Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times

Advertisements

No TN Lily... that person IS ranting ...and that's all that person from Jersey generally does. I have been gone for a year and a half come back and this person is still around HR? Why doesnt this person worry about Jersey or go back to raggedy arse Jersey already? This person has been ranting for years about ish they aren't going to finance or bring into this area. This person generally does not fit this area in the first place.

Every area has issues and corrupt politicians (who doesn't) ESPECIALLY JERSEY. Non stop btchng without doing anything changes nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 PM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
Rants are like ears, we all have them and none are exactly alike. Yes 757, this person has been ragging on HR for a long time and the pop psychology name calling is becoming more acutely rude as time goes by....how interesting, the person in question is from the Garden State...

Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM

368 posts, read 996,015 times
Coconut1 is a girl??????? How did I miss that? I totally thought it was a guy.

In any event, some of her (?) points are valid, and I see nothing wrong with her posts.

Not cool to gang up on one of our own.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM

He/She is rude and and demeaning to the people that live here. What points are valid?

I just don't understand that if you are obviously miserable in your geographic/socio-economic location why you do not strive for your own personal nirvana and call it a day, i.e. move on to greener grass elsewhere. What say you OP/Coconut 1? Oh, and what difference does it make whether the person posting is male or female, Venus VS Mars and all that?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM

Coconut1 makes good points from time to time. Just because you don't always appreciate them doesn't make them any less valid.

It matters to me whether she's a man or a woman because, over time, you develop a relationship (of sorts) with people on these forums, and it's interesting to know who you're dealing with. I find it funny that she's female (if she is)--she's just always struck me as a guy.

Either way, she's kind of funny sometimes, and, to the best of my recollection, she's never said anything offensive to me. She's okay in my book.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 AM

In my book it's not okay to demean and belittle but thats all relative.

I know what you mean by getting to "know" someone on these forums, very distinct personalities indeed.
I have enjoyed your posts in the past and am pleased to call you a neighbor.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
My apologies to Coconut1 if I called the poster a she when I should have said he.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
Coconut1 makes good points from time to time.
Definitely true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart
Either way, she's kind of funny sometimes, and, to the best of my recollection, she's never said anything offensive to me. She's okay in my book.
True to an extent but I could really do without the condescension, there are ways to make a point without having the belittle people and there are ways to advocate your vision for a place without without trying to tear others down.

con·de·scen·sion

noun: condescension; plural noun: condescensions
1. an attitude of patronizing superiority; disdain.
"a tone of condescension"

For example, from this very thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1
Best to move on before you waste your life away like the rest of the people here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1
The truth is that it will never happen. People in Hampton Roads are happy with their lifestyle, and when they do get annoyed about something, it's quickly forgot as they settle in to watch another episode of Hillbilly Handfishin.
Honestly, if you don't like the place or the vibe that's fine. If you think the culture here is boring or mediocre, thats fine... it probably is in a lot of ways. But this kind of sarcastic, northeastern, condescending, look down at folks who don't see the world the way I do is one of the things I hated about living in Massachusetts and one of the things I dislike about a lot of the comments on this forum. It is not particularly clever or creative, in fact it is probably the easiest and least productive way to discuss something. It is also (IMO) a great example of what is wrong with discourse today it that it seeks to diminish the other people involved rather than discuss the value (or lack of) in an idea. And the fact that he/she is from New Jersey is just icing on the cake. I've spent most of my life listening to transplants that moved down here for cheaper housing, warmer winters, and lower taxes but now want to tell us how much better things were up north... it just gets old.

You really don't need the "waste your life away like the rest of the people here" bull****. Seriously, it isn't clever, it isn't creative, it isn't productive, and it doesn't make your target audience want to consider your position... it just makes you look like an a--hole and it makes whoever you are speaking with want to dismiss what you say because your condescending and confrontational tone gets them defensive. So I'm with Poquoson7 on this one, sure Coconut makes some valid points and actually has a lot of good posts but the tone has gotten old and it is the same tune for years already...

Old 02-25-2014, 05:55 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
People have legitimate reasons for hating HR. I am peace with it. But I think it is a mistake to hold 21st century metropolis, still evolving, still maturing, to 20th century standards. I'm not from Virginia, but I am optimistic.

HR is not going to be another NY or LA. That era has passed. I hate when Southern metros are held to Northern standards. What distresses people, Northeners in particular, is that Southern metros do not overwhelm. There is no shock and awe. They are typically an aggregation of smaller cities because they did not develop in the same way.

But again, that era is over. So people need to forget about urban blight, grit, 50 story buildings and that old paradigm. Those are all interesting things, but they aren't necessary and they aren't deal breakers. Well, they shouldn't be.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
I have enjoyed your posts in the past and am pleased to call you a neighbor.

Well, thank you! I can say the same about you. You're a nice addition to the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area