Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 AM

646 posts, read 813,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
I too have lived in Va Beach before and Hampton Rds, and moved away 15 years ago. I am looking forward to moving back soon.

I was last there in May, the area was growing when I left but really grew since. The Downtown has become a reality and they are expanding that after they designated Pembroke area a long time ago as such. It's going to be different with the new skyscrapers and new office towers going up there, not so laid back as before. However, the beach areas themselves are still a distance apart so that that environment won't be so spoiled for relaxation.

Of most of the large metro areas in the country I've lived in, this one has the best of both worlds, not too big, not so small either with the combined metro. I'll bet they do snag an NFL or MLB team before too long there is more and more move toward regionalism. Now light rail, the formation of HRT etc.

Correction to the above: I lived in HR, Va Beach 3 years total before, long enough to get to like and know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 05:13 PM

11 posts, read 30,445 times
I lived in VA beach from 2001 to 2004. I honestly could not wait to get out of this town. First, the jet noise is horrendous. Second, during tourist season, forget about going to the boardwalk. It's bumper to bumper traffic and the people are just plain rude. I too had visited that town when I was a kid and loved it, but I was really disappointed when I came back.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:34 PM

I lived there in 85.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsam23 View Post
I lived in VA beach from 2001 to 2004. I honestly could not wait to get out of this town. First, the jet noise is horrendous. Second, during tourist season, forget about going to the boardwalk. It's bumper to bumper traffic and the people are just plain rude. I too had visited that town when I was a kid and loved it, but I was really disappointed when I came back.

Yep that's it, it's very transient, people in and out all the time. But most major cities are like that I guess they just don't think of down there the same way but it is. Better beaches are along the BayShore and BaySide or Sandbridge anyway I always thought. Plus there is always the Outer Banks.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
We like to go to the boardwalk - but rarely during tourist season. That is the great thing about living here - you don't HAVE to go during the busy time. We love to go on a warm day in the spring just to walk around.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 25,511 times
Quote:
...the whole city has a suburban feel, rather then the average large city with its burnt down, boarded up, downtown blight (see Norfolks downtown area if you want a taste).
Have you been down there lately? Surely not...

Quote:
...nor is there a venue that has a high enough quality and capacity to attract the best entertainment acts
Must have missed the Ted Constant on your way from burnt down, boarded up, Downtown.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
I like the area, except for the ever present hostility of the towing signs. The town has a split personality, come and spend your money, but do not dare park here to do so. Among tourist areas that I have been to, it is fair, but the weather is lovely, the houses are ok, there is not much crime in comparison to other places and it appears to be growing a bit, so that is good.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 45,245 times
I have a love hate relationship with this city. I have lived here for almost 27 years. Some days, when the jets are doing touch and go drills and the noise just won't stop, and the traffic sucks because the city never planned ahead for how many people would be here and we have no real mass transit system, and the tourists in the summer, and of course the tunnels, those horrible, driving-ability-zapping tunnels.... ARRRGGGHHH!

But, as a parent, I'm happy with the school system. We have a lot of choice here in VB. My daughter goes to Kemps Landing, and I consider myself lucky that I can live anywhere in VB and the city will send a bus to get her to school. And there are options for high school, too. A variety of academies tailored to the students talents and interests. I can't complain there.

Weather wise, we are very lucky. The Outer Banks protect us (for the most part) from taking the full brunt of Hurricanes, the ocean keeps us from getting the full effect of snow storms, and most years (maybe not this year) we have four pretty distinct seasons.

We're just a few hours from mountains. We have a slew of great colleges within driving distance. We have 2 theme parks within 2 hours (three if you count Ocean Breeze right here in the city.) We're only 20 minutes or so from all downtown Norfolk has to offer.

All in all... it's not bad. But can someone please invent a muffler for those jets?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 AM

4 posts, read 12,536 times
Personally, I kinda like Va Beach but its kinda overrated. The things I like are the schools, great shopping, Lynnhaven Mall, and it is clean for the most part. It is a suburban city and they are building a downtown (Va Beach Town Center). I haven't got used to calling it Downtown Va Beach because it doesn't really feel like a downtown...no court buildings or city departments, just a couple of hotels, a few shops and alot of great chain restaurants. Well they just built a preforming arts center across the hotel. Its a tourist city and the oceanfront is nice but old and could use some improvements in my opinion. It is packed during the summer. Northern Va Beach has most of the affluent areas. The southern part of the city is very rural but at the rate Va Beach has grown, that could change. The area around General Booth and Nimmo Pkwy has grown and they have a huge shopping center out there now. I know they building a shopping center called Landstown Commons I think which is off Princess Anne Rd. I think they are building more neighboorhoods around Dam Neck and London Bridge. You should visit the city and see it for yourself. It has sprawled so much and if you haven't been here in a while, then you will notice alot of changes.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:24 PM

126 posts, read 595,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I remember a bicycle path about a block over. It led to a small strip mall with an ice cream shop. The shop installed a Pac-Man game and a Capitan Fantastic pinball machine. It was a very popular place for teens. The Area is on the Beach between Lynnhaven Colony and Cape Story By the Sea.
I live in Cape Story by the Sea. Funny how you remember the name of the neighborhood when many locals do not even know it.

The Navy moved my Father here in 1978 and I have been here since. I like the area. I attended school here for 4th - 12th grade, then through ODU in Norfolk.

For school info try vbschools.com

-Mark

Last edited by Mark Sr.; 12-28-2007 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area