Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 23,905 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know about the Hilton area in Newport News? Is it a nice area, is it safe? Any info about the area that would be helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM

368 posts, read 996,015 times
I've known people who've lived in Hilton Village and really liked it. The neighborhood, itself, is very nice--it's the surrounding area you might not like. I think Hilton, itself, is pretty safe (property crime vs. violent crime, I would expect--and not much of it). But, in general, if safety is your main priority, I would recommend you stay north of Rte. 17 (J. Clyde Morris Blvd./Avenue of the Arts).

Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll be coming from Chicago, as far as crime is concerned I can't imagine it would be worse than Chicago. Is there lots of things to do there? Peninsula Town Center looks interesting.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Yeah, the thing is, the southeastern part of Newport News is really pretty terrible, and, the farther south you get, the worse the crime gets. Hilton is heading south, but it's still really far from the worst part of Newport News. Personally, I would live there.

My family lives in midtown Newport News, but, really, most of the stuff we do revolves around the kids, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about fun stuff (unless, of course, you're into bounce houses). There's a lot to do in Hampton Roads, at large, and, of course, with all the water in the area, things get better as the weather improves.

Peninsula Town Center is nice and continues to get better. There are plans to add a lot to it in the next few years. On the whole, I'd say Newport News is on the upswing with the midtown area the hub of the revitalization. From what I've read, there are also plans to build a big development right across from Hilton Village, so I'm thinking the powers that be are trying to include that area in their vision, as well. The southeast, from what I can tell, they've pretty much let go. Honestly, I don't even like to drive down there.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the info I appreciate it!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:16 AM

I'm sorry, GT-1. When you said Peninsula Town Center, I was thinking City Center in Newport News. I've never actually been to PTC, but here's a link to City Center:

City Center at Oyster Point in Newport News, Virginia

Old 02-12-2014, 12:54 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
I think it would be a good option, unless you have school age kids. Lots of title one schools in that area. However, a lot of good catholic and lay schools in the area. NN is a great town.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM

15 posts, read 30,287 times
Default Hilton Village

Hilton Village is a safe, well established, well kept area with a lot of trees. There are homes of different price range from really expensive on the James River to less expensive within a 10-minute walk. Famous 99 Street restaurant, YMCA close by, public elementary school, zoned for Hines Middle School and Warwick High School with IB program and a good selection of AP classes.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Just stay away from everything on the other side of Mercury, heading away from J. Clyde Morris Blvd. The numbered streets are where it gets bad, closer to downtown.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:41 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
Hines is not considered to be a good middle school. Hilton Village parents try to get their children into Booker T. Washington Middle School which is a small magnet school in the public school system. Parents have described it as being like a private school. It is a marine science magnet and a pre-advanced placement magnet.

Booker T. Washington Middle School, Newport News, Virginia

From what I have seen & heard, Warwick H.S. is not a good school unless your child is in the I.B. program. Many parents in the Hilton Village area send their children to Woodside High School or one of the other magnet schools. Woodside is the fine arts magnet program in NN.

It is a misnomer to call NN's special schools magnet programs as entry is based on a lottery system. We are zoned for Warwick and I would not send my child there. Fortunately, she got into the Woodside.

I live in between Hilton Village and CNU. My husband works in Hilton Village. There have been many thefts and B&Es since we've been here (which is less than 2 years). Hilton Village has a lot of charm and you don't have to spend a fortune to get a house in this area (but you can if you want to!), but I don't know that I would buy in this area.

Good luck to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area