U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 06:16 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,705,069 times

Advertisements

Should we just abandon the Southside and build up the Peninsula? After all, the Southside is sinking and the Peninsula is dis-invested. Just build up Newport News, forget about running 4 lanes each side of I-64 to Richmond and make a go of it?

Not my idea, but some rhetoric that is floating around in the Pilot today. Now I am for building up the Peninsula; some parts are just urban (if not more) than some areas of the Southside. But does it have to be one or the other? ALL of Hampton Roads needs to be developed. As it is vain attempts at gentrification want to push the poor out to the southern parts of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake while the working class people take over the downtown areas and the northern parts of those cities. Or perhaps the poor will just skip the southern parts altogether or move out to the exurbs. Have to put them somewhere.

Just frustrated this is another one of my occasional rants about the small minds of some in HR; I honestly do not see why this region could not be several times greater than it already is. There is just too much land, and too many people, for this region not to move forward. I guess I should be grateful for the patchwork/piecemeal development that does exist in the 757.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM

8,015 posts, read 10,019,922 times
maybe they want to keep it just the way it is.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM

24,913 posts, read 35,569,816 times
How about one city on each side of the water at a time? Norfolk and Newport News to start since they seem to be the cities with the most potential.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM

368 posts, read 882,219 times
Since I live in Newport News, I would say yes, they should definitely abandon the rest of Hampton Roads and put all their money and resources into building up just Newport News (most particularly, the CNU area).

No, but seriously, a big part of why we like living in Newport News is because (as my husband and I joke often) it's close to places we want to be. It would definitely cut down on our enjoyment of the area if they just let Southside sink into the ocean (although I suppose that would actually bring the beach closer to us...) and we are definitely looking forward to the renovations on I-64, so we're not always getting stuck in traffic jams on the way up to Williamsburg.

So, (damnit!) I guess I'd have to say it would be better to share the wealth and build up the entire area. I think, in the long run, it would be better for all the municipalities, including Newport News.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
maybe they want to keep it just the way it is.
I am starting to think that this is the case.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,328,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Should we just abandon the Southside and build up the Peninsula? After all, the Southside is sinking and the Peninsula is dis-invested. Just build up Newport News, forget about running 4 lanes each side of I-64 to Richmond and make a go of it?

Not my idea, but some rhetoric that is floating around in the Pilot today. Now I am for building up the Peninsula; some parts are just urban (if not more) than some areas of the Southside. But does it have to be one or the other? ALL of Hampton Roads needs to be developed. As it is vain attempts at gentrification want to push the poor out to the southern parts of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake while the working class people take over the downtown areas and the northern parts of those cities. Or perhaps the poor will just skip the southern parts altogether or move out to the exurbs. Have to put them somewhere.

Just frustrated this is another one of my occasional rants about the small minds of some in HR; I honestly do not see why this region could not be several times greater than it already is. There is just too much land, and too many people, for this region not to move forward. I guess I should be grateful for the patchwork/piecemeal development that does exist in the 757.
I think your assumptions are false. Both areas are sinking due to subsidence ( Study: Sinking land, not rising seas, a bigger worry | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com )

and sea level rise will impact both areas.

Most of Newport News does look like it will fare better than the rest of the region. But Poquoson, Hampton, and Northern York County are just as bad as anyplace on the Southside.

It certainly does raise the question of what parts of the region should be targeted for higher density development though. My hope would be NOT the areas in red because we won't be able to build walls around everything.. there is just too much water.

Flood insurance premiums will certainly have an impact as well, folks will be less willing to build in low-lying areas if the federal government stops subsidizing their insurance.

Flood insurance rates are on the rise in Virginia | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

So my answer is no, don't abandon the southside because of something that will likely be a problem in 100 years. But we do need to be smarter about where and how we develop going forward.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:16 PM

354 posts, read 514,132 times
They way I see it Hampton Roads is built up, I mean come on now on the southside U have Suffolk,Norfolk,Portsmouth,Chesapeake, & Virginia Beach which is 5 cities right beside each other. U cross the bridge U in another city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or