U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:47 PM

150 posts, read 550,988 times

Advertisements

Ok here goes. My fiance and I are going to Hampton Roads 1/5-1/9. We want to give one city its chance for the entire day. If we like what we see, we will be flying back to that city in April or May to have housing planned for our move in the summer.

What 4 or 5 cities/towns should we consider? Williamsburg is one of them, so name me 3 or 4 others. Also, what are some nice areas of town for these cities you name? If you can, give me a specific intersection to help me reconize the area inwhich you suggest. I'll add it into my GPS to help plan and navigate our trip.

I've printed out several neighborhood maps for Chesapeake, but Im not quite sure of their whereabouts. I'll have to look them up later. I really want to see Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Williamsburg for sure.

Low crime rate is a big key for us. Commute time doesn't really matter, we just need to be in a decent driving distance from grocery stores, restaurants and shopping centers. So what are some of the better overall cities for this? I don't need a halfmillion-dollar-housing type neighborhoods.... just something decent and safe, all we care about. Thanks in advance for your input guys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 PM

10,445 posts, read 48,015,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PChildres View Post
Ok here goes. My fiance and I are going to Hampton Roads 1/5-1/9. We want to give one city its chance for the entire day. If we like what we see, we will be flying back to that city in April or May to have housing planned for our move in the summer.

What 4 or 5 cities/towns should we consider? Williamsburg is one of them, so name me 3 or 4 others. Also, what are some nice areas of town for these cities you name? If you can, give me a specific intersection to help me reconize the area inwhich you suggest. I'll add it into my GPS to help plan and navigate our trip.

I've printed out several neighborhood maps for Chesapeake, but Im not quite sure of their whereabouts. I'll have to look them up later. I really want to see Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Williamsburg for sure.

Low crime rate is a big key for us. Commute time doesn't really matter, we just need to be in a decent driving distance from grocery stores, restaurants and shopping centers. So what are some of the better overall cities for this? I don't need a halfmillion-dollar-housing type neighborhoods.... just something decent and safe, all we care about. Thanks in advance for your input guys!
Williamsburg is awsome ! On your way up to Williamsburg, go a tad further to Urbanna right on the Rappahannock River. Beautiful ! Also drive through Yorktown. It's not just an old battlefield to visit.

Im very fond of Chesapeake, specificly the Great Bridge area. Stop in Great Bridge Lock Park and walk the path out to the end of the pennilsula to watch the boats on the Elizabeth River. Continue this path to where the GB Lock is. Sit on the bleachers and watch the snowbirds navigating their yachts down the ICW.

Nothing about Virginia Beach ever turned me on but go south along the VB ocean front all the way south to False Cape State Park and fall in love. Go further down to Bodie Island and the Dolphins swim within 40' of the beach. They swim with you as you walk along the oceans edge. Oh how I miss that place.

Norfolk is dumpy but take a look at Ghent. The beautiful old homes will make you say wow. It does get pricy there though. While in Norfolk make sure you stop in Waterside and Town Point Park where there are enough festival events to keep you always busy on weekends. I left my beloved Virginia just before MacArthur Center in Norfolk opened. What is this new mall like...anyone?

We used to go to Smithfield all the time too. Visit the Lighthouse that is available to rent like a Hotel. You walk way out on a boardwalk across the water to your own private light house. Nearby visit the home of the Smithfield Ham Company. Oh how I miss that place.

I would say that Hampton Roads, Tidewater...whatever they call it these days is one of the best places to live. I spent just 3 years there from age 40-43 and I call Chesapeake my home. There is so so so much to do and see. I miss it badly.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,710,883 times
Where are you moving from? Why the Hampton Roads area?

*Williamsburg is very nice, I grew up there. Very safe area and just beautiful and charming.
*The Shore Drive area of VA Beach is nice, also known as Chick's Beach. It's a nice little beach community.
*Great Bridge in Chesapeake is a nice place to live, I also lived there..........nice place to raise a family.
*Ghent in Norfolk is nice but personally the only area of Norfolk that I liked. I just moved from there........... it can be real expensive though. Bad areas and good areas can all be kind of mixed in together though, you just have to do your research.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
Where are you moving from? Why the Hampton Roads area?

*Williamsburg is very nice, I grew up there. Very safe area and just beautiful and charming.
*The Shore Drive area of VA Beach is nice, also known as Chick's Beach. It's a nice little beach community.
*Great Bridge in Chesapeake is a nice place to live, I also lived there..........nice place to raise a family.
*Ghent in Norfolk is nice but personally the only area of Norfolk that I liked. I just moved from there........... it can be real expensive though. Bad areas and good areas can all be kind of mixed in together though, you just have to do your research.
Emeraldgirl you just repeated what I said. That means that great minds think alike. I wonder if you miss Hampton Roads as much as I.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Emeraldgirl you just repeated what I said. That means that great minds think alike. I wonder if you miss Hampton Roads as much as I.
hehe........There are some things I miss like: Town Point Wine Festival, Stockley Gardens and Boardwalk art festival, Chrysler Museum, Chick's Beach, going to the Outer Banks at a moments notice, Busch Gardens, Restored area of Williamsburg, concert venues, Pungo, North End of VA Beach.

I really love my new home though.......the sunsets on the Gulf are amazing! The beaches are breathtaking as well, white sands and emerald green/blue water. I could not even go back to Va Beach after seeing the beaches here in FL. Just hope the hurricanes stay away!

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 12-22-2007 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. And we're moving from Houston, TX. I moved to Houston in 2003 from eastern North Carolina (Rocky Mount/Greenville area) to be closer to my girlfriend who lived here in Houston. She'll be graduating school in May and I'd like to live in a place that has better weather, less congestion with people and traffic, lower crime, close to the ocean, and closer to my family in NC.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PChildres View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. And we're moving from Houston, TX. I moved to Houston in 2003 from eastern North Carolina (Rocky Mount/Greenville area) to be closer to my girlfriend who lived here in Houston. She'll be graduating school in May and I'd like to live in a place that has better weather, less congestion with people and traffic, lower crime, close to the ocean, and closer to my family in NC.
Well your leaving Houston and Im going to Houston. Actually we have a place an hour above Houston on Lake Livingston. But I cant stop thinking about the Bolivar Peninsula. Im not afraid of hurricanes. Maybe we will end up in Crystal Beach.

Good luck to you !

Old 12-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Im very fond of Chesapeake, specificly the Great Bridge area. Stop in Great Bridge Lock Park and walk the path out to the end of the pennilsula to watch the boats on the Elizabeth River. Continue this path to where the GB Lock is. Sit on the bleachers and watch the snowbirds navigating their yachts down the ICW.
What is this "ICW" you speak of? By the way, "Continue this path to where the Great Bridge Lock is"

What exactly is the Lock?

Old 12-22-2007, 04:57 PM

ICW is the Intercoastal Waterway.......... I am just taking a guess, but I am pretty sure that is what it means.

I used to work in Chesapeake right on the ICW at a place called Lock's Pointe right near the Lock's bridge.........I think that might be what desertsun41 was refering to.

Have you considered N.C.? I just know that the housing in Hampton Roads in very high right now, even for undesirable areas. That is one of the reasons I moved. You may end up finding a place though that is perfect for you guys and money may not even be a factor for you both. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Well another reason I didn't list for wanting to live in Hampton Roads area of VA is simply because its NOT NC. Lived there for 18 yrs and didn't really enjoy it. Not sure how I feel about it now, honestly. If I strike out in VA then I will look into some spots in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area