Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,562 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer in Norfolk, VA and if I accept the position we'd be moving from northern (lower) Michigan. We are leaving this Saturday for a quick trip to check out various areas to see if it's a good fit.

I'm mostly interested in lower crime rate areas and have no problem driving up to 40 mins each way to work in Norfolk. We have three children that will be making the move with us.

We are looking for a smaller town feel, relatively safe, possibly to rent outside of town in the country (if we can find it). What areas do you suggest we look at? We are looking to rent for under $1500 per month.

Any advice on certain towns/cities you'd recommend we visit on our trip? I was told by the employer to look into Smithfield, Suffolk, Kempsville or Chesapeake.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathjens View Post
I just received a job offer in Norfolk, VA and if I accept the position we'd be moving from northern (lower) Michigan. We are leaving this Saturday for a quick trip to check out various areas to see if it's a good fit.

I'm mostly interested in lower crime rate areas and have no problem driving up to 40 mins each way to work in Norfolk. We have three children that will be making the move with us.

We are looking for a smaller town feel, relatively safe, possibly to rent outside of town in the country (if we can find it). What areas do you suggest we look at? We are looking to rent for under $1500 per month.

Any advice on certain towns/cities you'd recommend we visit on our trip? I was told by the employer to look into Smithfield, Suffolk, Kempsville or Chesapeake.

If you don't mind commutes, look into Suffolk (though your best bet on schools there will be Nansemond River High, so I'd look into what would matriculate there), so I'd look into the Bennetts Pasture area like CreekView. It does have a great small town/country feel while also still being close to a lot of things (harbor view). Though depending on how you feel about tolls, I might say avoid that as you will probably have to either go through downtown tunnel to get to Norfolk or add miles/gas money to your commute by taking 64 all of the way around it. I think the area is worth it if you absolutely love it, but the tolls can add an extra $80 a month depending on how often you have to go through it.... that's a cable bill!

I'd also look into the Great Bridge area of Chesapeake off of Mount Pleasant. Also has that great small town/country feel. I'd also look into the Hickory area there as well. I actually think this area would probably be your best bet. The schools are amazing, it has that nice country feel while still being close to everything that you need and you should be able to rent something there for about $1500 a month.

I'm not sure if I'd look into Smithfield. I had a friend who lived there and worked in towncenter VB and her commute was about an hour and a half one way. I don't think I could handle that without going crazy.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM

359 posts, read 758,831 times
Hello, fellow Michigander.

I say try south (far south) of south Norfolk in the Chesapeake area, or Kempsville.

Avoid travel that requires you to cross bridges, which get clogged daily.

Let us know what you choose. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 12,544 times
You absolutely don't want to have to cross a major bridge to get to Norfolk - they are a nightmare during rush hour. The advice to look at the Hickory high school district of Chesapeake is excellent; you'll have a long drive but you'll have that country feel you are seeking and the schools are good. Kempsville in Virginia Beach will not have that small town feel you're seeking. Smithfield is really a long way out, and Suffolk is a long drive too, with all the commuters going the same direction as you will be heading. The traffic on I64 coming from Suffolk backs up at the High Rise Bridge. I used to commute over the High Rise in the opposite direction, rejoicing that I didn't have to sit in traffic with all of those folks. Don't become one of them!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:

Crime rates will be lower than Michigan, regardless of where you live. Particularly if you're talking about with respect to the cities in Southeast Michigan.

Chesapeake, despite being a bigger city, may still give you a smaller town feel depending on where in Chesapeake you're at. The Mall is in Greenbrier, and that area is more built up but not far from the mall it is more of a suburban atmosphere. The other dense area is South Norfolk, but crime is higher there.

Personally I would go for Suffolk. Smithfield and Kempsville are entirely too far from Norfolk IMHO. Plus your commute might actually be more than 40 minutes if you run into a traffic jam. Northern Suffolk should fit the bill, Southern is a bit rural for me.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM

91 posts, read 275,820 times
Quote:

Look along General Booth BLVD in south east VA BEACH

Old 04-13-2014, 03:49 PM

16 posts, read 15,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post

I'm not sure if I'd look into Smithfield. I had a friend who lived there and worked in towncenter VB and her commute was about an hour and a half one way. I don't think I could handle that without going crazy.
Agree! Do not look in Smithfield if working in Norfolk. My husband has been placed on assignment at Little Creek in Norfolk and it takes him, at minimum, an hour travel each way from our home in Smithfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area