U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,452 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Why would Virginia Beach be considered south, when it's in relatively close proximity (less than 5 hours) to Northern places like D.C. or Philly or New York? And most southern places are 6 hours + away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 PM
 
1,708 posts, read 5,888,633 times
Reputation: 752
Of course VB is in the south. Most places in Virginia are southern though northern Virginia has lost a lot of southern influences due to it's location and proximity to the North. Transplants have taken over and watered down the southern culture to a minimum. In contrast, VB, though it has lots of transplants, still has southern qualities. You can get sweet tea in most restaurants in VB. As a fellow southerner, to me personally, VB feels a lot less southern than other places but to a northerner it may feel a lot southern. I have always said Virginia is the gateway to the North though it's feet in the south. What I find interesting though is a city such as Richmond feels more southern to me though it's north of Hampton Roads. It could have something to do with the architecture or the fact that Hampton Roads (especially with the military) has had transplants for many, many years. Many people who live in Virginia say it's the south though less than 50% consider themselves to be southerners. If I find a link I will post it.

Last edited by citydweller; 02-19-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM
ZZP
 
Location: Durham, NC
28 posts, read 33,620 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Of course VB is in the south. Most places in Virginia are southern though northern Virginia has lost a lot of southern influences due to it's location and proximity to the North. Transplants have taken over and watered down the southern culture to a minimum. In contrast, VB, though it has lots of transplants, still has southern qualities. You can get sweet tea in most restaurants in VB. As a fellow southerner, to me personally, VB feels a lot less southern than other places but to a northerner it may feel a lot southern. I have always said Virginia is the gateway to the North though it's feet in the south. What I find interesting though is a city such as Richmond feels more southern to me though it's north of Hampton Roads. It could have something to do with the architecture or the fact that Hampton Roads (especially with the military) has had transplants for many, many years. Many people who live in Virginia say it's the south though less than 50% consider themselves to be southerners. If I find a link I will post it.
Richmond was the second capital of the Confederacy, after all..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
203 posts, read 423,165 times
Reputation: 132
South of the Mason Dixon line!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,169,887 times
Reputation: 627
Virginia Beach and Virginia is REALLY the personification of what is called the Mid-Atlantic. Other states may have jumped the gun and be better known for promoting themselves under that regional terminology but Virginia has been advertising itself as that for some time now. It "southern" historically. Now what actually IS "southern" is the real problem with most peoples ability to classify us. Some people continuously think "southern" means rural, country, slow and several other ACCEPTED stereotypes. Generally Virginia doesn't have a northern or southern culture it has an American culture as it is the birthplace of America. All OTHER locales directions should be determined from point of view. If one is New York/NE centric then we are the south...if one is from the LA/AL/MS then they don't see this place as the south. I am VA- centric...this is the birthplace of the nation...this is the mother of states...and this is the Mid-Atlantic. Transplants don't really change things around here as far as altering culture, they just generally add on to the local economy...people still talk the same and eat the same things keep the same believes etc. Some peoples good ole boy rascist bigoted discriminatory practices are the only things transplants could be a threat to helping to change...sometimes I think that's why some like to hoot and holler about being proud to be "southern" while others don't identify with that mess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
 
5,911 posts, read 8,795,813 times
Reputation: 6477
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Of course VB is in the south. Most places in Virginia are southern though northern Virginia has lost a lot of southern influences due to it's location and proximity to the North. Transplants have taken over and watered down the southern culture to a minimum. In contrast, VB, though it has lots of transplants, still has southern qualities. You can get sweet tea in most restaurants in VB. As a fellow southerner, to me personally, VB feels a lot less southern than other places but to a northerner it may feel a lot southern. I have always said Virginia is the gateway to the North though it's feet in the south. What I find interesting though is a city such as Richmond feels more southern to me though it's north of Hampton Roads. It could have something to do with the architecture or the fact that Hampton Roads (especially with the military) has had transplants for many, many years. Many people who live in Virginia say it's the south though less than 50% consider themselves to be southerners. If I find a link I will post it.
I was in shock my first time out west when people looked at me like I as a crazy person asking for sweet tea, and no sugar packets are not the same!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,748 posts, read 28,310,184 times
Reputation: 12770
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupymotherlik View Post
Why would Virginia Beach be considered south, when it's in relatively close proximity (less than 5 hours) to Northern places like D.C. or Philly or New York? And most southern places are 6 hours + away.
Why would Philadelphia be considered the North when it's in relatively close proximity (less than four hours) to southern places like Richmond?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Coastal South Carolina
6,094 posts, read 266,209 times
Reputation: 4587
Of course Va. Beach is the south. All of Tidewater (I still call it Tidewater, grew up there) and half of Virginia is the south. I live in a very southern city now, and can tell you, all of southern Virginia (Tidewater) and western Va. (Roanoke) as well as Richmond (head of Confederacy). Northern Va. (Fairfax) is not the south. All the rest of Va. is southern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 PM
 
354 posts, read 513,610 times
Reputation: 126
if its anywhere below The mason-dixon line its southern which is not a bad thing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,169,887 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Of course Va. Beach is the south. All of Tidewater (I still call it Tidewater, grew up there) and half of Virginia is the south. I live in a very southern city now, and can tell you, all of southern Virginia (Tidewater) and western Va. (Roanoke) as well as Richmond (head of Confederacy). Northern Va. (Fairfax) is not the south. All the rest of Va. is southern.
Oh Really? And how can HALF of the state be in the south and the other half not? It is ALL the south and the Mid-Atlantic...spare me about the transplants, immigrants, and office parks of northern Virginia making it "less southern" and whatnot. I grew up here too and through education we find out "Tidewater" is an insufficient designation as it extends to the piedmont and all the way up to "Northern Virginia" and even Maryland. The term Hampton Roads applies moreso to our specific region.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top