U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,274 times

Advertisements

I would DESPERATELY like info from parents with kids in the Poquoson school district. I am looking to possibly buy a home in Poquoson and have a first grader and another that will attend kindergarten in the next 1.5 years. We currently olive in York County and I LOVE the school. However we are renting since moving here last year. I can't find a house that fits our needs in York County and the one I have found is in Poquoson. I hear that Poquoson is a "strange" city. But I'm wondering what exactly does that mean? I have heard it SO many times as well as read it online in various places as well. The schools seem to have good ratings, however, have bad reviews from parents.

So, after all that babbling, I want to hear from current parents with kids in the Poquoson schools. I've read that bullying is very present, but these days, I'm wondering if there are any schools where there is no bullying.

Thanks so much for any advice/info!!
Kristin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,437,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac1 View Post
I would DESPERATELY like info from parents with kids in the Poquoson school district. I am looking to possibly buy a home in Poquoson and have a first grader and another that will attend kindergarten in the next 1.5 years. We currently olive in York County and I LOVE the school. However we are renting since moving here last year. I can't find a house that fits our needs in York County and the one I have found is in Poquoson. I hear that Poquoson is a "strange" city. But I'm wondering what exactly does that mean? I have heard it SO many times as well as read it online in various places as well. The schools seem to have good ratings, however, have bad reviews from parents.

So, after all that babbling, I want to hear from current parents with kids in the Poquoson schools. I've read that bullying is very present, but these days, I'm wondering if there are any schools where there is no bullying.

Thanks so much for any advice/info!!
Kristin
Poquoson is a world of its own. It is safe, it is tight knit, and it is very very white (about 97%). I lived there for a year, it was not for me but some people do love it. Schools are good, lots of NASA folks live there as well. Downsides are that it is far from everything, it floods a lot(find out what your insurance premiums will be), and it is a bit territorial (outsiders are called "move ins" meaning you are not from there you just moved there).

I can't help you personally with the schools although I have friends that both graduated from there (none still live there) and coworkers that have kids there (seem to like it well enough). it really depends what you are looking for but most are not ambivalent towards Poquoson... they either love it or hate it. I'd be real shocked if you get any long time residents on this board but good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area