Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So it is kempsville which is what most call it anyway, but what are they building? Other than that stupid baseball stadium
I'll admit that it is the intersection of a few areas and may be a bit ambiguous but the city of virginia beach doesn't think that is Kempsville and I don't either. See the map on page 80 of the .pdf below. I'm not sure who calls that Kempsville, but nobody I know that grew up here calls that Kempsville... that is Green Run or Salem.

http://www.vbgov.com/government/depa...kempsville.pdf

They are building Southgate Commons as far as I know which is more shops and restaurants... sort of a strip mall in a nicer package like Landstown Commons.

http://www.vbgov.com/government/depa...thgate-crz.pdf

And for the record, I think the baseball complex will be great. Not only to have a team to go watch but great for the kids and the tournaments it will attract. Minor league sports are affordable for families and treat their fans much better than the big league teams in my opinion. It will also be a great development tool, this area has one of the highest major league baseball players per capita of any place in the country, there is tons of baseball talent here.

Last edited by UHgrad; 03-04-2014 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
The where has definitely come up before and I feel is abstract to most, which is o.k. If you feel like a Kempsvillager deep down, I think that's great. This is my conception of Kempsville:

From the City of VB:
It isn't a huge deal it just suprised me to here that called Kempsville. To me, anything past Walmart really isn't Kempsville anymore and my friends that went to Green Run or Salem would agree. But things change, maybe that is considered Kempsville now by the general population. Then again, everyone calls that road by Red Mill Nemo Parkway even though the Nimmo family used to own that land. LOL

What's in a name? | Nimmo Parkway, Virginia Beach | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 03-04-2014, 05:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
See I'm thinking baseball will be a bust because of the proximity of the Tides. I'm also not really sure where it's going because Southgate Commons is going up where I thought it would be. I guess it's on the other side of the field house? When I ran the VA is for Lovers 14K I realized there is a lot more empty space back there than I thought, but I also thought that was designated as the green belt and not for development?

The only store I could see listed for Southgate Commons is Mattress Firm just what we need. I hope something good goes in there. Living in the area I would love a Buckle, Express, or other clothing store that sells clothes for tall people I hate having to go to Lynnhaven mall to shop.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
See I'm thinking baseball will be a bust because of the proximity of the Tides. I'm also not really sure where it's going because Southgate Commons is going up where I thought it would be. I guess it's on the other side of the field house? When I ran the VA is for Lovers 14K I realized there is a lot more empty space back there than I thought, but I also thought that was designated as the green belt and not for development?

The only store I could see listed for Southgate Commons is Mattress Firm just what we need. I hope something good goes in there. Living in the area I would love a Buckle, Express, or other clothing store that sells clothes for tall people I hate having to go to Lynnhaven mall to shop.
Yeah, the thing with the tides is a big unknown but I think they can both exist. It will be nearly a half hour drive between the two and this new place is only gonna hold like 5000 people. I guess time will tell. From my perspective, the real upside is the complex that will host little league tournaments and adult softball leagues. The fieldhouse is already great for the public with soccer, volleyball, and flag football etc... leagues now this baseball/softball complex will make it even better over there for both adult and kids sports.

I can't find anything on where exactly the stadium is supposed to go aside from the pilot article saying it will be on Princess Anne Rd by the fieldhouse. So I would have to assume somewhere between the golf course and the fieldhouse, like you said there is a lot of space back there and that Southgate Commons will only take up a small fraction of it.

As far as the green line goes, that is definitely south of it but they have been developing those areas for years. It seems like the only real farmland that is gonna be left is pungo or those farms like Hunt Club that make money other ways in addition to growing stuff.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 AM

359 posts, read 758,753 times

From an article on K'ville development in the Pilot today. http://hamptonroads.com/2014/03/hist...-work-progress

Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 AM

178 posts, read 281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post

From an article on K'ville development in the Pilot today. Historic Kempsville project in Virginia Beach is a work in progress
Not another strip mall we have enough strip malls in Hampton Roads!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I thought for sure they'd tear the school down. I was in it, for work, a few years ago and it was in horrible condition.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 PM

359 posts, read 758,753 times
The gazebo area near the old bank looks nice. I don't know why we Americans require so many drug stores per sq. mi. though. Overall, I think it will become a very pretty area. The new bike trail is nice. Down by the courthouse, they're working on some paved bike trails too, so far so good.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I haven't seen this area recently and was concerned this area would be just another strip mall. After reading the article I feel a little relieved. It seems Kempsville is a historic area though little of it remains. Thankfully the city and residents are working to bring some character to this area and not just another boring strip center. A village concept would be nice.

Last edited by citydweller; 03-08-2014 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 05:56 PM

119 posts, read 343,654 times
This could be another topic, but I grew up in Green Run and the area that is described in the original post I have always considered as Salem. Green Run to me is all the neighborhoods on each side of Lynnhaven Parkway with Holland Rd and Princess Anne Rd being the borders. Kempsville is the other area being redeveloped that is shown a couple of post above.

Back on topic, both projects look interesting I'm just hoping we get some different shops, entertainment venues, and places to eat. I don't care if they are chain or not but please let's try some new things. Also, does anybody have any word on what is going to happen with the old Ames building on Virginia Beach Blvd? I have heard that Wal-Mart is looking to build there and I hope that is not true. I shop Wal-Mart but we already have 4 in this city alone and they are desperate to move into Town Center too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area