Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 58,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I hate to get too personal on the web since anonimity is one of the great things about these forums, but it really does depend on where you will be working in Chesapeake.

I guess my basic answer would be that Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are both very large geographically so it depends.

I'm gonna assume this job is in the Greenbrier area, in which case you could live someplace like Kempsville in Virginia Beach and have a 10minute commute but if you lived at the VB oceanfront it would take you 30-40min with no traffic and who knows how long at peak rush. If you are in fact at Greenbrier, there are also nice neighborhoods off of Greenbrier Parkway and Kempsville rd or in Great Bridge off of the bypass that would be easily accessible.

Also, assuming you are working in Greenbrier, I would shy away from Grassfield or Western Branch/Deep Creek just because the commute would be undesirable due to the construction of a large toll bridge currently on Dominion BLVD or having to cross the high rise bridge on 64 every day. Not to mention that those areas are also further from the beach.

If this job is not in Greenbrier then disregard what I said.

One other thing I will add, having grown up in Chesapeake but currently living in VB, is that VB has a much better system of public recreation centers that are very reasonably priced and a lot more public parks. Also, if you have 'gifted' kids, VB has the old donation center and kemps landing magnet school. Not sure how much those things matter to you but it is a consideration. Overall though, schools are about the same, lots of 7's or 8's on Great Schools (for what it is worth) and plenty of opportunities to learn.
Thank you for the insight. We are definitely open to any suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time again out of your schedule to answer my questions. The school information is indeed helpful as well as the rest of your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
There's nothing wrong with Chesapeake. I was in South Norfolk for over 3 years. Chesapeake and Virgina Beach are suburban because of the way they were formed. Chesapeake is Norfolk County and South Norfolk merged together. South Norfolk was it's own city. South Norfolk is the urban core of Chesapeake. From what I can tell, South Norfolk needed access to county public services, and logistically, it made more sense for them to go with Norfolk County. You also have Berkeley, another city, which is now part of Norfolk.

Virginia Beach is Princess Anne County.

Both have good and bad areas. Chesapeake's bad areas are poorer (ie. South Norfolk). But there are efforts to revitalize South Norfolk (ie. Gentrification). Virgina Beach has more people. Outside of South Norfolk in Chesapeake, Virginia Beach is more urban. Chesapeake has housing projects, Virginia Beach has Section 8.

Both cities are 50 years old, roughly, and are suburbs of Norfolk and Portsmouth. Virgina Beach is a little older. Both cities stretch out to their county limits, and are quite large.

People need to explain their likes and dislikes, rather than be bourgeois. Virginia Beach has a lot of middle and upper middle class from cities like Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia that never spent real time in Chesapeake. Don't pay them any mind.
Thank you for your input! The breakdown of the counties is very useful. I truly appreciate the different perspectives everyone has offered. Again - thank you for responding!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeLano View Post
Personally, we don't like it here and cannot wait to move somewhere a little less...busy. If that makes sense. We're both used to quiet little towns and Hampton Roads can be pretty intense.

Makes sense to me. Although I was born and raised in San Diego, CA I've also lived in Atlanta, GA for 13 years. Atlanta was a very busy city to me. Everyone was always rushing around and I did not like the hustle and bustle of the city there. Where we live now in Florida is very quiet and slow paced. It is a small city that I like to describe as Radiator Springs from the Disney movie "Cars" if you're familiar with that movie. It's actually a nice change of pace from the larger cities like San Diego and Atlanta which I've previously lived. Not sure how "busy" Hampton Roads is, but if it's anything like Atlanta, I'm sure to miss the quietness of living in a small town.... Actually CT is one of the places we have the opportunity to relocate to. My husband's job is also located in Manchester, CT if you're familiar with that area.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
Southern Chesapeake is not at all 'busy' and actually parts of it are quite rural. You can drive a few miles from Southern Chesapeake to say the Greenbrier area which has plenty of shopping with big box stores like Target, Bed Bath and plenty more. And if you long for more you can drive about 30 minutes to Virginia Beach Town Center and eat at its many restaurants and see a movie. And a few more miles puts you at the beach. You really can have the best of both worlds imo.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
The Great Bridge area of Chesapeake around Mount Pleasant alway seemed kind of slow and rural to me.... and I grew up in a town of 1500 folks.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeReeT View Post
Thank you for your input! The breakdown of the counties is very useful. I truly appreciate the different perspectives everyone has offered. Again - thank you for responding!
Don't put to much into those county break downs. All of the cities around here are independent cities meaning there are no counties.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Don't put to much into those county break downs. All of the cities around here are independent cities meaning there are no counties.
Yes, the county information can be a bit misleading. We learned that the hard way when we tried to look up tax information for Virginia Beach using Princess Anne County.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I agree, when I talk about areas here I basically just refer to what high school they funnel into. So if I say Kempsville that could mean neighborhoods like Farfield, Point O' View, Woodstock, Avalon Terrace, or Stratford Chase. The same with Chesapeake, if I tell someone Great Bridge I mean the areas that funnel into Great Bridge High School like Las Gaviotas or Ethridge Manor. Since you have kids that is what I would focus on. You should be able to get the school district maps off of any of the city websites then just widdle down your neighborhood search from there based on your budget and desired neighborhood characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area