Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,404 times

Advertisements

I thought it was a good speech. Time will tell how much gets accomplished but I particularly liked the 4 main things on his 2020 agenda. I know a certain someone on the forum that has grumbled about these things specifically so hopefully they'll be happy

full transcript 2014 State of the City :: VBgov.com - City of Virginia Beach

Fromt the speech.

"Today, I’d like to outline my top four objectives that are the focus of my 2020 Vision….

First, transportation has held us back for years, but today, it’s time for Virginia Beach to pave the way for a comprehensive transportation system that will offer the world greater access to Coastal Virginia — by land, by rail, and by air.… and will give us better access to the world.

It’s time to bring light rail into Virginia Beach. Let me remind you that more than 60 percent of Virginia Beach voters supported light rail, a very reliable, convenient, safe and environmentally clean mode of transportation. To get the trains rolling, we’ll have to make a long-term strategic investment in the future of the city. And today, I’m pleased to announce that we have a firm commitment from Governor Terry McAuliffe and Transportation Secretary Aubrey Layne to help with the funding we need to bring light rail into Virginia Beach.

I thank the General Assembly for creating the Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission. This new body, which will be effective on July 1st, will allow the region to determine where the funds generated by new revenue sources created by the 2013 General Assembly will be spent. This new authority will mean that projects that were dreams — including the expansion of I-64 on the Peninsula, new crossings of Hampton Roads, the expansion of I-64 in Chesapeake, and other projects chosen by the region — will become realities. Thank you to our delegation for supporting this effort.

Second, it’s time for Coastal Virginia to be an international destination... with a truly international airport… that has direct flights to major cities on the West Coast of our nation… and maybe even the West Coast of Europe. I’m tired of layovers between two or three flights to get where I’m going — aren’t you? This is simply unacceptable!

An Environmental Impact Statement just got underway for a second runway at the airport, which will ultimately draw more investment, more jobs, and more tourists to our region. Along with that, it’s time to “take ORF” for a brighter future, and Norfolk Mayor Paul Fraim and I are already meeting with Norfolk Airport Authority Executive Director Wayne Shank to explore new ways to achieve a world-class air transportation system for our region. You’ll be hearing more about this, because we will need our business and military communities to help us make this happen.

Third, it’s time to build an arena. We are the largest market in the nation without a large arena. What a game-changer it will be for this region to have a sports and entertainment arena right across the street from this convention center. Such a facility would generate a significant return on any investment the city would make — just as we’ve enjoyed a healthy return on numerous previous capital investments.

And fourth, it’s time to establish Virginia Beach as a destination for groundbreaking research and development, and headquarters of some of the world’s leading innovators in healthcare, bio-technology, pharmaceutical development and healthcare delivery systems.

Partnering with Tidewater Community College, Old Dominion University, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Hampton University, Regent University, Virginia Wesleyan College, the College of William and Mary, Sentara Healthcare, Bon Secours Health System, LifeNet Health, and WellPoint’s Amerigroup, we will attract the best minds, and establish a healthcare and pharmaceuticals research and policy center… where ideas of the future are generated and incubated — ideas that lead to new inventions, new alliances, and new frontiers in healthcare. This will be the newest sector in our economy!

By doing so, we can create more jobs, we can strengthen and diversify our economy, and we can enhance our quality of life. And students who go to college and concentrate in STEM fields will be able to come home to the best jobs — right here in Virginia Beach and Coastal Virginia.

In Princess Anne Commons, we already have the real estate — 1,500 acres that we can use to create our new advanced healthcare institute where one day, discoveries in stem cell research will save lives. It will be located on a campus where one day, our advanced healthcare teams may find the cure for diabetes, which has emerged as a one of the most common and most complex diseases in the world."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 11:48 AM

