Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 PM

52 posts, read 67,736 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Fort Worth Texas. I am contemplating a move to your area as my family has migrated to northern VA/DC area over the years and I want to be closer to them yet my dream is also to be close to the beach. So why the question even of considering Portsmouth and not just VA Beach? Possible job opportunity. How do the two cities compare in general? I have been to VA Beach briefly. I did notice some different demographics, I guess I will hear a lot less Spanish up there! My parents are also pushing Richmond on me, not too far from the beach and lots of healthcare opportunities. I come from a pretty big city (about 750,000 here, plus Dallas nearby and its millions). But I don't think your area would feel too small to me. Once I decide (or if a job offer decides for me), I will be back to ask about safe neighborhoods for a single gal, but first I have these questions about Portsmouth vs Virginia Beach...

1) I work in healthcare, are there more hospitals and nursing homes in Portsmouth or VA Beach?

2) I am a vegetarian and very green-friendly, in which city am I more likely to find kindred spirits and compatible restaurants?

3) Is it realistic to live on Sandbridge Island and work in VA Beach? Or is the commute terrible? I have been there, I know there is only 1 road to get in and out.

Thanks a bunch!
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:59 PM

18 posts, read 22,746 times
Va Beach is much more desirable than Portsmouth on many levels, also more hospitals in Va beach. Not sure about the other stuff. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Honestly, it all depends.

I am a huge fan of Old Towne Portsmouth, though, and find its charm more appealing than Virginia Beach's night life despite living in VB for many, many years. In a head to head competition, I would probably prefer to live and work in Virginia Beach and visit P-town, but that is mostly because if my interest in being here was to be near a beach, I would not want there to be any tolls involved! This is as a single person, without children.... which it sounds like you are?

From the friends I have who live in Sandbridge - it is manageable during the winter and a nightmare during tourist season!

I think if I were to get a job in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Norfolk, I would probably choose to live around the Birdneck area if I wanted to be near the beach. You're close enough to be able to bike there (about eight blocks) and also far enough away that you don't always have all of the extra tourist traffic in the summers. You're also close to the highway so a commute to other areas is never too bad.

In the Birdneck area, you are close to Whole Foods, Heritage Natural Market, Trader Joe's.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:30 AM

553 posts, read 616,636 times
VB is larger and has a lot more stuff in general -- vegetarian-friendly restaurants are no exception.

Commuting from Sandbridge Beach (which, despite the name of the restaurant there, is not an island) to wherever else in VB is doable (Sentara Princess Anne and VB General Hospital are within a half-hour drive, for example). If an accident closes Sandbridge Road, traffic is rerouted through the normally-closed back gate of NAS Oceana Dam Neck Annex (Sandpiper Road/Regulus Ave) to Dam Neck Road. As randomlikeme mentioned, traffic there gets worse during the tourist season. I'd prefer to just save the potential hassle and live in areas like Strawbridge, Red Mill, or Ocean Lakes, which are closer to the rest of the city while being "close enough" to the beach.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, this is helpful. What about living in VA Beach in working in Portsmouth, if I am offered a job there? Is that a long commute?

Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 PM

Also how does VA Beach compare to Richmond? Aside from the obvious that Richmond does not have a beach? If I can deal with being a couple of hours away from the beach, I think Richmond may have a lot of options for jobs, but I wondered what other ways it is different from the Hampton Roads area. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
The hospital in Portsmouth, Maryview, has a very bad reputation. Several people I know, myself included, would sooner risk trying to get to any other hospital in the area than go there.

You would not want to make that commute on a daily basis due to tolls and heavy traffic. Generally in this area you should try to avoid crossing any of the tunnels during your work commute.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 5,688 times
If you are looking for kindred community VB is more likely the place you want to live. https://www.facebook.com/vegvb Vegan and vegetarian restaurants are popping up in the area. Great yoga places if that is something you enjoy. Sandbridge is beautiful, but I would imagine you would want to find work in VB if that is your desired location. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the link!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 5,688 times
One more https://www.facebook.com/groups/46079487106/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area