Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,327 times

Advertisements

I recently was accepted to Hampton University, and my wife and I will be moving from Southern California. From what we have seen online, safety can be an issue. However, I know that all areas have safe parts and sketchy parts. We are in our mid-late 20's and looking for either an apartment or house/townhome to rent. We will fly out in June to check out the school and the neighboring cities. I would prefer my commute to be less than 30 minutes to or from school. What areas would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 05:59 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
Will either of you also be working in a certain area?

I'd probably look into living in the Western Branch section of Chesapeake, since it is affordable and pretty safe. You would be pretty close to take 664 to take the MMBT to get there. Right now according to google maps, at 8AM, it is 25 minutes. The reason why I suggest this is this would allow for your wife to have an easier commute if she would work in Norfolk/VB. It is also a safe area with some decently priced condos. I know a guy who goes to Hampton as well who lives in the western branch/northern Suffolk neck of the woods who makes that commute who said it wasn't bad (he stayed there to keep his kids in western branch schools) and my brother-in-law used to make that commute to and from Fort Eustis, so I am certain it is manageable.

I guess I also suggest this because I don't know as much about Hampton/Newport News as I should, so I am offering locations that I know and have had experiences with.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM

368 posts, read 995,771 times
People on here usually suggest that you live on the same side of the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel) as you will be working (or, in your case, studying). I agree with randomlikeme that it's a good idea to know where you'll be spending the majority of your time before picking a place to live. if you're going to be primarily at Hampton U. it would be a good idea to stay on the peninsula to avoid tunnel traffic (which can be pretty horrific). You could commute from all areas of Hampton or Poquoson or the Tabb area of York County within 30 minutes. Poquoson and Tabb have pretty much no sketchy areas and the schools (if that's a factor) are good. Poquoson has a reputation as being somewhat insular (whether this is deserved or not, I don't know). Tabb is a little more diverse. A little longer of a commute could bring you to a good area of Newport News (I live in the area near CNU--Christopher Newport University, and find it very safe) or Yorktown, which, again, has no bad areas and good schools.

There are definitely areas of Hampton where you can live safely, but, unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the area on a whole. You could look into Fort Monroe (which strikes me as a kind of cool place to live) and I've also heard good things about the Fox Hill area.

Congratulations on your acceptance and best of luck!!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Try the Hampton Woods area, some (most) areas in Fox Hill , some (most) areas of Farmington (all in Hampton), Kiln Creek in Newport News, Tabb area, Poquoson.

There are several areas within Hampton/Newport News that are perfectly safe and you don't have to commute through any tunnels or on any bridges. (which can be a significant hassle).

The two areas I mention in Hampton have pretty good schools, from what I know, which I'll admit is limited since I don't have kids - I'm basing it on what I know other people have chosen.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
Yeah I mentioned mine as an option for if one spends their time in Hampton and the other would have to be in Norfolk/VB for work, which happens a lot. I feel like the Western Branch/Churchland/Northern Suffolk area is a good compromise between needing to be in two areas which isn't necessarily a bad thing if she plans to get a job after the move but you don't necessarily know where yet.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,327 times
Thank you for the information. I will be in the DPT program, so I will not be working. My wife is trying to get a teaching job at Hampton, which would be nice. We are just worried about finding a safe place to live, when it's somewhere we have never been and across the country. I looked up the crime data on neighborhoodscout.com, and the rating for the area was about 20, with 100 being the safest. Then I compared it to the last two places that I have lived, which I thought were very safe, and it was pretty much the same.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 PM

36 posts, read 66,821 times
I would recommend the Michaels woods/ Hampton woods area of Hampton by Bethel High School. Beautiful modern homes with nice walkable streets. Also immediate access to the interstate.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
close to the university or a mile or two away, like wythe or buckroe beach.
don't live so far away. you'll be alright nearby right by the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area