I also thought it was interesting that he referred to the region as Coastal Virginia rather than Hampton roads all throughout the speech. I had heard there was a push towards this, and I do like the sound of it better than HR to be honest.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:36 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,563,582 times
UH,
Thanks for sharin' this.. I agree the area is hampered by the small(er) airport. It's hard to get direct flights to/from any major metros (outside of Vegas, and I'm not sure Southwest even does that anymore ?).
But I think the confidence in light rail is based on nothing, and hyped by self-interested developers. VB is a content car-owning culture. I remember when the HOV lanes were gonna change the game, but they're barely used.. The bus lines (TRT turned HRT) run with pretty long gaps in between bcuz few ppl in VB need it. It's spread out, so mass transit is inconvenient & impractical for a lot of ppl. And bcuz VB has a lot of middle & upper-middle class residents ppl keep & value their own transportation. I don't see VB wanting or needing to convert to local rail transit & I've never heard a tourist express a need for it.. most want to enjoy their entire stay near Atlantic Avenue. Just my thoughts/experience, peace.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:36 PM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
Coastal Virginia does sound SO much better than Hampton Roads. It pinpoints EXACTLY where we live and conjures up salt air, seafood and abundant marine pleasures, it even sounds kind of sexy. Hampton Roads magazine recently changed it's moniker to Coastal Virginia. I think if we use this term more it will surely replace the outdated and confusing Hampton Roads.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:28 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Coastal Virginia does sound SO much better than Hampton Roads. It pinpoints EXACTLY where we live and conjures up salt air, seafood and abundant marine pleasures, it even sounds kind of sexy. Hampton Roads magazine recently changed it's moniker to Coastal Virginia. I think if we use this term more it will surely replace the outdated and confusing Hampton Roads.
When I hear "Coastal Virginia," I think of the Eastern Shore. I'm not sure how it pinpoints Hampton Roads since VA has a lot of coast outside this area.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
I think "coastal Virginia" sounds uninspiring, bland, corny, and country (no disrespect to PQSN7 or UH).There is a Coastal Carolina too...where is that...is it Wilmington...New Bern...Jacksonville? See how nondescript and vanilla that is? I will NEVER use that country sounding term and will use the CITY that I'm from, 7 Cities, tidewater or continue to use HR or even South East VA before I say that "coastal Virginia" mess. "Hampton Roads" is unique to me, no one else can claim that in this country. When I hear "coastal Virginia" all I really hear is VAB...and due to the egotistical separatist nature of the Beach all I see is an attempt to promote ITSELF.... and thennnn the rest of the area by default...because of course VAB lacks things regular "cities" have. Should've BEEN pushed for LR instead of leaving its NEIGHBOR out to dry...Beach should've BEEN trying to support pro-sports when it came to the Rhinos and Hornets. All this talk of advancing is all well and good...its just funny how VAB does the type of things it does, to me. It turns a lot of folks off that they will need for support...but if they are planning to go the No VA route,have at it...SMH.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I think "coastal Virginia" sounds uninspiring, bland, corny, and country (no disrespect to PQSN7 or UH).There is a Coastal Carolina too...where is that...is it Wilmington...New Bern...Jacksonville? See how nondescript and vanilla that is? I will NEVER use that country sounding term and will use the CITY that I'm from, 7 Cities, tidewater or continue to use HR or even South East VA before I say that "coastal Virginia" mess. "Hampton Roads" is unique to me, no one else can claim that in this country. When I hear "coastal Virginia" all I really hear is VAB...and due to the egotistical separatist nature of the Beach all I see is an attempt to promote ITSELF.... and thennnn the rest of the area by default...because of course VAB lacks things regular "cities" have. Should've BEEN pushed for LR instead of leaving its NEIGHBOR out to dry...Beach should've BEEN trying to support pro-sports when it came to the Rhinos and Hornets. All this talk of advancing is all well and good...its just funny how VAB does the type of things it does, to me. It turns a lot of folks off that they will need for support...but if they are planning to go the No VA route,have at it...SMH.
I always liked Tidewater or Norfolk/VB and was kind of surprised when I moved back and HR had kind of taken over. My biggest beef with the term Hampton Roads is that people associate it with New York and the Hamptons somehow, I had a lot of people say that when I used to rent umbrellas at the beach during summer break. If I had to vote I'd say call the area Norfolk/VB metro (sorry peninsula) as those are the two most notable cities that folks outside of VA recognize but I like the sound of Coastal VA more than HR even though HR has historical significance and is unique like you said.

I think that VB is trying to move forward a bit here, maybe they should have been on board with neighbors in the past but the past is the past... I like this direction. And there does seem to be a push, at least on the southside, for the cities to work together more on larger issues from sewer consolidations, to water distribution, to the airport, and transportation. Of course there will always be things to grumble about, but I'm not going to be overly critical towards steps in the right direction. The millennial generation wants public transportation, urban amenities, and good jobs (they are voting with their feet as we speak) so the area is going to need to provide more of that if it wants to continue to thrive and not lose young professionals to other areas.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the No VA route? I'm not clear what you are implying there... If you mean the funding then I'm happy to take some of there tax dollars for our transportation projects, it has been going the other way for years as that area has grown and nothing has gotten fixed around here.

Last edited by UHgrad; 03-14-2014 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
UH,
Thanks for sharin' this.. I agree the area is hampered by the small(er) airport. It's hard to get direct flights to/from any major metros (outside of Vegas, and I'm not sure Southwest even does that anymore ?).
But I think the confidence in light rail is based on nothing, and hyped by self-interested developers. VB is a content car-owning culture. I remember when the HOV lanes were gonna change the game, but they're barely used.. The bus lines (TRT turned HRT) run with pretty long gaps in between bcuz few ppl in VB need it. It's spread out, so mass transit is inconvenient & impractical for a lot of ppl. And bcuz VB has a lot of middle & upper-middle class residents ppl keep & value their own transportation. I don't see VB wanting or needing to convert to local rail transit & I've never heard a tourist express a need for it.. most want to enjoy their entire stay near Atlantic Avenue. Just my thoughts/experience, peace.
I think that the LR thing is more of a guide for future development. There are always going to be suburbs here, just like there are everywhere, but that doesn't mean you can't have a more urban core and offer alternative transportation for the folks that choose to live and work along that core. I just don't see it as a one or the other thing. But you are right, with the spread out nature of the area it is impractical for a lot of residents. But I just feel like that is anywhere, there isn't a city in this country that doesn't have sprawling suburbs around it's urban core.

