recycing business, IT Admin, Appliance Technician also. My brother lives up there and has been telling me nothing but great things about the area. I have been on craigslist looking at prices for living and it looks pretty reasonable. So here are my ?s that maybe some of you fellow forum visitors can maybe answer for me before I decide to make this move.

1. is it anything like florida?

2. whats the gas price look like?

3. how are people and their attitudes up there? down here people are just ignorant and rude

4. are there a ton of spanish speaking residents? i dont speak spanish

5. how is the law enforcement? down here they are all about catching a quick fish (florida sucks)

6. is it a good area to raise a child thats less than 10 years old?

7. how is the crime rate?

8. whats the job scene look like? are there a lot of jobs or a lot of unemployment?

9. how is the living stability?

10. is this really something i should look into and jump at?

Please let me know and feel free to leave any comments or suggestions.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,819,925 times
I'll tackle no. 6. If you are a good parent, this is a good area to raise a child. If your child will be in the public school system, I would not put Hampton or Newport News at the top of the list. On the Peninsula, York County is considered the best public school system by many folks. From what I've read here, if you're on the other side of the water, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are the better public school options.

Re no. 7, crime varies by neighborhood within each city/county here. Some areas are bad, some are very safe.

Re no. 8, there are threads on this forum about the job market. I do not think it is good. But the answer for you personally depends on whether you have the skills and experience that the better paying employers here are looking for.
Good luck!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 AM

368 posts, read 928,682 times
Just some clarification: Are you asking specifically about Hampton, VA (one city) or Hampton Roads, VA (seven cities)? Hampton Roads is a larger region that includes Hampton, VA (does that make sense?). Sometimes people ask about Hampton when they really mean Hampton Roads. I think it would help everyone (me included!) if we knew for sure which you were asking about.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 AM

6,212 posts, read 668,296 times
You don't have to worry about the Spanish speakning. The official language of Tidewater (Hampton Roads) is English not Spanish! There are far fewer hispanic people in Hampton Roads.

1. No, only being on the Atlantic Ocean is similar.
2. I believe gas prices are moderate, in the middle of the country.
3. Most all people are cool, friendly ,and there are more local people than south florida for sure!
4. See above
5. Well, it is also pro law enforcement, Virginia is a little like a police state, but the place and people make it cool nonetheless.
6. yes, probably the 5th best schools in the country
7. depends where you live, Hampton roads is a big area, Virginia Beach , Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Portsmouth
Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have some of the lowest crime rates for cities their size in the U.S.
8. I have not lived there for years, but grew up there, so you can ask the current residents, there are many shipyards, large ports and many jobs associated with them, and many government jobs of course (IT, contractor jobs).
9. The governments jobs are very secure.
10. Yes, I have a cousin and best friend that live in Florida and I don't like it at all. Nobody is from Florida there, in the southern part, nobody speaks english, and it is too hot in the summer. Its a good move.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 PM

25,873 posts, read 38,047,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalVizion View Post
First off, I have been in South Florida all of my life. I am 31 years old and self employed in the metal recycing business, IT Admin, Appliance Technician also. My brother lives up there and has been telling me nothing but great things about the area. I have been on craigslist looking at prices for living and it looks pretty reasonable. So here are my ?s that maybe some of you fellow forum visitors can maybe answer for me before I decide to make this move.

1. is it anything like florida?

2. whats the gas price look like?

3. how are people and their attitudes up there? down here people are just ignorant and rude

4. are there a ton of spanish speaking residents? i dont speak spanish

5. how is the law enforcement? down here they are all about catching a quick fish (florida sucks)

6. is it a good area to raise a child thats less than 10 years old?

7. how is the crime rate?

8. whats the job scene look like? are there a lot of jobs or a lot of unemployment?

9. how is the living stability?

10. is this really something i should look into and jump at?

Please let me know and feel free to leave any comments or suggestions.

Thanks
Note: since there is no specification I'll speak for Hampton (the city).

1. Yes, economically low wages with high housing prices.
2. Gas is pretty cheap when compared to the rest of the US.
3. Hampton is pretty laid lack.
4. Nope.
5. VA cops are hard on speeders.
6. Yes, however I would not recommend Hampton City schools unless you absolutely have to.
7. Slightly higher than average inside the city limits.
8. Not a lot of quality jobs.
9. So stable it is boring.
10. I'd seriously look at it, but I would not move to Hampton proper, even though it is my hometown. Maybe one of the surrounding cities.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 PM

770 posts, read 1,050,094 times
Stay in Boca, unless you go to VA Beach. There school system is very good. QOL is much higher than Hampton, and much much less crime.

That said, good luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:16 PM

6,287 posts, read 9,581,372 times
I wouldn't move to Hampton. The crime over there seems to be on the rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area