Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times

Advertisements

We are Irish Music enthusiasts and were just treated to a lovely concert at the American Theater in Hampton. We have hit every pub in the area and still are looking for some good traditional music. We were spoilt for choice whilst in Chicago recently and are attempting to find a good community down here. We are members of the Tidewater Irish American Friendship Society and would be glad to share information on that if anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,097 times
I would love to hear some good Irish music. There were a lot of bands I heard growing up in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Haven't heard any down here. Where and when does the society meet?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 AM

NEPA I am originally from Bethlehem PA myself and miss the music cultural scene there as well. We are searching for good Irish music here and are willing to hold sessions at the house, or meet at different pubs, but we are just getting that together. The Society usually on the first thursday of the month,.

[CENTER]Meetings are held on the first Thursday of every month at the
Church of the Ascension's Community Center Hall
4853 Princess Anne Rd, Virginia Beach, VA.
For directions and info go here.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The meetings usually get underway at 7:00 p.m., ending at 9:00 p.m. We will end the evening with fine Irish tea, coffee and Irish soda bread.

If we hear of a good gig, we can plan a meet up.[/CENTER]

Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,097 times
Nice to see another NEPA transplant. My brother lives in Nazareth and teaches at Muhlenberg U in Allentown. Bethlehem is a neat town. Thanks for the information. I will have to look into the society. Are you the ones who put together the St. Pattys Day parade in Oceanview?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 AM

I think they work on it. It is a small group and we are trying to help them grow larger and maybe a bit younger. They do some charity work, but mainly it is a social group.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPA-x-pat View Post
I would love to hear some good Irish music. There were a lot of bands I heard growing up in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Haven't heard any down here. Where and when does the society meet?

I currently don't live in the area at present, but I remember the Irish Rovers and other Irish groups used to perform at a pub in Waterside some years back. It was regular weekends and good food too.

I thought VB had a number of Irish pubs with music scene.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:34 PM

The pubs are desperate for real irish music here. The same five people singing the same ten songs begs the label of "scene," and we would love to see some trad music, not just pub music. We were delighted with the Boys of the Lough and would love more of that. Where are you fiddlers??

Old 12-12-2007, 08:35 PM

NEPA the Christmas party/tea is tomorrow for the Irish American Society, Thursday. If you would like to venture over for the festivities we would meet you. They say there will be music.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
The pubs are desperate for real irish music here. The same five people singing the same ten songs begs the label of "scene," and we would love to see some trad music, not just pub music. We were delighted with the Boys of the Lough and would love more of that. Where are you fiddlers??
I thought they were getting one in the Town Center of VB or isn't there one in Ghent?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
I thought they were getting one in the Town Center of VB or isn't there one in Ghent?

Well keegans is in town center but it has mainly rock and roll music for the youngsters in town. And Mo and OMalley's has the occasional Irish singer, but mainly it is rock and roll too. Conklin's has a Northern Ireland transplant who is ok, but often is so drunk as to be incoherent. Murphy's continues to have consistently better choices, but the place is so focused on sports and the young Navy crowd that the poor singers are barely heard over the clapping for the tv and the testosterone heightened voices.

Occasionally Brendan Sheridan comes to town and there is sweet music, Just spoilt for choice in Dublin, Chicago and PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area