I live fairly close to where the proposed Witchduck station will be, it is not going to make me sell my car if they build the rail there but it will make it more likely that I'd attend things like Harborfest, Tides games, or events at the oceanfront where traffic and parking make it a pain in the butt to go like ECSC, 4th of July, potential events at the arena, or concerts on the beach.

I also think it is good for tourists. I used to drive a tour van for a small hotel at the beach in college, we'd do trips to Nauticus, Bush Gardens, Downtown Norfolk, and other attractions around the area and I've read that a large percentage of tourists surveyed do in fact visit Town Center while they are staying at the oceanfront. Folks do spend a lot of their time at the strip but they also do venture out and it would be nice to keep them off the roads as much as possible since they have no idea where they are going most of the time.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
Tidewater sounds like a mud flat... 7Cities?... what 7 cities will folks think of sitting on their porch in flyover country? The term Hampton Roads, although historical, has been ambiguous from the get go. People outside VA have no idea who, where or what it is and mostly don't care.

Vanilla is VERY relative.

o

Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I thought it was a good speech. Time will tell how much gets accomplished but I particularly liked the 4 main things on his 2020 agenda. I know a certain someone on the forum that has grumbled about these things specifically so hopefully they'll be happy

full transcript 2014 State of the City :: VBgov.com - City of Virginia Beach

Fromt the speech.

"Today, I’d like to outline my top four objectives that are the focus of my 2020 Vision….

First, transportation has held us back for years, but today, it’s time for Virginia Beach to pave the way for a comprehensive transportation system that will offer the world greater access to Coastal Virginia — by land, by rail, and by air.… and will give us better access to the world.

It’s time to bring light rail into Virginia Beach. Let me remind you that more than 60 percent of Virginia Beach voters supported light rail, a very reliable, convenient, safe and environmentally clean mode of transportation. To get the trains rolling, we’ll have to make a long-term strategic investment in the future of the city. And today, I’m pleased to announce that we have a firm commitment from Governor Terry McAuliffe and Transportation Secretary Aubrey Layne to help with the funding we need to bring light rail into Virginia Beach.

I thank the General Assembly for creating the Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission. This new body, which will be effective on July 1st, will allow the region to determine where the funds generated by new revenue sources created by the 2013 General Assembly will be spent. This new authority will mean that projects that were dreams — including the expansion of I-64 on the Peninsula, new crossings of Hampton Roads, the expansion of I-64 in Chesapeake, and other projects chosen by the region — will become realities. Thank you to our delegation for supporting this effort.

Second, it’s time for Coastal Virginia to be an international destination... with a truly international airport… that has direct flights to major cities on the West Coast of our nation… and maybe even the West Coast of Europe. I’m tired of layovers between two or three flights to get where I’m going — aren’t you? This is simply unacceptable!

An Environmental Impact Statement just got underway for a second runway at the airport, which will ultimately draw more investment, more jobs, and more tourists to our region. Along with that, it’s time to “take ORF” for a brighter future, and Norfolk Mayor Paul Fraim and I are already meeting with Norfolk Airport Authority Executive Director Wayne Shank to explore new ways to achieve a world-class air transportation system for our region. You’ll be hearing more about this, because we will need our business and military communities to help us make this happen.

Third, it’s time to build an arena. We are the largest market in the nation without a large arena. What a game-changer it will be for this region to have a sports and entertainment arena right across the street from this convention center. Such a facility would generate a significant return on any investment the city would make — just as we’ve enjoyed a healthy return on numerous previous capital investments.

And fourth, it’s time to establish Virginia Beach as a destination for groundbreaking research and development, and headquarters of some of the world’s leading innovators in healthcare, bio-technology, pharmaceutical development and healthcare delivery systems.

Partnering with Tidewater Community College, Old Dominion University, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Hampton University, Regent University, Virginia Wesleyan College, the College of William and Mary, Sentara Healthcare, Bon Secours Health System, LifeNet Health, and WellPoint’s Amerigroup, we will attract the best minds, and establish a healthcare and pharmaceuticals research and policy center… where ideas of the future are generated and incubated — ideas that lead to new inventions, new alliances, and new frontiers in healthcare. This will be the newest sector in our economy!

By doing so, we can create more jobs, we can strengthen and diversify our economy, and we can enhance our quality of life. And students who go to college and concentrate in STEM fields will be able to come home to the best jobs — right here in Virginia Beach and Coastal Virginia.

In Princess Anne Commons, we already have the real estate — 1,500 acres that we can use to create our new advanced healthcare institute where one day, discoveries in stem cell research will save lives. It will be located on a campus where one day, our advanced healthcare teams may find the cure for diabetes, which has emerged as a one of the most common and most complex diseases in the world."
Where is that light rail anyway? Long overdue for VB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area