U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,707,058 times
Reputation: 3723

Advertisements

Despite all of the rhetoric about huge developments the real story seems to be with the real estate projects going on around the area. Two more apartment complexes in downtown Norfolk (one in Fort Norfolk), and of course that other one on Monticello and the one headed out towards the WalMart on Tidewater. Don't forget the new one in Chesapeake on Military headed out towards Janaf.

Those looking for Manhattanization will be disappointed; no San Francisco or Miami building binges here but you might get Queens or Staten Island within the next 10 to 15 years, or over time. Seems like all of these underdeveloped lots are getting mid-rise projects.

No one seems to be paying attention this because they're looking for the next multiplex or amphitheater, but I feel this is equally important, assuming that people actually stay in these apartments (or have the option to buy). Perhaps they can create their own communities for a change and bring about some continuity to the neighborhoods in this region.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,170,702 times
Reputation: 627
What apartments are being built in Fort Norfolk? I heard that those apts. on TW Dr. are suppose to be for a retirement community. There is also a nice apt. bldg.. being built on the corner Boush & Bute St. It is mostly brick which is how I think all the other little complexes Downtown should've been built...probably up a lot higher too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,707,058 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
What apartments are being built in Fort Norfolk? I heard that those apts. on TW Dr. are suppose to be for a retirement community. There is also a nice apt. bldg.. being built on the corner Boush & Bute St. It is mostly brick which is how I think all the other little complexes Downtown should've been built...probably up a lot higher too.
Two more Norfolk apartment projects in the works | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

The old Krisp-Pak building.

Retirement communities always have the worst locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,170,702 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Two more Norfolk apartment projects in the works | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

The old Krisp-Pak building.

Retirement communities always have the worst locations.
You would think that the Trader building would have occupants in it yet the whole time its was just sitting there empty? That's crazy. OH yeah the Riverview lofts, I remember now. I was hoping you weren't talking about that building beside Peta, it looks like an old garage... that building should be torn down it is remarkably hideous.

What do you think about the Wainright project? I don't think they should waste money on renovation. I think that it should torn down along with the bank on Boush & Freemason to make way for a Granby Tower-like development with a bank incorporated on the corner of BSH & FRMSN and ground level shops/restaurants all around the other sides.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,707,058 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
You would think that the Trader building would have occupants in it yet the whole time its was just sitting there empty? That's crazy. OH yeah the Riverview lofts, I remember now. I was hoping you weren't talking about that building beside Peta, it looks like an old garage... that building should be torn down it is remarkably hideous.

What do you think about the Wainright project? I don't think they should waste money on renovation. I think that it should torn down along with the bank on Boush & Freemason to make way for a Granby Tower-like development with a bank incorporated on the corner of BSH & FRMSN and ground level shops/restaurants all around the other sides.
Actually I was confused I thought it was that old building beside Peta, from the picture.

Honestly, I am starting to question just how much money the city has to throw at these public-private partnerships, or, how much money the developers want to take out of their pocket. I mean, I would love a 30 story or more development but Norfolk must not have the money (or isn't willing to part with it). So I can understand a renovation in this current economic climate.

Downtown needs a grocery store. Something multilevel, like you might see in Brooklyn or DC. Something real, not something hidden on the ground floor like the last grocery store downtown was. Norfolk should have the finest; instead it is loosing out to Virginia Beach which is building all of these exotic vegan and/or all natural/organic grocery stores out in Hilltop. The schools downtown should be replaced with multi-use developments, and built vertically, to at least give the appearance of some real continuity. I love TCC, but I am referring to the elementary schools down there. Norfolk is great for singles that do not want kids, but downtown is not friendly to families.

I think the best we can hope for these days is a continuation of the mid-rise type of development going on in Ghent, which I can live with I have lived in other cities with skyscrapers it really isn't that big of a deal to me, not a deal-breaker if I never see another one in Norfolk. The days of competing with Atlanta or Charlotte have passed. Most people are just waiting for Town Center to outgrow downtown Norfolk, and it looks as though that may eventually happen; we all know that Virginia Beach has the land, now it is just a matter of if they have the will to go forward with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,170,702 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Actually I was confused I thought it was that old building beside Peta, from the picture.

Honestly, I am starting to question just how much money the city has to throw at these public-private partnerships, or, how much money the developers want to take out of their pocket. I mean, I would love a 30 story or more development but Norfolk must not have the money (or isn't willing to part with it). So I can understand a renovation in this current economic climate.

Downtown needs a grocery store. Something multilevel, like you might see in Brooklyn or DC. Something real, not something hidden on the ground floor like the last grocery store downtown was. Norfolk should have the finest; instead it is loosing out to Virginia Beach which is building all of these exotic vegan and/or all natural/organic grocery stores out in Hilltop. The schools downtown should be replaced with multi-use developments, and built vertically, to at least give the appearance of some real continuity. I love TCC, but I am referring to the elementary schools down there. Norfolk is great for singles that do not want kids, but downtown is not friendly to families.

