U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 AM

124 posts, read 168,416 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I am look at places to relocate this fall. Virginia Beach area sounds very appealing, but I have to admit, I don't know much about the area. Is it a family friendly area? My #1 priority is safety!! On the city data crime stats, it looks safe, but I have heard bad things about the crime, what's the real deal?

My rental budget is only around $700. Is this doable here, to live in a really good area?

Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,329,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
Hi guys!

I am look at places to relocate this fall. Virginia Beach area sounds very appealing, but I have to admit, I don't know much about the area. Is it a family friendly area? My #1 priority is safety!! On the city data crime stats, it looks safe, but I have heard bad things about the crime, what's the real deal?

My rental budget is only around $700. Is this doable here, to live in a really good area?

Thank you so much!
It is safe and family friendly but a $700 budget is not going to cut it around here for a multi-room unit in a decent area.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,077,643 times
$700 will not go very far here. I think most one bedroom apartments cost more than that and I'm assuming you have a family since you ask that if it is a family friendly area.

It's a great area to raise a family, but the cost of living isn't cheap.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 AM

124 posts, read 168,416 times
I meant to say, I only need a one bedroom. Do you guys ow the average price of a one bedroom in a safe area of town? It's so hard to tell on sites like Craigslist when you don't know the area! It is possible I can stretch my rental budget to $800 but it would be tough!

Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,231,331 times
Quote:
I meant to say, I only need a one bedroom. Do you guys ow the average price of a one bedroom in a safe area of town? It's so hard to tell on sites like Craigslist when you don't know the area! It is possible I can stretch my rental budget to $800 but it would be tough!
Get,
hi..
Yeah, most of VB is very family friendly.. Probably won't find a real nice place for 7-800 dollars tho.. I think you can find apartments that are in good surrounding areas, but themselves will be older or a little grimy..

You'll get a safe neighborhood, with good schools, but apt might be a little worn-out. Take the good with the bad y'know.. An area that I can speak to, fitting this description would be apt complexes off Pleasure House Road in VB 23455 (in between Lookout & Shore Drive) ..
U might wanna check out some of those, see what u think.. (?) They also would put u close to a beach.. if that matters.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
700-800 is possible for a cheaper one bedroom. Avoid the Lake Edward area (around Newtown/Baker), though, which is where you will find a lot of the cheaper rents.

Look into Chatham Square as it is generally one of the cheaper deals for a 1 bedroom apartment in VB in a decent area. No utilities are included so expect to be paying an extra $50-70 for water/sewage.

HOLD THE VISION & TRUST THE PROCESS! LIVE @ CHATHAM SQ.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM

64 posts, read 115,996 times
Yes. It is safe and fairly family friendly here. In fact, not long ago the FBI rated VB as one of the top safest places to raise a family in a somewhat middle-large city. Budget friendly...nope on that one. You might be able to find a 1 bedroom in your range, but it won't be fancy. Visit and look around before you decide.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 AM

91 posts, read 251,665 times
Quote:
Hi guys!

Thank you so much!
South east VB is safe, but 700$ will only get you in the ghettos around newtown and witchduck.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM

177 posts, read 236,620 times
Virginia Beach is a good city if you want to raise children at the rec centers everyday and you will have no problem finding a apartment since Virginia Beach has millions of apartments and townhomes to rent!

Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
Virginia Beach is a good city if you want to raise children at the rec centers everyday and you will have no problem finding a apartment since Virginia Beach has millions of apartments and townhomes to rent!
I can't wait until you move out of Hampton Roads. Your close-minded attitude is probably hurting your ability to make friends here and enjoy anything that the area has to offer. It's not for everyone, but I have been able to find something good about everywhere I've lived: large city to small village.

I have no idea why you think people here "raise children at the rec centers everyday." You may feel that way; however, one of the nice things about this area is that for a decently sized city, there is still a fair amount of outdoors-y activities that one can do. I often see people who aren't raising their kids at the rec center taking their kids to the beach for some fishing, taking them to the river for some kayaking, going to Mount Trashmore for some kite-flying, searching for some wild ponies at Sanbridge, surfing, traveling out to Suffolk for some small hikes, getting in some golf, going to Tides/Admirals games.

Overall, it's a great city to raise a kid, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area