Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM

64 posts, read 121,707 times

Advertisements

I was curious to see what others thoughts are on this topic. I was in the military and stationed in HR for 3 years, I lived in the area 2 years after getting out working as a defense contractor because I enjoyed the area.

I ended up moving away from the area for another opportunity but I am missing the area and considering moving back. One of my biggest concerns is the areas dependence on government/military. I am concerned that if I moved back and the government/military was to take cuts that it would drastically affect the area (since it is so dependent on military spending) and ultimately my employment since there aren't a lot of corporate options as alternatives for employment in the HR area as well.

Does anyone else have similar concerns, or are in a similar situation? I would love to see what others think. Typically salaries in the area seem to be significantly less than a lot of other areas also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,221,585 times
I'm surprised your post has no responses. From what I see, as a civilian, unless you work for a defense contractor or have another type of government job (school teacher, law enforcement, etc.), the job market here is tight and good jobs with benefits are highly selective.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
There are many other ways to make salary in Coastal Virginia besides the DOD and DOD contracting.
A partial list:
Solo
Canon
Continental
Pressure Systems
NN Industrial
Jefferson Lab
Liebherr
Sysco
Lipton
Swisslog

The DOD/contractors make up about 43% of the economic activity, that leaves another 57% of economic activity devoted to other fields. This area is waking up to the DOD equation and is making a concerted effort to diversify, VA Beach and Chesapeake seeming to lead the way.
The three pillars of the economy are DOD, the ports and tourism.
The offshore wind industry is beginning to emerge locally with Dominion Power receiving upwards of $40 million to construct and test 2 wind turbines off the coast. Once up and running these turbines will provide power to about 3,000 homes. A fully operational turbine wind farm has the potential to power up to 700,000 homes. This industry has the potential to create a whole new economic sector for the area.

There is economic promise for Southeastern VA in other areas such as modeling and simulation, logistics, physics research and development, aerospace R & D, healthcare technology. We need to wake up to the potential of this area and work to minimize the hand wringing over DOD cuts and economic oblivion.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I was also surprised I didn't receive any responses TN_Lily.

Interesting post as well Poquoson. It would be good to see the area diversify and not be so dependent on government/military spending because as you mentioned, as of right now the talk of any cuts to either sector seem to cause panic in the Hampton Roads area for most..

Old 05-08-2014, 03:09 PM

It's been so easy for local elected officials to skate by with DOD money and not pound the pavement to bring good paying jobs to this region.
It feels like change is coming to this urban collection we call home. The reality is that this area is truly unique in the states, no place like it, good or bad.
The folks that reside here are from you name it, that really keeps things fluid and interesting.

We occupy a prime piece of real estate on the East Coast and things are brewing here kids, lets help make it happen by recognizing what we have here and giving it all some positive energy.
I'm a fan.....

Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
We occupy a prime piece of real estate on the East Coast and things are brewing here kids, lets help make it happen by recognizing what we have here and giving it all some positive energy.
I'm a fan.....
Not really, though. If you look at most successful east coast cities, they're all situated along 95, with easy access to each other. The only reason somebody would come to HR is to come to HR. We're a cul de sac (ironic, I know ) and have nothing of importance to our immediate north or south.

With one major road in and out, a small airport, and little train service, it's very difficult to achieve any sort of connectivity, thus prosperity.

Any military cutbacks are devastating to this area, and the few other businesses that are here are not enough to make this a vibrant metropolis. The low salaries for non military members are a major issue as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Not really, though. If you look at most successful east coast cities, they're all situated along 95, with easy access to each other. The only reason somebody would come to HR is to come to HR. We're a cul de sac (ironic, I know ) and have nothing of importance to our immediate north or south.

With one major road in and out, a small airport, and little train service, it's very difficult to achieve any sort of connectivity, thus prosperity.

Any military cutbacks are devastating to this area, and the few other businesses that are here are not enough to make this a vibrant metropolis. The low salaries for non military members are a major issue as well.
So disconnected, yet the area keeps growing and growing. You don't have to be on 95 to be connected or successful...nor do you have to be overrun with more people than you really need... like NYC, Philly and some parts of Jersey where whole neighborhoods are boarded up and abandoned or on their last leg...left for dead in the land that time forgot. Plus, if you do not know how to use PLANES, TRAINS or AUTOMOBILES to maneuver around modern day transportation infrastructure then youre probably better off staying where youre at. Finding HR would be the LEAST of your worries. The only reason somebody would come to HR is to come to HR? What? The only reason someone would go to Mars is to go to Mars. So what? If there is nothing important to our immediate AND FAR north...please tell all them people from New England (some working in City Hall and downtown no less), Delaware,and Jersey to go home and take NY with you. Tell all them people from NC to stop trynna come hear to work construction and take "NoVa" and Maryland and them illegals witchya. And stop trynna sneak them illegals on the shipyards cot dammit.
AND cot dammin picket...what the HELL is going on in California why are you here California...did NoVa burn you out and you felt this part of the state had more charactor...more soul? Is there something going on in California we need to know about?

Seriously though, the only thing I will agree with is the low salary for non-military unskilled workers.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 AM

As hard as it is for some folks to accept, a lot of people really like it here because it is NOT like other East Coast urban areas strung along 95.
My prior point was the area's uniqueness, not it's allegiance to the vast Northeastern urban conglomeration.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM

I do like the HR area for the reasons Poquoson mentions, I am just concerned with the availability of quality employment options, especially if the military takes cuts. HR would be impacted significantly.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
I don't know when the last time "uniqueness" paid the bills, but when it does, let me know.

zxbane, you're wise to be concerned. When you're looking around for potential jobs, which I'm sure you're doing just to see what's out there, keep in mind that what you're seeing is normal for this area and not just an economic slump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area