I think the best we can hope for these days is a continuation of the mid-rise type of development going on in Ghent, which I can live with I have lived in other cities with skyscrapers it really isn't that big of a deal to me, not a deal-breaker if I never see another one in Norfolk. The days of competing with Atlanta or Charlotte have passed. Most people are just waiting for Town Center to outgrow downtown Norfolk, and it looks as though that may eventually happen; we all know that Virginia Beach has the land, now it is just a matter of if they have the will to go forward with it.
Nah, that isn't the building by Peta its way down there by Fort Norfolk Plaza. Its a nice project and there is more space back there to build too.

I think that if all these 3-4 story mid-rises are in such high demand then a tower could be developed as to not waste space building 3-4 story mid-rises all over the place. But like you said there might not be many confident investors in that, atleast not right now. Even still I think the Wainright location would be a proper place for a tower since its right around the corner from the proposed Granby Tower site. Fraim said Norfolk received AA+ rating but I guess it would be wise to try and entice someone after Waterside live and the boxy Hilton are up and running.

I think that a lot of the residents "Downtown" didn't want to be around a lot of the homeless folks wandering around the area where that last grocery store was. The Union Mission was a block away and there was also a bus stop right there at the store so you know "certain folks" were uncomfortable around "others". If they finish renovating the Union Mission and the Trader Bldg. then the previous location for that Farm Fresh could be revisited and would be a success . Sometimes the "leaders" and developers can be so backwards and lack common sense...then again it could just be greed and egoism that they are blinded by. I don't really see Norfolk as loosing out to Hilltop as it is -way out of the way- to most... but as far as the vegan scene Im sure 21st and that area over there has something comparable. I am not sure which elementary school you are talking about located in "Downtown". I was thrown off to see school buses dropping teenagers off on Granby St....its weird because most peoples Downtowns are business districts and really shouldn't have to be "family friendly" I don't think. You shouldnt be looking for the Larchmont lifestyle Downtown and vice versa. Norfolk is good all around...you just have to find the neighborhood that fits you...which is peoples real problem...they wanna live -on-the scene- but they want it to be quiet...they want to have all this land, farm animals, and live like theyre on a plantation but they want adequate public transportation and to look at skylines and walk and jog and bike everywhere...some people just wont be satisfied and need to go wherever theyre going. Norfolk is good all around but could be better.

That's funny I never really looked at Norfolk as competing with ATL or Charlotte (EVER). Theyve had their run and Norfolk/757/HR will have ours. I never looked at it as some sort of race with them we never looked up to them. I like Atlanta though. We will do our own thing with our own unique topography. As far as Town Center and all that I am not worried about that...Norfolk has land over in Fort Nolfolk and Downtown... and makes for a compact lived in walkable city vibe...we just need the tall buildings that's all. Town Center is still kinda manufactured and more than likely will run linear along the Blvd. kinda like stuff on Peachtree...that is if it plans to expand as a real Downtown. Norfolk still has that whole Military Circle corridor that can be turned into Midtown alongside the Blvd. just like Town Center. Norfolk has a lot of things it can do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 8,292,357 times
Reputation: 2010
The Union Mission closed Downtown around 2009, and the Market closed in 2011. There was no homeless problem that kept people away. A) Farm Fresh is too expensive for this area, and B) There isn't enough demand for a market that size Downtown.

Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and the rest of Hampton Roads will never become a truly great urban area. There's absolutely nothing that draws people here from other areas (the military bringing people in does not count.) We have no big industry.

Virginia Beach likes to pretend they're a tourism mecca, but you'd be hard pressed to find more than 5 actual resorts in the so call "Resort City."

Businesses outside the military have no reason to come to Hampton Roads. We're off the beaten path, have a terrible transportation infrastructure, have terrible airports, the cost of doing business is too high, and salaries do not match the cost of living.

Corruption within each city is rampant, and not enough people care to do something about it.

Things stay status quo, and for the vast majority of people here, that's fine. They're thrilled to death when a new Wal-Mart opens, like living in their vinyl box with 2.5 kids, and would rather drive their SUV than even think about mass transit.

I used to think that if we just got a good group of people together, we could really make an impact on Hampton Roads. Change it for the better, make it some place people wanted to go. The truth is that it will never happen. People in Hampton Roads are happy with their lifestyle, and when they do get annoyed about something, it's quickly forgot as they settle in to watch another episode of Hillbilly Handfishin.

There are no movers and shakers here, goofy. I think you long for more from Hampton Roads, but unfortunately you'll never find it. Best to move on before you waste your life away like the rest of the people here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,170,702 times
Reputation: 627
I see HR still attracts miscreants even on message boards...I wish we could banish them all back to New Jerusalem...I mean that poster child for paradise known as Jersey.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 AM
 
998 posts, read 982,692 times
Reputation: 1090
OMG why don't you move on Coconut....and don't lump all 1.7 million of us under your ridiculous ranting. I have never encountered someone so bitter, uninspiring and hostile. What do you think you're accomplishing! Please just take your rear end outta here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Roanoke, VA
1,805 posts, read 3,541,995 times
Reputation: 1117
I agree with Coconut1.

Poquoson7, why don't you consider that there are legitimate reasons some people don't like this area? Her "ranting" is hardly a rant. I've seen rants on this website and what she posted hardly qualifies as a rant IMO.

No one area will suit everyone. There are lots of people who love this area. And even among those who love it, it's kind of hard to miss some of the major issues that face this area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top